Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

4Lo and 1st gear ... that's literally a take-down combination!!

Yes it is very strange, how the truck keeps moving when that happens....

I've been on the scare end of 2Hi and 1st gear like 3 times now.. That is probably the main reason I sold Big Red is the 2 times that happened, I was lucky that no one was in front of the truck.. but it ran into stuff and damaged things. I did install a clutch safety after that... I still have nightmares about that all the time...

The bullnose bumper is also very sturdy so didn't take damage but the OBS bumper -- not so much. There is a big boo-boo on it now..

Someone has to make clutch safety a national wide mandate on trucks with monster engines :nabble_smiley_evil:

careful with that mandate talk! not all of us believe in that communism.:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

careful with that mandate talk! not all of us believe in that communism.:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Neither do I! But this one actually saves lives :nabble_smiley_wink:

PS: I grew up around cars that had manual transmissions and no clutch safety. I don't think they have clutch safeties even today....... but those cars are rated for 78hp and about 95 ft lbs torque and their sole purpose is to make it through traffic all day at 10-15mph ... :nabble_smiley_oh:

Oh and speaking of government overreach and ridiculousness.... I saw this new yesterday and I have been mad... I was getting excited that Texas was getting rid of state inspections... but only now realized that the $7 safety inspection fee still applies (which is OK... not a big deal) but emissions testing is still required in most counties......

So they got rid of the things that actually make the roads safe !!!

I am getting tired of being here. Plans to move to Arkansas or OK.

Oh and speaking of government overreach and ridiculousness.... I saw this new yesterday and I have been mad... I was getting excited that Texas was getting rid of state inspections... but only now realized that the $7 safety inspection fee still applies (which is OK... not a big deal) but emissions testing is still required in most counties......

So they got rid of the things that actually make the roads safe !!!

I am getting tired of being here. Plans to move to Arkansas or OK.

What are the pros and cons of state inspections and why did they want to get rid of them?

.... PS: I grew up around cars that had manual transmissions and no clutch safety. I don't think they have clutch safeties even today....... but those cars are rated for 78hp and about 95 ft lbs torque and their sole purpose is to make it through traffic all day at 10-15mph ... :nabble_smiley_oh:

Are you saying that new cars aren't made with clutch safeties now? Or that old cars originally made without them haven't had them added?

I'm pretty sure that all new cars with manual transmissions have had clutch safeties since sometime in the '80s. Yes, they can be bypassed, but unless you actually want inspections that will result in most older vehicles getting scrapped there's not much that can be done about that.

And I'm very glad that owners of old vehicles aren't required to add all newer safety equipment. None of us would have any of these trucks if we had to add air bags, modern crush zones and all of the electronic nannies.

.... PS: I grew up around cars that had manual transmissions and no clutch safety. I don't think they have clutch safeties even today....... but those cars are rated for 78hp and about 95 ft lbs torque and their sole purpose is to make it through traffic all day at 10-15mph ... :nabble_smiley_oh:

Are you saying that new cars aren't made with clutch safeties now? Or that old cars originally made without them haven't had them added?

I'm pretty sure that all new cars with manual transmissions have had clutch safeties since sometime in the '80s. Yes, they can be bypassed, but unless you actually want inspections that will result in most older vehicles getting scrapped there's not much that can be done about that.

And I'm very glad that owners of old vehicles aren't required to add all newer safety equipment. None of us would have any of these trucks if we had to add air bags, modern crush zones and all of the electronic nannies.

He's saying that regulations in Tamil Nadu were very different when he was growing up

He's saying that regulations in Tamil Nadu were very different when he was growing up

I actually have very mixed feelings about safety features on cars. Yes, they can be extremely valuable if the driver forgets to do something. But I've also seen them lull a driver into not thinking about things. For instance, my dad's Honda automatically shifts into park when he shuts it off. So he never bothers shifting it into park.

And he doesn't look over his shoulder to check his blind spot when he's changing lanes because the car warns him if someone is there when he puts the blinker on (he does make a point to use the blinker and to check for the warning).

That's all OK (I guess) when he's driving his Honda, but it would make me a little nervous if he were to drive someone else's vehicle.

So a part of me wishes they'd quit adding "safety features".

I actually have very mixed feelings about safety features on cars. Yes, they can be extremely valuable if the driver forgets to do something. But I've also seen them lull a driver into not thinking about things. For instance, my dad's Honda automatically shifts into park when he shuts it off. So he never bothers shifting it into park.

And he doesn't look over his shoulder to check his blind spot when he's changing lanes because the car warns him if someone is there when he puts the blinker on (he does make a point to use the blinker and to check for the warning).

That's all OK (I guess) when he's driving his Honda, but it would make me a little nervous if he were to drive someone else's vehicle.

To me, these safety features are simply replacing common sense. Just another step of melding man with machine. Your machine thinks for you, because you're too stupid to think for yourself. I tend to "rage against the machine" (not referring to the band). I override things whenever I can, and if I can't, I probably won't use that thing or get so mad I destroy it. It's a good thing I don't have a new car........

To me, these safety features are simply replacing common sense. Just another step of melding man with machine. Your machine thinks for you, because you're too stupid to think for yourself. I tend to "rage against the machine" (not referring to the band). I override things whenever I can, and if I can't, I probably won't use that thing or get so mad I destroy it. It's a good thing I don't have a new car........

Though I will admit that getting angry at inanimate objects is pretty dumb. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

The only safety I won't by-pass is the clutch safety. Automatic or Manual. To me, that's just as essential as a trigger safety in a gun. Just last week Blue Streak almost climbed up the inspection station because the inspector cranked the truck trying to get an odometer reading.....

All other safeties while driving... I can overlook. I should be more diligent but I don't even use the rear view mirrors on my trucks most of the time because these manual ones go out of adjustment from people/kids messing with it ...