Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Yeah, I was thinking of putting that cam in it myself. The lifters they reground look fantastic and they said that they grind more taper into the cam and lifters to promote rotation. The Johnson new lifters I bought from them are ground differently as per visual appearance but they definitely have more crown ground into them as well. It's noticeable compared to the OEM Ford lifters I put in the new engine.

I'd think if you ground more taper into the lobes you'd need lifter crown to match.

(it can't just run on a razor thin margin and not cause damage)

X2 on the cam choice.

What does moving the LCA 5° do to your base circle diameter?

Or do they just make the ramps steeper and leave the lift alone?

I'm just visualizing the shifted peaks, but I suppose it doesn't amount to much if intake & exhaust only move 2 1/2° each.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd think if you ground more taper into the lobes you'd need lifter crown to match.

(it can't just run on a razor thin margin and not cause damage)

X2 on the cam choice.

What does moving the LCA 5° do to your base circle diameter?

Or do they just make the ramps steeper and leave the lift alone?

I'm just visualizing the shifted peaks, but I suppose it doesn't amount to much if intake & exhaust only move 2 1/2° each.

Yeah, the cams have more taper as well as the lifters. The cam they used for the HO grind was already a 110 LSA so I think they just ground the lobed to obtain the profile. The other cam is a 112 LSA and that's what it was when I sent it in also.

Actually, the HO grind I have in my possession is pretty similar to the Comp 255 DEH I put in the new engine. Lift about the same but 3 degrees more intake and 4 degrees more exhaust @.050".

Yeah, the cams have more taper as well as the lifters. The cam they used for the HO grind was already a 110 LSA so I think they just ground the lobed to obtain the profile. The other cam is a 112 LSA and that's what it was when I sent it in also.

Actually, the HO grind I have in my possession is pretty similar to the Comp 255 DEH I put in the new engine. Lift about the same but 3 degrees more intake and 4 degrees more exhaust @.050".

I'm very interested in how this turns out. I have a shelf of cams, and I love the idea of regrinds. and knowing a good place to get good work is helpful.

I'm very interested in how this turns out. I have a shelf of cams, and I love the idea of regrinds. and knowing a good place to get good work is helpful.

Send them an email and use with confidence. I bought a Ford 390 block off a guy a few years back and he was building a lot of engines and using them with no issues as well.

how was their turn around / lead time?

I mailed them the box July 30th, got a phone call from them Sept 6th for payment and received the box the next morning, yesterday. Not bad I'd day. I couldn't even get a hold of Delta cams and I only work a few miles from them.

I mailed them the box July 30th, got a phone call from them Sept 6th for payment and received the box the next morning, yesterday. Not bad I'd day. I couldn't even get a hold of Delta cams and I only work a few miles from them.

A little off topic....finally got the correct vac module installed, with all positions in off position, is fresh air supposed to come through the vents at hiway speed, all seems to work properly as levers are moved to different positions. Thanks...Bill

20180901_180038.jpg.593333f9140cc1b33e0471d2528808ba.jpg

A little off topic....finally got the correct vac module installed, with all positions in off position, is fresh air supposed to come through the vents at hiway speed, all seems to work properly as levers are moved to different positions. Thanks...Bill

I'm not sure how AC systems work (should be in the EVTM) but my heat only system has a vent or recirc lever, that controls the door by the passenger hood hinge.

I suppose this would be 'max ac' with the blower in the off position in your truck.

Edit to add: here is the AC vacuum diagram. You can see (on the right) that it should pull the flap closed in EITHER Max AC or Off.

I would check that the brittle plastic line is intact and that the vacuum motor actually moves closed with the engine running to provide vacuum.

If everything appears functional underhood, it may be that the seals in the selector lever assembly have perished, or the vacuum connector 'block' on the back of it is somehow to blame.

1985-etm-page145.thumb.jpg.2adda6ccb85d1722b579f70afb17bd3c.jpg

I'm not sure how AC systems work (should be in the EVTM) but my heat only system has a vent or recirc lever, that controls the door by the passenger hood hinge.

I suppose this would be 'max ac' with the blower in the off position in your truck.

Edit to add: here is the AC vacuum diagram. You can see (on the right) that it should pull the flap closed in EITHER Max AC or Off.

I would check that the brittle plastic line is intact and that the vacuum motor actually moves closed with the engine running to provide vacuum.

If everything appears functional underhood, it may be that the seals in the selector lever assembly have perished, or the vacuum connector 'block' on the back of it is somehow to blame.

I may have to crack the heater shut off valve in my truck because mornings are chilly and foggy lately with heavy dew.

Of course, what we call "Indian Summer" later this week -high '80's during the day- might make me put up with the chill from the vent window open a little longer.

Finished the first weekend with the new to me rig. Have a long to-do list to get it up to a good enough baseline to start using it; and the Wife is not a fan of lawn ornaments.

- Valve cover gasket

- Push rod cover gasket

- New spark plugs

- New spark plug wires

- Oil change W/ Filter

- Harness repairs (A few spots where it was just the bare copper wire)

- New Air filter

- Tightened the Oil pan bolts

- Changed the wiper blades

- General oil cleanup

Plenty of fluids to change yet, and brakes to be bled, and a set of tires to get mounted (old ones are date stamped at least 20 years ago)