Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Ol’ blue is finally home. Ronnie my father in law drove it all the way. He is old school. I followed him the whole way at 65mph.. he uses his atlas instead of the gps on his phone :nabble_smiley_wink:

He is a GM guy all his life but he was so impressed with this truck (460 ZF5) that he wants to buy it … he commented on how much torque this thing has even in 5th gear. I’m in a tough situation. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Well done, Vivek! :nabble_anim_claps:

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ol’ blue is finally home. Ronnie my father in law drove it all the way. He is old school. I followed him the whole way at 65mph.. he uses his atlas instead of the gps on his phone :nabble_smiley_wink:

He is a GM guy all his life but he was so impressed with this truck (460 ZF5) that he wants to buy it … he commented on how much torque this thing has even in 5th gear. I’m in a tough situation. :nabble_anim_crazy:

go easy. some of us still read maps. there is more skill and interaction in it. anyone can just follow play by play instructions.

go easy. some of us still read maps. there is more skill and interaction in it. anyone can just follow play by play instructions.

No I have much respect for atlas maps.. I wish I could use them..... I was simply stating the generational gap and the skill sets that have been lost due to smart phones.

Ronnie was able to trace the path we took to get there without even needing maps. I was following the GPS to get there but Ronnie took a mental note of everything.. so again I think skills lost due to dependence on smart devices.

90FF0BAF-BE3C-428D-9482-D031F61DB50C.jpeg.633b4cdb1f8c928d89ed9a77cd79c1f0.jpeg

No I have much respect for atlas maps.. I wish I could use them..... I was simply stating the generational gap and the skill sets that have been lost due to smart phones.

Ronnie was able to trace the path we took to get there without even needing maps. I was following the GPS to get there but Ronnie took a mental note of everything.. so again I think skills lost due to dependence on smart devices.

Humans have literally circled the globe with nothing but the stars to guide them for millennia. 🤷‍♂️

While reading a map takes a certain ability to recognize which direction you're facing, cartography is definitely a skill that has come a long way since "No Man's Land" or "Thar be Dragon's 'Ere"

Humans have literally circled the globe with nothing but the stars to guide them for millennia. 🤷‍♂️

While reading a map takes a certain ability to recognize which direction you're facing, cartography is definitely a skill that has come a long way since "No Man's Land" or "Thar be Dragon's 'Ere"

when my mother was a singer in the 70s and was travelling all around new England there were many times that I was "with the band" as a kid. one of the things that kept me entertained on the road was reading the map. you got them at gas stations all folded up and you had to unfold them and lay them out or fold back to just the section that you needed like a newspaper. at the edge there was a legend with scale to estimate miles per inch., exit numbers, state routes vs interstates. no batteries. no service required. to this day I still study maps and always have a bird's eye view in my head of where I am.

when my mother was a singer in the 70s and was travelling all around new England there were many times that I was "with the band" as a kid. one of the things that kept me entertained on the road was reading the map. you got them at gas stations all folded up and you had to unfold them and lay them out or fold back to just the section that you needed like a newspaper. at the edge there was a legend with scale to estimate miles per inch., exit numbers, state routes vs interstates. no batteries. no service required. to this day I still study maps and always have a bird's eye view in my head of where I am.

People are always amazed by how I can put together where something is on google maps from a picture taken on the ground. The secret is that I had nothing to do as a kid for hours at a time but look at the map!

They have a really fun game out called Geoguessr where they show you a google street view image and you have to click on the map where it was taken. Using those orienteering skills! https://www.geoguessr.com/

People are always amazed by how I can put together where something is on google maps from a picture taken on the ground. The secret is that I had nothing to do as a kid for hours at a time but look at the map!

They have a really fun game out called Geoguessr where they show you a google street view image and you have to click on the map where it was taken. Using those orienteering skills! https://www.geoguessr.com/

My folk's cabin is east-northeast of here. Not many roads run east-northeast/west-southwest, so getting there involves driving east for a while and driving north for a while. What nav systems don't really tell you is that there is more than one east/west road and more than one north/south road, so there are many different ways we can go to get there! I frequently would turn on some road that seemed like it was going in the right direction and then work my way there. My family would be so confused (Lesley still complains that I'm conspiring to make sure she never knows how to get there!).

I said "frequently would turn" in the past tense. I still vary my route, but by now I know most of the roads, so it's not really exploring anymore.

My folk's cabin is east-northeast of here. Not many roads run east-northeast/west-southwest, so getting there involves driving east for a while and driving north for a while. What nav systems don't really tell you is that there is more than one east/west road and more than one north/south road, so there are many different ways we can go to get there! I frequently would turn on some road that seemed like it was going in the right direction and then work my way there. My family would be so confused (Lesley still complains that I'm conspiring to make sure she never knows how to get there!).

I said "frequently would turn" in the past tense. I still vary my route, but by now I know most of the roads, so it's not really exploring anymore.

That's the way it is in the Delaware/Pennsylvania are where we lived. NOTHING runs north/south or east/west, and frequently you'll get on a road that says "North XWZ" and you'll actually be going south as you get on. But if you stay on it long enough you'll eventually get north of where you are.

If you know the roads it is easy to get around, but you have to know the roads. And relying on GPS to get me there doesn't help me learn the roads.

Hagstrom's or Rand McNally? :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Orienteering is a lost art, unless you're special forces.

Hagstrom's or Rand McNally? :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Orienteering is a lost art, unless you're special forces.

Back in the day, when a new family would move to the neighborhood from out of town my gift to them would be a county atlas. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I got a lot of weird looks!