Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Between continuing to disassemble the 216 from the '50 and adding pages for 3D printing I decided to do something on Big Blue. After all, our show is coming four weeks from today, and I plan to take BB to my home town two weeks later for the Last Run show. So I need to work on some details.

Today was the rubber on the trim behind the doors on the cab corners. It has been missing since I got the truck and people have donated the full trim pieces, but it is a pain to get up into the corner to replace the whole piece. So I peeled the rubber off the trim pieces and glued it on to the trim that is installed on the truck using 3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive. I've used that successfully to hold emblems, like the Lariat one, in the chrome surround so I know it works well.

Here's a before & after: (But it looks like I need to cover that rust showing on the bed. It is just where a camper tiedown was. It isn't normally seen but the flash sure picked it up. :nabble_smiley_oh:)

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n159479/Cab_Trim_Missing.jpghttps://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n159479/Cab_Trim_On.jpg

I'm curious what 3M VHB will do with older trim pieces like the ones that originally relied on clips. I'm slightly worried it would leave a minor gap, but I have never had anything prepped and applied with VHB come loose, even in hurricane force winds.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Between continuing to disassemble the 216 from the '50 and adding pages for 3D printing I decided to do something on Big Blue. After all, our show is coming four weeks from today, and I plan to take BB to my home town two weeks later for the Last Run show. So I need to work on some details.

Today was the rubber on the trim behind the doors on the cab corners. It has been missing since I got the truck and people have donated the full trim pieces, but it is a pain to get up into the corner to replace the whole piece. So I peeled the rubber off the trim pieces and glued it on to the trim that is installed on the truck using 3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive. I've used that successfully to hold emblems, like the Lariat one, in the chrome surround so I know it works well.

Here's a before & after: (But it looks like I need to cover that rust showing on the bed. It is just where a camper tiedown was. It isn't normally seen but the flash sure picked it up. :nabble_smiley_oh:)

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n159479/Cab_Trim_Missing.jpghttps://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n159479/Cab_Trim_On.jpg

I'm curious what 3M VHB will do with older trim pieces like the ones that originally relied on clips. I'm slightly worried it would leave a minor gap, but I have never had anything prepped and applied with VHB come loose, even in hurricane force winds.

3M also makes emblem/trim adhesive in black and natural amber.

It's like gorilla snot but thicker.

If you want it off you're going to need a chisel. 🔨

3M also makes emblem/trim adhesive in black and natural amber.

It's like gorilla snot but thicker.

If you want it off you're going to need a chisel. 🔨

a very good point about the fenders. im reading along trying to catch up after being on the road for a few days. think of this as more of a square box. start with the cab , doors, hood then fenders at the corners moving outward. both the doors and hood are far easier to set from this point.

I've not had anything that I used 3M Hi-Stength 90 on come loose, but confess that this is the first I've tried it on older "rubber". However this seemed to be the easiest to use for a small part that was completely off, like these trim pieces since it sets up quickly.

But if it does come loose then I may need to change to the stuff Jim mentioned. And I also have other pieces of the rubber trim that is coming loose at the ends that I'd like to secure, so something in a tube rather than a spray would be ideal.

Jim - Is the 08061 stuff on the left what you are talking about?

3M_Adhesives.thumb.jpg.3206116a3e7e57c1c9b8b1b53287786d.jpg

Yes we are looking forward as well.

I will shoot for that.

PS: could you kindly add the dinner time etc to the truck show post ?

Ronnie should be back this weekend to drive back 'Blue Streak' to AR... he has given me just about every reason why I can't drive it up there except tell me that he doesn't trust me to bring it up there in 1 piece ... hope he knows I can drive a standard transmission well :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: who knows ... I don't know if he will make it to the truck show... but hopefully he can.

So I will be driving Big Blue 2WD or 78 Bronco up there. Haven't decided 100%...... Bronco would be quite a haul driving it at 60mph.... Big Blue 2WD would be a lot more highway friendly but no AC..

