Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

It is hard to tell from your picture, but it looks like you'll have to make a very tight turn - unless you put your air cleaner on a spacer. So if you have to turn tightly then that rubber one may not work.

I have an air cleaner spacer you can have and will bring it to the show. It will lift the air cleaner about 1 1/2" if I remember correctly, and that may be enough for you.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is hard to tell from your picture, but it looks like you'll have to make a very tight turn - unless you put your air cleaner on a spacer. So if you have to turn tightly then that rubber one may not work.

I have an air cleaner spacer you can have and will bring it to the show. It will lift the air cleaner about 1 1/2" if I remember correctly, and that may be enough for you.

Thanks Gary, I appreciate that!

The angles look that way in that pic but it isn't too bad. I had one of those spacers as well from my 84.. it may be 3/4 inch tall though... if I can find it...

Thanks Gary, I appreciate that!

The angles look that way in that pic but it isn't too bad. I had one of those spacers as well from my 84.. it may be 3/4 inch tall though... if I can find it...

Had a bit of an oh, shiet moment today on the road. Not with my truck, but my 64 galaxie. Drove it all morning running errands and it ran great, came home and measured the taper on the two reground cams and the lifters and everything has a very nice .002" taper, cam lobes and lifters. I ran up the street in the car to grab some food and idled fine in the drive thru, just as soon as I step on the gas to leave the parking lot the engine shuts off like I turned the key off. It fired and sputtered when cranking but wouldn't start. It's not a busy intersection luckily but the front tires were already down the ramp out of the parking lot. Luckily I had my dad with me because he had to work the brakes as I pushed so hard I sliced 3 of my fingers on the grille/fender eyebrow, got it back in the parking lot though. A couple years ago I bought a 6 pack of NOS GP Sorenson condensers probably from the early 1960's and all of them tested perfectly and look brand new. Well the condenser failed and I tested the rest and they all show signs of leakage to varying degrees. I about crapped myself when I saw how much bright blue spark was arching at both sets of ignition points in broad daylight. Luckily I carried a spare condenser along with other items I've never needed, fired right up. Woulda really been bad had it failed this where I was driving morning. First time I've ever had an issue with points on the road, had issues like this a few times over the years with electronic ignitions though. I also noticed the stud terminal isolators for the external condenser hookup was cracked, maybe that was part of it as well but I took the dual points out of this aftermarket ball bearing distributor plate and set it up for the standard single point like stock except its a ball bearing setup instead of that crappy pivot breaker plate. Screams to redline just the same with 1 set of points so whatever there. Never know when this stuff is gonna quit on you apparently.

Had a bit of an oh, shiet moment today on the road. Not with my truck, but my 64 galaxie. Drove it all morning running errands and it ran great, came home and measured the taper on the two reground cams and the lifters and everything has a very nice .002" taper, cam lobes and lifters. I ran up the street in the car to grab some food and idled fine in the drive thru, just as soon as I step on the gas to leave the parking lot the engine shuts off like I turned the key off. It fired and sputtered when cranking but wouldn't start. It's not a busy intersection luckily but the front tires were already down the ramp out of the parking lot. Luckily I had my dad with me because he had to work the brakes as I pushed so hard I sliced 3 of my fingers on the grille/fender eyebrow, got it back in the parking lot though. A couple years ago I bought a 6 pack of NOS GP Sorenson condensers probably from the early 1960's and all of them tested perfectly and look brand new. Well the condenser failed and I tested the rest and they all show signs of leakage to varying degrees. I about crapped myself when I saw how much bright blue spark was arching at both sets of ignition points in broad daylight. Luckily I carried a spare condenser along with other items I've never needed, fired right up. Woulda really been bad had it failed this where I was driving morning. First time I've ever had an issue with points on the road, had issues like this a few times over the years with electronic ignitions though. I also noticed the stud terminal isolators for the external condenser hookup was cracked, maybe that was part of it as well but I took the dual points out of this aftermarket ball bearing distributor plate and set it up for the standard single point like stock except its a ball bearing setup instead of that crappy pivot breaker plate. Screams to redline just the same with 1 set of points so whatever there. Never know when this stuff is gonna quit on you apparently.

My now 47 year old son learned fairly early how to set points with a matchbook cover. He had a 1965 Corvair Corsa 140 HP (four 1 barrels).

Your distributor sounds like a copy of the 1957/58 Ford ones, ball bearing breaker plate and all. I had on in an ex-NASCAR 430 MEL and another in a 312 Y-block.

My now 47 year old son learned fairly early how to set points with a matchbook cover. He had a 1965 Corvair Corsa 140 HP (four 1 barrels).

Your distributor sounds like a copy of the 1957/58 Ford ones, ball bearing breaker plate and all. I had on in an ex-NASCAR 430 MEL and another in a 312 Y-block.

