Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I've done a few things to my truck yesterday. I replaced the broken exhaust donut gasket that I was unable to convince the muffler shop to replace, even though they had a torch to heat the flange nuts and air tools. A little PB Blaster and a 1/2" drive breaker bar and they came loose. I replaced the sintered iron one with the Felpro composite donut as the iron one wasn't even all there any more. No wonder why it had gotten so loud. I adjusted the distributor for a little more advance at idle. I still need to drive it to determine if it will be OK or if I'll have to take some back out, now that I'll be able to hear if it is pinging. I also removed a spider web of messed up plastic vacuum lines and I have every thing hooked back up and functioning except the vapor recovery. I'll have to get some new vacuum line and connectors and get it hooked back up. The choke hot air tube also got replaced and it is working again so far.

You were BUSY! Getting the exhaust off is an accomplishment alone, but to get all the rest of that done is excellent! :nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You were BUSY! Getting the exhaust off is an accomplishment alone, but to get all the rest of that done is excellent! :nabble_smiley_good:

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be based on my previous replacement of that donut. I could not see the nuts before so this time I took the air cleaner pre-heat stove off and was able to see the nuts this time. That made the job much easier. It still took me the most part of my available daylight due to the limited use of my left arm due to a near fatal head on collision with a semi eight years ago that crushed it from my elbow to wrist. I am also VERY stiff due to nagging back issues since still, but it feels good to have gotten that out of the way. That was also the only thing that has been done to it in the last eight years other than the Thrush glass pack two years ago. Next will be heater core and maybe replace the differential as the rear pinion shaft bearing has no bearings in it. The rear axle has been like that for ten years by the way.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be based on my previous replacement of that donut. I could not see the nuts before so this time I took the air cleaner pre-heat stove off and was able to see the nuts this time. That made the job much easier. It still took me the most part of my available daylight due to the limited use of my left arm due to a near fatal head on collision with a semi eight years ago that crushed it from my elbow to wrist. I am also VERY stiff due to nagging back issues since still, but it feels good to have gotten that out of the way. That was also the only thing that has been done to it in the last eight years other than the Thrush glass pack two years ago. Next will be heater core and maybe replace the differential as the rear pinion shaft bearing has no bearings in it. The rear axle has been like that for ten years by the way.

Good job! Keep it up. I was in a car wreck in 1979, and a very serious car wreck in 1981. I'm limited on what I can do, and it ain't getting any better.

Those are great accomplishments and keeps your spirit going!

Good job! Keep it up. I was in a car wreck in 1979, and a very serious car wreck in 1981. I'm limited on what I can do, and it ain't getting any better.

Those are great accomplishments and keeps your spirit going!

Thanks.

Without knowing what your problems are I was impressed with what you got done. But knowing a bit about the problems makes the accomplishments even more impressive. Well done! :nabble_smiley_good:

Without knowing what your problems are I was impressed with what you got done. But knowing a bit about the problems makes the accomplishments even more impressive. Well done! :nabble_smiley_good:

Took brown out for a fun run, loaded with firewood, that old "6" never even grunted or squated, just took it on home.

Finished installing step boards, secured battery with new holdown, checked front brakes, got one rotor with a high spot, looks like new brakes and lines tho.Got new dash pad, just leting it lay and get the wrinkles out before I velcro it in place.wood_2.thumb.jpg.1413f1c5844b13f5f2c6c30059e67daf.jpg

Took brown out for a fun run, loaded with firewood, that old "6" never even grunted or squated, just took it on home.

Finished installing step boards, secured battery with new holdown, checked front brakes, got one rotor with a high spot, looks like new brakes and lines tho.Got new dash pad, just leting it lay and get the wrinkles out before I velcro it in place.

SCBill - Looks like you had a good day. :nabble_smiley_good:

And, I had a good day as well because I got my project done. :nabble_anim_jump:

First, a shot of what Eastwood's Reflective Chrome looks like: :nabble_smiley_happy:

DSCN3332.thumb.jpg.48b05cd8d16e30b02938e87f48b429e1.jpg

But, then I had a "realization" when I started sanding on a certain Chizzler's valve cover. And, that realization was that it is best to sand lettering and ribs flat before you do the base powder coat. Otherwise you'll find that the factory didn't waste any time making the letters flat and you'll have a LOT of sanding to do - all the while making sure you don't hit your new powder. This is after a lot of sanding, as witnessed by the aluminum running down the valve cover.

:nabble_smiley_sad:

DSCN3330.jpg.d451d591a17c9a73c5b8da29bb529a60.jpg

But, sometimes you get lucky. :nabble_smiley_wink: Here's what a coat of satin clear looks like before it is cured in the oven. (I heated the cover in the oven at 200 degrees for 30 minutes and then laid the powder down on it since it is hard to get electrostatic attraction through the base coat of powder. But uncured powder sticks to hot surfaces.)

DSCN3334.thumb.jpg.3ae9b6b59992de14d5c56afcbdf3d93f.jpg

And then, after curing it here's what the satin looks like:

DSCN3335.jpg.8156164583467e3143710757e4ef4873.jpg

First, a shot of what Eastwood's Reflective Chrome looks like: :nabble_smiley_happy:

But, then I had a "realization" when I started sanding on a certain Chizzler's valve cover. And, that realization was that it is best to sand lettering and ribs flat before you do the base powder coat. Otherwise you'll find that the factory didn't waste any time making the letters flat and you'll have a LOT of sanding to do - all the while making sure you don't hit your new powder. This is after a lot of sanding, as witnessed by the aluminum running down the valve cover.

But, sometimes you get lucky. :nabble_smiley_wink: Here's what a coat of satin clear looks like before it is cured in the oven. (I heated the cover in the oven at 200 degrees for 30 minutes and then laid the powder down on it since it is hard to get electrostatic attraction through the base coat of powder. But uncured powder sticks to hot surfaces.)

Very much aware of the amount of sanding needed. I had two young bucks doing the intake plenum and valve cover. One is related to me, the other was his neighbor at the time in Virginia Beach.

It looks great! I thought I had sent a semi-gloss for the convertible top hardware. You only really needed to do the best set of them, I guess I will keep the others for spares.

Right now, if we have some decently temperate weather, I am trying to get all the remaining windshield sealer off the body so I can clean up any rust and paint the area. After that I have to stick the dash shell in and top cover and measure what I need to come up with to fill the difference in windshield contour between the 1986 windshield and 1989 dash.

That looks amazing!

It also looks like a lot of tedious work

Great job. :nabble_smiley_good:

That looks amazing!

It also looks like a lot of tedious work

Great job. :nabble_smiley_good:

Fixed some wiring that got broken when I was hit by a friends truck image few weeks ago in my tail light. Replaced the lense with an aftermarket one. Also ordered 4 new chrome 6" KC lights and my black and red covers arrived in the mail today.