Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Well I know that but I prefer a belts and suspenders approach, when that’s an option at least...

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Cleaner-Conditioner-Protector-8-4-Ounce/dp/B000R4PFFO

I think the UV protection is the key.

And I can't think of a more abusive environment than sitting in the sun, on the water.

"3M Marine Vinyl Cleaner and Restorer cleans, shines and protects vinyl, rubber and plastic surfaces. It deep cleans dirt and grime, enhances appearance and restores natural sheen to vinyl. This fast-cleaning formula is recommended for keeping vinyl in tip-top shape."

Where I'm from, all we have is Dunkin' and Starbucks. Both equally terrible in my opinion. We have some smaller coffee shops here and there, but they aren't places I would want to stop by every morning.

Whenever I'm in the US, I usually go to Dunkin'. In my mind, that would be the closest thing to Tim Horton's. I don't really care for Starbucks coffee, but will drink it if I have to. Truth be told, I don't actually drink Tim's coffee all that often...not from the stores at least. We make our own at home, and I stop by in the morning for a bagel and to read a free newspaper. By the time I get to Tim's, I usually already have a half a gallon of coffee in me...lol. I've been able to give up (or greatly reduce) a lot of my bad habits over the years, but coffee isn't one of them.

Some Canadians are hardcore Tim's drinkers though. I'd bet anybody a weeks wages that you could walk up to a Tim's drive through, anywhere in the country, and you'll find at least one guy sippin' on a coffee in his vehicle while ordering another one...lol.

I like the gel.

It doesn't get all over the windshield.

Yep, it's probably all snake oil.

But anything that blocks UV and keeps the plasticizers from evaporating is a step in the right direction.

I just spray the 303 on a towel and wipe it on. That way it doesn't get on the windshield.

And, as I'm sure you know, that stuff that we find on our windshields is the plasticizer that evaporates out of the many plastics in the truck on a hot day.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's I was spending a lot of time at Conoco's PCV plant in OKC. And the windshield of my '69 Bee was getting plastered with that stuff as it sat out in the parking lot. So I asked one of the chemical engineers at the plant about it and he explained how the plasticizer keeps the material flexible, but that it does bake out at high temps. And, while you can coat it with things like ArmorAll, which is pretty much all we had at the time, that really doesn't put the plasticizer back.

So then our talk turned to the quality of the material. He explained that ours wasn't up to spec for GM or Ford, but was used by Chrysler - which would explain why the back seat's upholstery broke when my Lab walked across it a few days later.

I think plastic/vinyl has come a long, long way since then as I don't see nearly as much plasticizer on the windshield of my vehicles as I did then. (But then, they rarely sit out.) So I'm hoping the new dash pads will last longer than they did "back in the day". But, I will also keep the one I plan to buy for Dad's truck coated with something, like 303 or the the 3M stuff.

I just spray the 303 on a towel and wipe it on. That way it doesn't get on the windshield.

And, as I'm sure you know, that stuff that we find on our windshields is the plasticizer that evaporates out of the many plastics in the truck on a hot day.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's I was spending a lot of time at Conoco's PCV plant in OKC. And the windshield of my '69 Bee was getting plastered with that stuff as it sat out in the parking lot. So I asked one of the chemical engineers at the plant about it and he explained how the plasticizer keeps the material flexible, but that it does bake out at high temps. And, while you can coat it with things like ArmorAll, which is pretty much all we had at the time, that really doesn't put the plasticizer back.

So then our talk turned to the quality of the material. He explained that ours wasn't up to spec for GM or Ford, but was used by Chrysler - which would explain why the back seat's upholstery broke when my Lab walked across it a few days later.

I think plastic/vinyl has come a long, long way since then as I don't see nearly as much plasticizer on the windshield of my vehicles as I did then. (But then, they rarely sit out.) So I'm hoping the new dash pads will last longer than they did "back in the day". But, I will also keep the one I plan to buy for Dad's truck coated with something, like 303 or the the 3M stuff.

Yep, once they've baked in the sun for years, they're pretty much done. Even the ones in the medium duty trucks are done at this point. My F150 had a near perfect dash pad that came from an 1982 F250, but even then you could tell it was very dry and at any moment it could crack. I tried everything to protect it but nothing could bring it's pliability back.

Yep, once they've baked in the sun for years, they're pretty much done. Even the ones in the medium duty trucks are done at this point. My F150 had a near perfect dash pad that came from an 1982 F250, but even then you could tell it was very dry and at any moment it could crack. I tried everything to protect it but nothing could bring it's pliability back.

The dash I found seemed pretty good and must’ve been cared for in some fashion or at least shoved in a wooded forest to rot in the shade- seems popular here in Oregon. I don’t have a garage to park in which is why I’m trying to be extra careful. I also purchased a sunshade which according to the specs would fit these trucks but it doesn’t. Too tall and narrow. Has anyone found a good shade that actually fits our windshields? I’m not even finding many options for a custom piece. It seems like it would need to be around 64 inches long by 29 inches tall. For now I’ve just been using it in tandem with a bedsheet to keep the sun off the dash as trashy as that looks. I might try and make one if I get desperate.

Gary - I wonder if that’s what’s happening to my Saturn. It’s spent most of it 20 years Parked in the sun and I’ve noticed in the last year or so the windshield seems to be “oilier“. However the interior plastics look pretty darn good considering it’s never really been parked in a garage.

The dash I found seemed pretty good and must’ve been cared for in some fashion or at least shoved in a wooded forest to rot in the shade- seems popular here in Oregon. I don’t have a garage to park in which is why I’m trying to be extra careful. I also purchased a sunshade which according to the specs would fit these trucks but it doesn’t. Too tall and narrow. Has anyone found a good shade that actually fits our windshields? I’m not even finding many options for a custom piece. It seems like it would need to be around 64 inches long by 29 inches tall. For now I’ve just been using it in tandem with a bedsheet to keep the sun off the dash as trashy as that looks. I might try and make one if I get desperate.

Gary - I wonder if that’s what’s happening to my Saturn. It’s spent most of it 20 years Parked in the sun and I’ve noticed in the last year or so the windshield seems to be “oilier“. However the interior plastics look pretty darn good considering it’s never really been parked in a garage.

May well be what is happening. Should help to slather either vehicle's plastic with one of the protectants.

We used to make a witches brew of benzine or xylene and mint oil to rejuvinate the pliability of rubber, and add tackyness to tires when tire warmers were not allowed.

All I can say is that rubber -(carburetor)- boots would become like new, though it did take a few days for the swelling to go down.

I bet there's something like that for plastics (if not the same salicylic acid)

I use these on my truck and Bronco. Usually find them AT Bi-Mart, maybe NAPA.

http://www.floridafreshner.com/accessory_detail.php?prd=1478#.XW09vBplChA