Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Cory - You have me thinking about tinting the rear window now. The sun certainly does scorch the back of the head and neck. Please keep us posted with what you do.

Gary,

I ended up leaving it as it is for now. I don't have much room to work with at the moment, and even less storage space to keep all the individual pieces, so I decided to just throw it back together for now. I got the seal all cleaned up today and all reassembled the whole thing is in pretty nice condition for what it is. For $35 bucks, I'd say it was a good junkyard score. The semi-gloss black worked out perfect for the frames/bars.

IMG_9580.jpg.3e893740b14cd7bf54f0e3682570ccb9.jpg

It took a while to scrape all of the crud out of the main seal, and I scrubbed the tracks and grooves all clean with a toothbrush and Spray-9. Made a bit of a mess in the process, but it all came out really clean.

IMG_9579.jpg.f150ea7493a6c2060210655448bec9d9.jpg

Ahh well, on to other things for now.

Cory - You have me thinking about tinting the rear window now. The sun certainly does scorch the back of the head and neck. Please keep us posted with what you do.

Gary,

I ended up leaving it as it is for now. I don't have much room to work with at the moment, and even less storage space to keep all the individual pieces, so I decided to just throw it back together for now. I got the seal all cleaned up today and all reassembled the whole thing is in pretty nice condition for what it is. For $35 bucks, I'd say it was a good junkyard score. The semi-gloss black worked out perfect for the frames/bars.

It took a while to scrape all of the crud out of the main seal, and I scrubbed the tracks and grooves all clean with a toothbrush and Spray-9. Made a bit of a mess in the process, but it all came out really clean.

Ahh well, on to other things for now.

My shocks arrived today.

Next, ball joints, and I'll have everything.

Here's a few pics of nothing new:

IMG_20191227_172410.jpg.9341798930ed8e5071d539701975ad4f.jpg Fogs only.

IMG_20191227_172417.jpg.b1dc17012d04b087f56682edc6074217.jpgFogs with low beams.

IMG_20191227_172423.jpg.07db60323a9f44faa4653fdd793ac26a.jpg Fogs with high beams.

I think I'm going to cut the (30) from the bus for the Fogs and put it on (87) of the low beam relay, so they can ONLY be on with low, and not high.

Or maybe put it on (87A) of the high beam relay, so they can be on any time the Highs are off.

Opinions?

My shocks arrived today.

Fogs only.

Fogs with low beams.

Fogs with high beams.

I think I'm going to cut the (30) from the bus for the Fogs and put it on (87) of the low beam relay, so they can ONLY be on with low, and not high.

Or maybe put it on (87A) of the high beam relay, so they can be on any time the Highs are off.

Opinions?

Cory - That does look good, but you made a mess when doing it. Glad you have some place you can do that and not cause a problem. So, what's next?

Jim - I think I'd put the fogs on the high beam relay's 87A. You already have it wired for power, so just have to put a female quick-disconnect on there and be done with it.

My shocks arrived today.

Fogs only.

Fogs with low beams.

Fogs with high beams.

Opinions?

Jim, I have a set of ball joints from Bronco GY I mis-ordered last year when I did mine. If you want them, they're yours for cost of shipping. If you want details, drop me an email and I'll find the order sheet.

Cory - That does look good, but you made a mess when doing it. Glad you have some place you can do that and not cause a problem. So, what's next?

Jim - I think I'd put the fogs on the high beam relay's 87A. You already have it wired for power, so just have to put a female quick-disconnect on there and be done with it.

Can't really see much, but I got the seals and bearings swapped on the axles, 3rd member reinstalled, brakes completely replaced and buttoned up. Tomorrow I'll get the brake lines all flushed and get the brakes bled and rear diff fluid in. Truck should be back on the ground and I'll start putting the clutch and trans back on the motor so I can get it dropped in.

IMG_20191227_164049.thumb.jpg.87a7cdefd6e14d006392d53f4cfd7bb9.jpg

Can't really see much, but I got the seals and bearings swapped on the axles, 3rd member reinstalled, brakes completely replaced and buttoned up. Tomorrow I'll get the brake lines all flushed and get the brakes bled and rear diff fluid in. Truck should be back on the ground and I'll start putting the clutch and trans back on the motor so I can get it dropped in.

Those are wonderful times!!!

So, you're suggesting any time the high beams are off, rather than only when the lows are on?

I did get eight nylon spacers at Lowe's this morning.

So, once I have them spaced forward and properly aimed/focused I'll be able to see if they need more cutoff.

So, you're suggesting any time the high beams are off, rather than only when the lows are on?

I did get eight nylon spacers at Lowe's this morning.

So, once I have them spaced forward and properly aimed/focused I'll be able to see if they need more cutoff.

Didn’t think of that. I would want to be able to control the fogs separately from the other lights. So another relay that is controlled by a switch and powered from the high beam relay’s 87A or the low beam’s 87 terminal? Do you have room for another relay?

Didn’t think of that. I would want to be able to control the fogs separately from the other lights. So another relay that is controlled by a switch and powered from the high beam relay’s 87A or the low beam’s 87 terminal? Do you have room for another relay?

For what it's worth, I have the power to my fog light switch coming from my running lights. So the fogs are on any time both the running lights and the fog light switch are on. That way I can leave the fog light switch on and just push the headlight knob all the way in and the fog lights go off, but then come on again when I turn the headlights back on. And they stay on whenever the running lights are on, which means with both high and low beams.

And while I'm at it... I have two separate ways to turn on the auxiliary lights I have on the back of my truck. One is a rocker switch under the dash (that lights up red as a warning that I shouldn't be driving like that, the fog light switch is blue). The other is they will come on when the fog lights are on (meaning fog light switch on and running lights on) and the trans is in reverse. So they automatically come on as backup lights when my fog lights are on, or I can turn them on manually, for when I'm hooking up a trailer at night or something.

Gary, I wouldn't need any 'other' relay.

I have one for the fog lights, that already have a switch independent of the headlamp switch.

If I took that relay and powered it from 87A of the high beam relay they would go out automatically if I put the high beams on, but could be used by themselves, or with the low beams.

It I hooked it to 87 of the low beams I would only be able to use them with the low beams.

Running the trigger wire from the marker lamp circuit -through the fog light switch- is a third option I hadn't even considered....

I have my reverse lights in the factory backup light tap.

I have my bed/work lights run from a constant power micro toggle switch i have on the interior light.

So I can just reach up by my head and click those on at any time.

It's really useful in these short winter days when I'm loading or unloading the truck in the dark.

But they do provide 'fill' light for the reverse lamps (which intentionally) don't point up or straight back, dazzling drivers behind.