Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Mowed the lawn. This poor mower has been with me for years after I rescued it from the bulk trash pickup from a neighbor. It bogs under “load”. Looks like I have a fuel delivery problem ? Plug looks hot (whitened in areas?)… compression number looks about the same as my other good mower that doesn’t bog.

Yes the compression number looks low.. but 2 mowers show the same. Maybe time to get a new gauge ?

4BC87356-E2BA-4305-8360-7AD8A5C1B849.thumb.jpeg.15ff2052ff9327580241261a757ec300.jpeg

Edited by viven44

I have finally been able to get back to work on my 81 F100.  Got the manifolds cleaned up and painted.  Went with Duplicolor ceramic Old Ford Blue engine paint for the intake and Rustoleum Semi-Gloss Black grill paint for the exhaust. Supposed to be good up to 1200 degrees. We shall see. I’m looking forward to seeing if the manifold stud “kit” I got will work as good as I think it will for keeping the one piece manifold gasket in place.  I can’t wait to get it fired up again and running well. It had vacuum leaks out the wazoo before I started taking it apart to clean and paint. 

IMG_5828.jpeg

IMG_5972.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/21/2024 at 4:31 PM, ArdWrknTrk said:

My nephew doesn't drive his Altima enough and the battery is always dead.

I have a similar GooLoo GT4000 boost pack that starts my truck fine, but there was nobody home (no way, no how!) with the Altima.

I connected my cables and you could hear the 3G pull my idle down.

Once I had forced enough juice that it would actually wake up, it started no problem and could charge itself.

Nissans, Altimas in particular, are notorious for eating up batteries. They have terrible electrical systems, evidenced by the massive amounts of corrosion that are almost always present on the terminals. Not a fan of those cars...

1 hour ago, Waylon109 said:

I have finally been able to get back to work on my 81 F100.  Got the manifolds cleaned up and painted.  Went with Duplicolor ceramic Old Ford Blue engine paint for the intake and Rustoleum Semi-Gloss Black grill paint for the exhaust. Supposed to be good up to 1200 degrees. We shall see. I’m looking forward to seeing if the manifold stud “kit” I got will work as good as I think it will for keeping the one piece manifold gasket in place.  I can’t wait to get it fired up again and running well. It had vacuum leaks out the wazoo before I started taking it apart to clean and paint. 

IMG_5828.jpeg

IMG_5972.jpeg

Honestly that looks more like Duplicolor Ford Dark Blue. Might just be the lighting. Looks great either way.

On 9/9/2024 at 11:32 AM, Sid51x said:

Finished the first weekend with the new to me rig. Have a long to-do list to get it up to a good enough baseline to start using it; and the Wife is not a fan of lawn ornaments.

- Valve cover gasket

- Push rod cover gasket

- New spark plugs

- New spark plug wires

- Oil change W/ Filter

- Harness repairs (A few spots where it was just the bare copper wire)

- New Air filter

- Tightened the Oil pan bolts

- Changed the wiper blades

- General oil cleanup

Plenty of fluids to change yet, and brakes to be bled, and a set of tires to get mounted (old ones are date stamped at least 20 years ago)

A few more to add to the list.

- Transmission Fluid swap (opted for MT-90 based on some of the hits in the community, so far it did smooth out the shifting for all but 1st)

- Accessory belts replaced

- Reverse light/backup light switch and pigtail replaced

- Reverse light bulb sockets replaced, and the bulbs with LEDs.

- 5 new tires mounted and balanced to replace the 20+ y/o ones (Toyo Open Country A/T 3)

- Sourced and installed a 27" All aluminum rad for the 1980-84 Bullnose (Reach Cooling Radiators 41-558)

- Modified/installed a shroud probably meant for a dual core, to use on the larger single core (NPD F-8146-18)

- Replaced the water pump that had a lot of shaft play, and the fan clutch.

- Replaced the headlights, and am trying my hand at the "Brighter headlights" mod (https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/headlight-wiring-harness.html), messy WIP, but certainly brightened them up.

The rig is getting healthier as I'm working on it, and driving it in general and feeling less like a level of "What have I gotten myself into?"

Spent this last week tracking down oil leaks and inspecting the undercarriage of my new project truck

-Checked all hoses for cracks and damage

-Flushed and replaced old power steering fluid

-Replaced valve cover gasket on driver side, passenger side still needs to be replaced

-Oil pan gasket is leaking will need to be replaced

-Noticed only my front gas tank was working while driving this weekend, will need to track down this issue at some point