Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

"Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore!"

So that’s what the saying is! Janey looks at me and says “Dodo, you aren’t in Kansas anymore.” :nabble_smiley_sad:

She's so cute! 🙂

Did you get swept up in a tornado with Dorothy and land on your head in an apple orchard???

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Danny - My family is fine. Apparently they live in a "less-low" area. (Can't say "high" and "John's Island" in the same sentence.) Hope you are staying safe.

Bill - You, too! Stay safe 'cause it is moving north.

We are safe, I didn't go to work today then about an hour after my shift starts I get an emergency alert saying everyone who lives west of Summerville along hwy 78, hwy 27 etc go home and stay home and if you are home shelter in place and don't leave. So good thing I didn't go.

Jedburg road and everything from 78 to I26E including the east bound lanes of I26 are under 4 feet of water.

Side note I am working on my harness now that the house is quiet again

I am trying to find information on since S110. Is this just a service splice? I feel like there should be a third wire here and I don't know what 1985 schematic to find it in.

Screenshot_20240809_143448_Chrome.thumb.jpg.367d255d9285ca61fdf5c5f6a2d655b3.jpg

Danny - My family is fine. Apparently they live in a "less-low" area. (Can't say "high" and "John's Island" in the same sentence.) Hope you are staying safe.

Bill - You, too! Stay safe 'cause it is moving north.

We are safe, I didn't go to work today then about an hour after my shift starts I get an emergency alert saying everyone who lives west of Summerville along hwy 78, hwy 27 etc go home and stay home and if you are home shelter in place and don't leave. So good thing I didn't go.

Jedburg road and everything from 78 to I26E including the east bound lanes of I26 are under 4 feet of water.

Side note I am working on my harness now that the house is quiet again

I am trying to find information on since S110. Is this just a service splice? I feel like there should be a third wire here and I don't know what 1985 schematic to find it in.

That's the frustrating thing about the EVTM, it only shows the circuit in question.

All the grounds are shown and labeled in the front.

I wish the splices were too!

That's the frustrating thing about the EVTM, it only shows the circuit in question.

All the grounds are shown and labeled in the front.

I wish the splices were too!

Well I found S-110 in the schematics on page 4 but the wires to that splice are completely different than shown in the EVTM so I am even more confused at this point...

Screenshot_20240809_160637_Chrome.jpg.ce4d19c4c1ca68e72d23b15ed3fa0d3a.jpg

Well I found S-110 in the schematics on page 4 but the wires to that splice are completely different than shown in the EVTM so I am even more confused at this point...

That is bizarre! But it proves, yet again, what I've seen before - the EVTM and the wiring diagrams do not agree in a number of places. In this case S110. Clearly they are talking about two different splices. But I don't know why they differ. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

That is bizarre! But it proves, yet again, what I've seen before - the EVTM and the wiring diagrams do not agree in a number of places. In this case S110. Clearly they are talking about two different splices. But I don't know why they differ. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

I am looking at my Haynes manual which has some schematics including later years and the EVTM.

There may be a clue here:

Later years and also 1985 5.0 had EEC control and circuit 37(yellow wire) power goes from the starter relay and then splices off before hitting the fuel pump cut off relay FIRST then the relay puts power to the Inertia switch. After the inertia switch power is spliced and sent to both the inline fuel pump and then the selector for front or rear fuel pumps.

On the 7.5L for 1985 the relay and inertia switch are reversed. Power comes off the Starter relay (always hot) through the inertia switch then through splice S-110 then into the fuel pump cut off relay. Whatever that splice goes to is going to be always hot under normal conditions.

Now comparing those to the chassis electrical schematics in my Haynes manual. The yellow wire off the the starter relay provides power to:

EEC Peer Relay

ECM

Ignition Switch

Haz/Stop light 20A fuse in the fuse box.

So I believe it's going to be associated with one of those or the inline fuel pump. I am leaning towards the latter as it makes sense that it doesn't need to be part of the tank selector. It could be that it is putting power to the inline fuel pump as that is not shown here and correct me if I am wrong there have always been 3 electric pumps for this system in this configuration.

1000005353.thumb.jpg.d8678aff00fd244d1d34a947e8009dc1.jpg

1000005349.thumb.jpg.4e042b6ec9f7b5150e2520d501120627.jpg

20240809_184430.jpg.4514804ee03b42f5fab0a7b6e72e9763.jpg

I am looking at my Haynes manual which has some schematics including later years and the EVTM.

There may be a clue here:

Later years and also 1985 5.0 had EEC control and circuit 37(yellow wire) power goes from the starter relay and then splices off before hitting the fuel pump cut off relay FIRST then the relay puts power to the Inertia switch. After the inertia switch power is spliced and sent to both the inline fuel pump and then the selector for front or rear fuel pumps.

On the 7.5L for 1985 the relay and inertia switch are reversed. Power comes off the Starter relay (always hot) through the inertia switch then through splice S-110 then into the fuel pump cut off relay. Whatever that splice goes to is going to be always hot under normal conditions.

Now comparing those to the chassis electrical schematics in my Haynes manual. The yellow wire off the the starter relay provides power to:

EEC Peer Relay

ECM

Ignition Switch

Haz/Stop light 20A fuse in the fuse box.

So I believe it's going to be associated with one of those or the inline fuel pump. I am leaning towards the latter as it makes sense that it doesn't need to be part of the tank selector. It could be that it is putting power to the inline fuel pump as that is not shown here and correct me if I am wrong there have always been 3 electric pumps for this system in this configuration.

Three pumps.

The ECM will run the pumps for a few seconds and then it waits for PIP signal (distributor is turning)

Three pumps.

The ECM will run the pumps for a few seconds and then it waits for PIP signal (distributor is turning)

The 7.5L is Duraspark vs EEC so there is that to take into consideration. Which of these is actually applicable.

I'm trying to find that 3rd pump in the schematic or EVTM.

I have also concluded that splice numbers between the schematic and 1985 EVTM cannot be trusted

You can see the EVTM calls this splice S-101 and the same splice on the schematic is S-211.

1000005359.thumb.jpg.db051577b6d79643eb1f49abc0e1d8c2.jpg

Screenshot_20240809_213320_Chrome.thumb.jpg.82c783187050b948423836cc9cae153e.jpg

So now it's just trying to piece together what I have of the old harness and match it to the documents as b st as possible

Three pumps.

The 7.5L is Duraspark vs EEC so there is that to take into consideration. Which of these is actually applicable.

I'm trying to find that 3rd pump in the schematic or EVTM.

I have also concluded that splice numbers between the schematic and 1985 EVTM cannot be trusted

You can see the EVTM calls this splice S-101 and the same splice on the schematic is S-211.

So now it's just trying to piece together what I have of the old harness and match it to the documents as b st as possible

I thought you were asking about the 5.0 with the fuel accumulator on the driver's rail.

460's never had a third pump, just in-tank, with the return vapor separator.

Hot fuel changed from a selector relay to just using the switch, and as you noted, where the inertia switch is in the chain.

I thought you were asking about the 5.0 with the fuel accumulator on the driver's rail.

460's never had a third pump, just in-tank, with the return vapor separator.

Hot fuel changed from a selector relay to just using the switch, and as you noted, where the inertia switch is in the chain.

Jim, I believe the 1988-89 EFI 460s had 3 pumps. 1990 on just the 2 in-tank pumps.