Ronnie should be back this weekend to drive back 'Blue Streak' to AR... he has given me just about every reason why I can't drive it up there except tell me that he doesn't trust me to bring it up there in 1 piece ... hope he knows I can drive a standard transmission well :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: who knows ... I don't know if he will make it to the truck show... but hopefully he can.

So I will be driving Big Blue 2WD or 78 Bronco up there. Haven't decided 100%...... Bronco would be quite a haul driving it at 60mph.... Big Blue 2WD would be a lot more highway friendly but no AC..

It may cool off by then, but I wouldn't count on it.

If it is in the high 80s, that should be do-able. Just need to install my heater core - block off valve...

Blue Streak is missing the one thing that keeps me up at night about trucks with the 460 and a granny gear.... the clutch safety and I was ranting the other day about the safety inspector almost taking down the inspection station while trying to read the odometer....

The problem comes down to the old clutch pushrod bushing breaking and being replaced by a "pushrod eliminator" with a bearing... which is not compatible with the clutch safety switch.

I could have replaced the bracket E7TZ7A554A and installed another clutch pushrod (Assuming it is compatible with the current master cylinder) but any of the aftermarket E7TZ7A554A brackets I find do not have splines in them...

I have for now installed a momentary switch clutch safety which will do the job.... Ronnie will not need to use cruise control as the clutch interrupt won't work. But at least the truck is safe to be around people now.

08B0CC68-9D23-480A-9C6C-BD1B85D91879.jpeg.2a9df8ec519d972b0608c15491befb7c.jpeg

Blue Streak is missing the one thing that keeps me up at night about trucks with the 460 and a granny gear.... the clutch safety and I was ranting the other day about the safety inspector almost taking down the inspection station while trying to read the odometer....

The problem comes down to the old clutch pushrod bushing breaking and being replaced by a "pushrod eliminator" with a bearing... which is not compatible with the clutch safety switch.

I could have replaced the bracket E7TZ7A554A and installed another clutch pushrod (Assuming it is compatible with the current master cylinder) but any of the aftermarket E7TZ7A554A brackets I find do not have splines in them...

I have for now installed a momentary switch clutch safety which will do the job.... Ronnie will not need to use cruise control as the clutch interrupt won't work. But at least the truck is safe to be around people now.

If a truck w/a 460 starts in granny low you'd better take cover - it isn't going to stop. Big Blue started with the trailer connected but the tongue jack on the ground, and that 460 didn't care. Think what it would be like in 4lo and 1st gear. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Speaking of that, we were pulling the old sign down at the church building and I put him in 4Lo & 1st gear. Came out on the clutch and went back to see if the guys needed any help. BB just idled on across the parking lot and pulled the sign down w/o missing a beat.

If a truck w/a 460 starts in granny low you'd better take cover - it isn't going to stop. Big Blue started with the trailer connected but the tongue jack on the ground, and that 460 didn't care. Think what it would be like in 4lo and 1st gear. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Speaking of that, we were pulling the old sign down at the church building and I put him in 4Lo & 1st gear. Came out on the clutch and went back to see if the guys needed any help. BB just idled on across the parking lot and pulled the sign down w/o missing a beat.

4Lo and 1st gear ... that's literally a take-down combination!!

Yes it is very strange, how the truck keeps moving when that happens....

I've been on the scare end of 2Hi and 1st gear like 3 times now.. That is probably the main reason I sold Big Red is the 2 times that happened, I was lucky that no one was in front of the truck.. but it ran into stuff and damaged things. I did install a clutch safety after that... I still have nightmares about that all the time...

The bullnose bumper is also very sturdy so didn't take damage but the OBS bumper -- not so much. There is a big boo-boo on it now..

Someone has to make clutch safety a national wide mandate on trucks with monster engines :nabble_smiley_evil: