Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, that “Buy With One Click” gets me every time. But eBay is almost as good - since I have an account set up it only takes a few clicks. David and Jonathan keep finding me things. 🙈

Anyway, I thank you again for all of your efforts. 👍

As for what I’ve done to, with, or for my trucks today, nada. I spent the whole day liaising with people to repair our fence and with plumbers to fix two of those kinds of problems. But as I walked the yard with those guys I did note the large number of oil drops on the driveway from Big Blue, and remembered the oil on the front of the trailer - both a result of the 100-mile trip to go get the ‘90 on Saturday.

Given that, I think it is essentially time to “fix” Big Blue. With the valve covers here, the release arm on order, and the crossmember and alternator coming in from Jim, I think I’ll soon have most of the needed parts to do the job.

But there is one last question - is this the right oil pan? The current pan leaks like a sieve, so has to go. I’ve considered pulling the pan off the ‘90, but it is just like the one I have, which leaks where the dip stick attaches. Yes, I could fix that like I did for Dad’s truck, but why not go with a new pan and one-piece gasket?

Ok, back to oil pans for Big Blue. David/1986F150Six sent me a link to an oil pan on eBay that says it is OEM for an 1989 - 92 F250 w/a 460. And, it uses a push-in dip stick tube. Hmmm, Vernon sent me with a NOS dip stick tube and dip stick. Maybe this will be yet-another marriage made in heaven. :nabble_anim_jump:

So, off to the attic I went and pulled the dip stick and tube. Then I went to the parts catalog to ensure they'll fit w/the oil pan. They are, E5TZ 6750-C and E5TZ 6754-B. But, they don't show in the catalog. Well, what do you know - the search function found them. :nabble_smiley_scared:

Vernons_Dip_Stick_and_Tube.jpg.ffb55a963f13a1765094178ba5d36fbc.jpg

Ok, so if the one David found takes a push-in dip stick tube and is for an 89 - 92 F250 and the 1/2 truck is a 90, then it should have a push-in tube: :nabble_smiley_grin:

DSCN2599.thumb.jpg.0586f4073705a3120e3a9c4b2fc04c41.jpg

So, it looks like I can modernize Big Blue with the 90's oil pan. Right? The sump is the same on a carb'd engine and an EFI engine? Or at least the pans will interchange?

Ok, back to oil pans for Big Blue. David/1986F150Six sent me a link to an oil pan on eBay that says it is OEM for an 1989 - 92 F250 w/a 460. And, it uses a push-in dip stick tube. Hmmm, Vernon sent me with a NOS dip stick tube and dip stick. Maybe this will be yet-another marriage made in heaven. :nabble_anim_jump:

So, off to the attic I went and pulled the dip stick and tube. Then I went to the parts catalog to ensure they'll fit w/the oil pan. They are, E5TZ 6750-C and E5TZ 6754-B. But, they don't show in the catalog. Well, what do you know - the search function found them. :nabble_smiley_scared:

Ok, so if the one David found takes a push-in dip stick tube and is for an 89 - 92 F250 and the 1/2 truck is a 90, then it should have a push-in tube: :nabble_smiley_grin:

So, it looks like I can modernize Big Blue with the 90's oil pan. Right? The sump is the same on a carb'd engine and an EFI engine? Or at least the pans will interchange?

Loop handle = ferrule oil pan attachment

T-handle= push in.

The front oil pan bolt holes in the timing case became bigger at some point, but I don't know when.

Loop handle = ferrule oil pan attachment

T-handle= push in.

The front oil pan bolt holes in the timing case became bigger at some point, but I don't know when.

Last first - larger holes shouldn't be a problem for using the 90's pan on Big Blue, but I may have to drill out the holes in his oil pan to put it on the 90's engine. Right?

But, on the T-handle vs loop thing, the 90 has a loop handle with F0TZ on it, but I'm pretty sure the tube doesn't have a ferrule. What am I missing?

DSCN2601.thumb.jpg.5793fde4800481ac95db3f3d2bc33c3d.jpg

1990s_Dip_Stick_Tube.thumb.jpg.72be43533a4bfd8a0c27466fcf637feb.jpg

Last first - larger holes shouldn't be a problem for using the 90's pan on Big Blue, but I may have to drill out the holes in his oil pan to put it on the 90's engine. Right?

But, on the T-handle vs loop thing, the 90 has a loop handle with F0TZ on it, but I'm pretty sure the tube doesn't have a ferrule. What am I missing?

Sorry, I don't know anything but what I've seen.

I do not have a optical drive to look at the manuals.

The FRPP pan comes with the T-handle.

Sorry, I don't know anything but what I've seen.

I do not have a optical drive to look at the manuals.

The FRPP pan comes with the T-handle.

I'm not questioning your knowledge. Just trying to ensure I have what I think I have - a pan w/a push-in tube. Right?

If so, it would seem like a slam dunk to put it on BB's engine and vice versa, saving ~$150 or so in the process, and making the $800 investment for the '90 seem a little better/less bad. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Gary, it looks like the nut is missing. The 90 engine from the parts truck had the same style pan as the 86. just used the one piece gasket (which needs backing bars down each side to clamp properly). The pan I got from Summit is a Ford racing pan kit, pan, dipstick w/tube, pickup and bolt for the location the pickup attaches to the main cap.

Gary, it looks like the nut is missing. The 90 engine from the parts truck had the same style pan as the 86. just used the one piece gasket (which needs backing bars down each side to clamp properly). The pan I got from Summit is a Ford racing pan kit, pan, dipstick w/tube, pickup and bolt for the location the pickup attaches to the main cap.

Bill - I may have to wait until I pull the engine, but here's a cropped image of the pic above and I don't see any threads. Wouldn't they be visible in this pic?

1990s_Dip_Stick_Tube_-_Cropped.thumb.jpg.9be97bc6a9bec55619e2b99961efaeb2.jpg

Bill - I may have to wait until I pull the engine, but here's a cropped image of the pic above and I don't see any threads. Wouldn't they be visible in this pic?

They should be, but, the hole looks pretty funky around the edge of the tube, like maybe it got the threads chewed up?

AllData shows the following PNs for 460 pans:

1983-88 E7UZ-6675-A (1977 Bronco maybe originally)

1989-92 E9TZ-6675-B (should still be screw in, parts truck was)

1993-97 F3TZ-6675-A (push-in tube with clip and O-ring)

Hope this helps, I couldn't find the 1990 dipstick and tube, but maybe I did, just didn't recognize it as there was no nut on it, just a straight section and a "bulge" on it like would press into a block or timing cover.