Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Now that it is fairly clean it is a fun place to work. And the lighting worked out pretty well. I downloaded software from a lighting company and designed the system with it. The lights are, as you can see, close to the walls and use them as reflectors. That gets the light under hoods, on the brakes you are working on w/o having your head create a shadow, under vehicles on the lift, etc.

Yes, looks good sir! As for the lighting software, it worked well for me too.

Yes, looks good sir! As for the lighting software, it worked well for me too.

Thanks, Bill. I'd forgotten about using it on your shop. :nabble_smiley_good:

It'll be next week before I get back to working on trucks since we have all the family here this week. Been looking forward to this time for quite a while, and it is finally here. :nabble_anim_jump:

So, I'll be scarce on here, but will check in early mornings and late at night. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Now that it is fairly clean it is a fun place to work. And the lighting worked out pretty well. I downloaded software from a lighting company and designed the system with it. The lights are, as you can see, close to the walls and use them as reflectors. That gets the light under hoods, on the brakes you are working on w/o having your head create a shadow, under vehicles on the lift, etc.

A few weeks ago I saw a leak from the radiator of my project so I used the pressure tester and found it coming from the lower hose nipple into the tank.

So today being it is getting colder and I still had water in the cooling system of my project and the leak I drained it.

Well just before I drained it I look the radiator over a little better and found 3 tubes by the tank and 1 in the center.

So looks like I am going to need a new radiator :'(

Dave ----

Thanks, Bill. I'd forgotten about using it on your shop. :nabble_smiley_good:

It'll be next week before I get back to working on trucks since we have all the family here this week. Been looking forward to this time for quite a while, and it is finally here. :nabble_anim_jump:

So, I'll be scarce on here, but will check in early mornings and late at night. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Not today, but Saturday, I had some wheel bearing noise and an occasional clunk, not loud in the left front. I removed the wheels one side at a time, pulled the calipers off and spun the hub/rotor assemblies. Left had a small amount of noise, but had enough play that the outer edge of the rotor moved at least 1/8" when moving the outer portion of the hub up and down. Not having a pair of seals, I carefully removed the hubs and examined the outer bearings, and looked at the grease in the cavity. I packed some more fresh grease in the cavity and did the outer bearings, re-tightened the bearings and no more noise, bearings looked great, brakes and steering are better now too. Warm weather task, redo both sides, get the rotors turned and new pads.

A few weeks ago I saw a leak from the radiator of my project so I used the pressure tester and found it coming from the lower hose nipple into the tank.

So today being it is getting colder and I still had water in the cooling system of my project and the leak I drained it.

Well just before I drained it I look the radiator over a little better and found 3 tubes by the tank and 1 in the center.

So looks like I am going to need a new radiator :'(

Dave ----

Dave - I thought I'd replied to this, but apparently haven't. Anyway, glad you found the leaks now. Otherwise you could have had serious on the road that could have been expensive. Not cheap now, but more so than later.

Bill - Good catch. I'm debating what to do for Dad's truck as I put it back together. The bearings look good, but I'm wondering if I should replace them anyway. However, I will have the rotors turned.

Dave - I thought I'd replied to this, but apparently haven't. Anyway, glad you found the leaks now. Otherwise you could have had serious on the road that could have been expensive. Not cheap now, but more so than later.

Bill - Good catch. I'm debating what to do for Dad's truck as I put it back together. The bearings look good, but I'm wondering if I should replace them anyway. However, I will have the rotors turned.

Not so much today, but this week...The engine has finally made it to the machine shop. I was able to get the exhaust manifold off of the exhaust without damaging either once I was able to climb inside the engine bay. I also took the old aluminum running boards off. The weather has been nasty cold here, so I have spent some time getting my shop (think half of a single car garage) ready. I have been setting up a new air compressor so that I will have some help on these 33 year old bolts.

If I can get a break in the weather that coincides with my time off work, I hope to drop the fuel tank and have a look at it.

Not so much today, but this week...The engine has finally made it to the machine shop. I was able to get the exhaust manifold off of the exhaust without damaging either once I was able to climb inside the engine bay. I also took the old aluminum running boards off. The weather has been nasty cold here, so I have spent some time getting my shop (think half of a single car garage) ready. I have been setting up a new air compressor so that I will have some help on these 33 year old bolts.

If I can get a break in the weather that coincides with my time off work, I hope to drop the fuel tank and have a look at it.

Refresh me - what are the plans for the engine? Stock? More compression?

I remember the days of working in a single-car garage, but not half of one. That's gotta be tight!

I remember the days of working in a single-car garage, but not half of one. That's gotta be tight!

Mostly what I did was website-related, but I did a bit of measuring on Big Blue. And I found that Big Blue's Lift Height (LH), the height of the rear of the bed above the ground, is supposed to be 36.04" when unloaded. However, with the large tool box on the front of the bed loaded and the large spare tire in the bed the measurement was 36.25".

Part of the problem seems to be the springs. According to the 1984 specifications the rear should have 5 leafs and be 2.01" thick at the pad. Instead they have 7 leafs and they measure 2.625".

I've been saying I need to remove some leafs, but I'm even more convinced that I'll be doing that next year.

:nabble_smiley_scared:

Hi, Gary. It will be farely stock. We will put a 4bbl and offy intake on it, and the guy doing the machine work will put a "towing" cam in it that he claims to really help. I will be honest that I am leaving that part up to my father as he is working that deal down in Georgia. I will try to get some more information as I have been curious about it, and he just mentioned it last night.

He turned the other helf of the garage into a usable room the my wife, and I get the cold half. :nabble_anim_confused:

IMG_20181016_162009209.jpg.30337d4f1151687ae878adcfdc4b37bf.jpg

I would like to have something larger, but in honesty, I haven't maximized the space I have. I think I will have by the end of this project.

Hi, Gary. It will be farely stock. We will put a 4bbl and offy intake on it, and the guy doing the machine work will put a "towing" cam in it that he claims to really help. I will be honest that I am leaving that part up to my father as he is working that deal down in Georgia. I will try to get some more information as I have been curious about it, and he just mentioned it last night.

He turned the other helf of the garage into a usable room the my wife, and I get the cold half. :nabble_anim_confused:

I would like to have something larger, but in honesty, I haven't maximized the space I have. I think I will have by the end of this project.

I'll bet it will work out very nicely. You'll be proud. :nabble_smiley_good: