Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Cool! Keep us posted.

I didn't DO anything to my truck today, but the starter has been getting finicky to engage.

I'm thinking the throwout is worn, or maybe the grease has packed up (it seems to work better warm?)

Anyway, I need to address that and work on the fog lights/relay box soon.

I have a D44 spindle puller on order.

Thinking of going to horrid fate for a ball joint press.

That's going this be a major job, laying on the ground.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't DO anything to my truck today, but the starter has been getting finicky to engage.

I'm thinking the throwout is worn, or maybe the grease has packed up (it seems to work better warm?)

Shame you aren't coming this way, I just bought a Horrible Freight ball joint press. I thought I was going to be doing them in a 1997 F150, but he had it done with some other work. I do have all but one piece of the D44 axle kit from Ford, the inner seal driver is missing from it, everything else including the ball joint cups are there.

My HF ball joint press has done the job, although it is getting somewhat warped. But it still works. However, laying on the ground to do it will NOT be fun. In my case I have to use the air-powered impact to finally break them loose, so leave room for it to get in there.

As for the starter, perhaps it needs the lube cleaned out and renewed?

My HF ball joint press has done the job, although it is getting somewhat warped. But it still works. However, laying on the ground to do it will NOT be fun. In my case I have to use the air-powered impact to finally break them loose, so leave room for it to get in there.

Really? Air??? :nabble_smiley_what:

I don't like the sound of that, but beam bushings, shackles, u-joints, diff fluid and seals need done, and my right lower ball joint is loose.

That is why I asked you about the adapters you made for your HF tool.

Some combination of breaker bar, heat and a BIG hammer is going to have to do.

Bill, I didn't realize Ford had a tool kit for the 44, but it makes perfect sense.

On further consideration the starter motor contacts don't "make" until the solenoid fully pulls in, and the throwout is positively controlled by that solenoid in both directions.

So... either the solenoid stud has pulled through the rocker arm, or the teeth are gone on one or the other..

It is engaging sometimes, and the motor always spins.

I'm going to wait for more light under the truck, and maybe the frost to melt off.

On further consideration the starter motor contacts don't "make" until the solenoid fully pulls in, and the throwout is positively controlled by that solenoid in both directions.

So... either the solenoid stud has pulled through the rocker arm, or the teeth are gone on one or the other..

It is engaging sometimes, and the motor always spins.

I'm going to wait for more light under the truck, and maybe the frost to melt off.

I had to use my air impact to pull the ball joints on Dad's truck, but didn't have to on Big Blue. So perhaps you won't need the extra oomph to get yours. But it still doesn't sound like fun.

On the starter, it doesn't sound like just a lubrication problem. Frost? Yipes! Good luck!!!!

On the starter, it doesn't sound like just a lubrication problem. Frost? Yipes! Good luck!!!!

Definitely a worn starter gear.

IMG_20191130_084739.thumb.jpg.b1b22268154f163b50f4191a5f815035.jpg

I'm going to swap with my 'core' starter.

People ask why I keep "junk".

Usually so I don't have to go back to the store for the core return.

This time it paid off twofold. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Definitely a worn starter gear.

I'm going to swap with my 'core' starter.

People ask why I keep "junk".

Usually so I don't have to go back to the store for the core return.

This time it paid off twofold. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Yes, that gear is badly worn. Why do you think it did that?

As for keeping "junk", ask the guys that have been here. I not only keep MY junk, but I have junk from many others. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Yes, that gear is badly worn. Why do you think it did that?

As for keeping "junk", ask the guys that have been here. I not only keep MY junk, but I have junk from many others. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Not only was the gear worn, but the clutch was not always engaging.

I suspect that was the real problem.

So I pieced together one from both.

Cleaned, lubed, rattle bombed and dated the bitsa starter.

It's up to 35 now, and the sun is shining.

Did I mention how much my hands prefer the horrid fate composite ratchets in the cold? 😉

Not only was the gear worn, but the clutch was not always engaging.

I suspect that was the real problem.

So I pieced together one from both.

Cleaned, lubed, rattle bombed and dated the bitsa starter.

It's up to 35 now, and the sun is shining.

Did I mention how much my hands prefer the horrid fate composite ratchets in the cold? 😉

Just dropping by to say hi.

Have not exactly dropped off the face of the planet, but projects are shelved for a while as we are fixing up a small acreage and moving.

Hope everyone is well and hope you had a great time at the Skiatook gathering this year.