Bullnose Forum

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

It certainly looks like they're getting ready for it!

Sand and a stove???

I think what it's like in Buffalo, international Falls, or Medicine Lake, and then I think that there's a whole Nation farther north!

Just checked the extended forcast were heading up to the great lakes in a couple weeks, going to be snow all through the mountains on that trip, and some nice chilly lake effect snow.... It was 81 here Tuesday.

It certainly looks like they're getting ready for it!

Sand and a stove???

I think what it's like in Buffalo, international Falls, or Medicine Lake, and then I think that there's a whole Nation farther north!

Just checked the extended forcast were heading up to the great lakes in a couple weeks, going to be snow all through the mountains on that trip, and some nice chilly lake effect snow.... It was 81 here Tuesday.

I got the new Motorcraft BS44P spark plugs gapped and installed today as well as putting the glove box liner I received from Gary today. The glove box liner was not a perfect fit as it's deeper on the drivers side of the liner than the cardboard one that was original to the truck. It buts up against the heater box but I made a new hole on that side for the top screw and the glove box door still closes with no trimming necessary. It will work just fine for me and will serve it's purpose well. Again, thanks Gary and God bless you and Janey and the rest of your family as well.

Location of new hole for upper screw

Glove_Box_002.jpg.5cae055bd080b4d2674094e6983a4e6c.jpg

Glove box installed

Glove_Box_001.jpg.c18a72cba6d654dbb851c045373f436f.jpg

I got the new Motorcraft BS44P spark plugs gapped and installed today as well as putting the glove box liner I received from Gary today. The glove box liner was not a perfect fit as it's deeper on the drivers side of the liner than the cardboard one that was original to the truck. It buts up against the heater box but I made a new hole on that side for the top screw and the glove box door still closes with no trimming necessary. It will work just fine for me and will serve it's purpose well. Again, thanks Gary and God bless you and Janey and the rest of your family as well.

Location of new hole for upper screw

Glove box installed

That’s ingenious, Frank. Glad you got it to work. 👍

That’s ingenious, Frank. Glad you got it to work. 👍

The rain finally let up today so although it was muddy (and 20° colder!) I managed to swap in my power distribution box.

IMG_20191215_152025.thumb.jpg.69a9c9236b053dd2b9a0608c146a39c5.jpg

IMG_20191215_152040.thumb.jpg.f855ca5f2228acff4d7561fad6473805.jpg

It got a bit involved as I removed the battery tray, drivers side kick panel and mat, took loose the radiator and neatened up a bunch of harness.

But it's all in (though the fog lights are going to have to wait until the ground dries out)

I did end up with some spares.

The rain finally let up today so although it was muddy (and 20° colder!) I managed to swap in my power distribution box.

It got a bit involved as I removed the battery tray, drivers side kick panel and mat, took loose the radiator and neatened up a bunch of harness.

But it's all in (though the fog lights are going to have to wait until the ground dries out)

I did end up with some spares.

Jim - Looks really good. :nabble_anim_claps:

Nice job.

Thank you both! :nabble_anim_handshake:

I did discover that I had lost a low beam filament on the passenger side (tucked in front of the battery) :nabble_smiley_angry:

Argh! Take it out again!

That had me chasing my tail for a bit, as I tried to figure out what I had screwed up... :nabble_smiley_blush:

In that, I gave thought to the 9004 bulb's 65W high beam rating..

130W @ approximately 13V comes to only 10A, and my truck's 3G has the 14.35V LRC regulator, so it's even less than that.

Plus, the entirety of that run (including the newly cleaned ground to the fender, and back to the battery) is under three feet of 14Ga. wire....

Gives me pause, to think how marginal the factory wiring through the headlamp switch really is.

A headlamp relay harness makes a HUGE difference, at least in my truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

Jim - Looks really good. :nabble_anim_claps:

The factory connector you see tucked beneath the Mega Fuse is the Lt Gn/Red excite wire that follows the starter cable to the alternator.

A whole bunch of convolute loom was so crunchy and brittle it literally crumbled, and quite a bit of the wrap was ready to fall off as well.

I need to restock that Tesa tape now.. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

ETA: You can see the two old holes that held my fender relay, and the sanded spots that made for good case ground to the inner fender.

I'm glad to have the rats nest of fusible links and added circuits cleaned up!

The factory connector you see tucked beneath the Mega Fuse is the Lt Gn/Red excite wire that follows the starter cable to the alternator.

A whole bunch of convolute loom was so crunchy and brittle it literally crumbled, and quite a bit of the wrap was ready to fall off as well.

I need to restock that Tesa tape now.. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

ETA: You can see the two old holes that held my fender relay, and the sanded spots that made for good case ground to the inner fender.

I'm glad to have the rats nest of fusible links and added circuits cleaned up!

So, what was wrong with the headlight?

And, I fully agree that the factory wiring was just barely adequate - when new. And it isn't new, as witnessed by the convolute. So relays are a big improvement, both in lighting and in safety.

As for the starter relay, what is the current rating of your new one?

Last, it REALLY feels good to get things cleaned up with neat, orderly runs. The fuse link runs just drive me up the wall! Another reason I want to take them out and run to the PDC and fuses.

So, what was wrong with the headlight?

And, I fully agree that the factory wiring was just barely adequate - when new. And it isn't new, as witnessed by the convolute. So relays are a big improvement, both in lighting and in safety.

As for the starter relay, what is the current rating of your new one?

Last, it REALLY feels good to get things cleaned up with neat, orderly runs. The fuse link runs just drive me up the wall! Another reason I want to take them out and run to the PDC and fuses.

A broken filament???

40A.

The fuselinks are still there, they're just tucked out of sight.

I did lose this though...

IMG_20191216_084806.thumb.jpg.fa35128deba897519112d702cb5d8e4e.jpg