It's a stock replacement aftermarket distributor I put a Dyna-Flye 707SD ball bearing distributor plate in. Works excellent. I can't find any of the terminal isolators though, I do have some nylon stock I can make some that better fit the hole for the ground wire but if it runs just as well with 1 set of points why bother. 293030563_415367437311012_8179417033476315767_n.jpg.c87f4c1e3e002f2edc951cae5e0362ce.jpg 292433539_1021488751720067_9108120643004538241_n.jpg.27b74ce9bb3dc826d4590b17566d3ea6.jpg

I have three of these distributor plates. Two are the 707SD with optional dual or single configuration, the other just a 707 single point only. Bill, Did you see very many of these way back when? best I can tell the company, Renberles products went out of business 1963.

Actually, that breaker plate is intended to be used with 64 and older FE distributors with the cast centrifugal advance weights. I had to use a couple small washers to space the plate up so the flange for the ball bearing didn't scrape the advance springs being used on a 65 and later stamped weight setup - apparently the springs are located a littler higher up than the cast weights. It made a very noticeable difference in how it runs with the dwell not changing when vacuum advance is in effect with a recurved advance.

I can thank the random guy on a Youtube comment for mentioning these, I now have a mild fascination with them.

A couple years ago I bought a 6 pack of NOS GP Sorenson condensers probably from the early 1960's and all of them tested perfectly and look brand new. Well the condenser failed and I tested the rest and they all show signs of leakage to varying degrees..... Never know when this stuff is gonna quit on you apparently.

It's pretty amazing that these have lasted 60 years!

Electrolytic capacitors are dying from the moment they are made, and why I always recommend replacing all of them when someone has a bad ECM.

A couple years ago I bought a 6 pack of NOS GP Sorenson condensers probably from the early 1960's and all of them tested perfectly and look brand new. Well the condenser failed and I tested the rest and they all show signs of leakage to varying degrees..... Never know when this stuff is gonna quit on you apparently.

It's pretty amazing that these have lasted 60 years!

Electrolytic capacitors are dying from the moment they are made, and why I always recommend replacing all of them when someone has a bad ECM.

How old are these really? I've never seen a condenser with the red epoxy on the end other than these. s-l960.jpg.24f51af9ff78a2b671a6c50436e925df.jpg

It's a stock replacement aftermarket distributor I put a Dyna-Flye 707SD ball bearing distributor plate in. Works excellent. I can't find any of the terminal isolators though, I do have some nylon stock I can make some that better fit the hole for the ground wire but if it runs just as well with 1 set of points why bother.

I have three of these distributor plates. Two are the 707SD with optional dual or single configuration, the other just a 707 single point only. Bill, Did you see very many of these way back when? best I can tell the company, Renberles products went out of business 1963.

Actually, that breaker plate is intended to be used with 64 and older FE distributors with the cast centrifugal advance weights. I had to use a couple small washers to space the plate up so the flange for the ball bearing didn't scrape the advance springs being used on a 65 and later stamped weight setup - apparently the springs are located a littler higher up than the cast weights. It made a very noticeable difference in how it runs with the dwell not changing when vacuum advance is in effect with a recurved advance.

I can thank the random guy on a Youtube comment for mentioning these, I now have a mild fascination with them.

That looks very much like the orignal Ford design that were single breaker point units. I havent had a vehicle with breaker points in years, last one was my son Matt's 1965 Corvair Corsa and that was taken out of service in 1996 after he graduated from high school. He inherited my 1987 Horizon after that.

That looks very much like the orignal Ford design that were single breaker point units. I havent had a vehicle with breaker points in years, last one was my son Matt's 1965 Corvair Corsa and that was taken out of service in 1996 after he graduated from high school. He inherited my 1987 Horizon after that.

292924784_420701340102590_684598635464570028_n.jpg.2a106788aa52359763f150680346b0ce.jpg292851054_1015666385807641_3846395950409583180_n.jpg.9fdffa693201738cc93287ae6f57ace3.jpg

Seems like the same concept as the early Ford breaker plates, perhaps made a little different. All 3 that I bought I had to take the bearing cage out and clean the old grease out. What was left of it resembled what you scrape out of a chainsaw bar groove.

Seems like the same concept as the early Ford breaker plates, perhaps made a little different. All 3 that I bought I had to take the bearing cage out and clean the old grease out. What was left of it resembled what you scrape out of a chainsaw bar groove.

I have recently been on a buying spree for my F350, and one of the purchases was an OEM set of door panels. They aren't the same ones that were in my F150, but they're black XLT/Lariat panels which is what I wanted. I've been working on cleaning them up, and at some point I will need to add the 1980-only Lariat trim panels (above the armrests) that I have for it.

One of the new door panels with a map pocket from my old F150:

New_Door_Panels.jpg.8fa163b96a8912b90a031cab4f75c1ca.jpg

What the door panels looked like on my F150 (same map pocket in both photos):

GEDC5630.jpg.4407a53cb907b8d1b17b940e64c53bb4.jpg