Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

You have a good plan.

Kudos to you for helping him learn!

Jim - That's exactly what DeWayne said - the failure mode on the regulator is to return everything to the tank. And while that would fit our symptoms, so would a pump with very low pressure.

The kit that I saw used had a brass adapter that went between the inlet to the filter and the filter itself and then a port for the gauge off that. I thought that was pretty slick but the kit was $122 and had little else in it. The kit I bought was $50 and has "everything and the kitchen sink" in it. But the part for TBI is a hose with two female connectors on it and a tee in the middle for the gauge. Apparently you put it in place of the filter.

So over lunch today after church Steve/FoxFord33 and I thought through the testing plan. I'll put the hoses in place to bypass the filter, hang the gauge off of it, and fire up the pump by jumping 30 to 87 at the fuel pump fuse. If the regulator is working properly and if the pump is healthy I should see 12 - 15 psi. But if the pressure is lower I won't know if it is the pump or the regulator.

However, if I squeeze the hose in the adapter shut after the gauge then the pressure should climb if the pump is good. If the pressure doesn't climb the pump is bad.

So this kit actually is better than the other one as there isn't a way to really test the pump since you can't compress the brass fitting.

Dane - Thanks. This is something I enjoy doing and this young man is learning something at the same time. Win/win.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jim - That's exactly what DeWayne said - the failure mode on the regulator is to return everything to the tank. And while that would fit our symptoms, so would a pump with very low pressure.

The kit that I saw used had a brass adapter that went between the inlet to the filter and the filter itself and then a port for the gauge off that. I thought that was pretty slick but the kit was $122 and had little else in it. The kit I bought was $50 and has "everything and the kitchen sink" in it. But the part for TBI is a hose with two female connectors on it and a tee in the middle for the gauge. Apparently you put it in place of the filter.

So over lunch today after church Steve/FoxFord33 and I thought through the testing plan. I'll put the hoses in place to bypass the filter, hang the gauge off of it, and fire up the pump by jumping 30 to 87 at the fuel pump fuse. If the regulator is working properly and if the pump is healthy I should see 12 - 15 psi. But if the pressure is lower I won't know if it is the pump or the regulator.

However, if I squeeze the hose in the adapter shut after the gauge then the pressure should climb if the pump is good. If the pressure doesn't climb the pump is bad.

So this kit actually is better than the other one as there isn't a way to really test the pump since you can't compress the brass fitting.

Dane - Thanks. This is something I enjoy doing and this young man is learning something at the same time. Win/win.

Ok, in the immortal words of Baldrick, I have a cunning plan. :nabble_smiley_evil:

In the pic below of the kit that I bought you can see item #72308, the next to bottom hose/fitting combo. That's supposed to be the one for GM TBI. And below that you can see item # 71408, which has smaller fittings on it than 72308, but it has a shut-off valve. It appears that the hoses all have the same threads on the ends. So I'll just swap the hoses from one unit to the other and be able to turn off the flow from the pump and find out how much pressure it can provide - without crimping the hose.

71oDivZcrxL.thumb.jpg.da85b6e735a3950e8413bbd5ac4feaed.jpg

Ok, in the immortal words of Baldrick, I have a cunning plan. :nabble_smiley_evil:

In the pic below of the kit that I bought you can see item #72308, the next to bottom hose/fitting combo. That's supposed to be the one for GM TBI. And below that you can see item # 71408, which has smaller fittings on it than 72308, but it has a shut-off valve. It appears that the hoses all have the same threads on the ends. So I'll just swap the hoses from one unit to the other and be able to turn off the flow from the pump and find out how much pressure it can provide - without crimping the hose.

Don't leave it deadheaded for too long, the pump relies on flowing fuel to keep itself cool.

Is this Baldrick from "Blackadder" ? If you like Rowan Atkinson, you should check out "The Thin Blue Line" a very short but sweet comedy series.

I didn't necessarily do anything to it aside from pushing it around, but I did have all of the dead and dying tree limbs/trees above it cut down so that there's a much lesser chance of the truck getting nailed by falling limbs. I mainly had them come out to trim two dead trees and one weak branch that were close to my house to reduce the risk of trees hitting my house (Florida things). But since they were here with the fancy equipment, I had them trim along the back fence line as well.

Everything visible in the photo points away from my truck so I didn't bother having them cut the rest but may change my mind if I still see stuff flying towards my trucks.

With that being said, I can now park two of my trucks together on the concrete. :nabble_smiley_good:

I wish you safe harbour Shaun! 🙏

This one may pass north, but Gary's daughter in James Island is in for it, it seems.

"From Savannah, Georgia, north through Hilton Head Island and Charleston, South Carolina, the Weather Prediction Center is calling for accumulations of 20 to 25 inches, with higher totals possible in some areas. Moreover, it is possible that these high rainfall totals extend dozens of miles inland."

wpc-southcarolina-total_precip_inch-3269600.png.ebd823aa5685360fca758f12a0dc72e5.png

Hey Gary, can you give me the outer most dimensions of that under hood toolbox per chance? I may have a line on a printer In just want to make sure it has the proper volume.

This one may pass north, but Gary's daughter in James Island is in for it, it seems.

"From Savannah, Georgia, north through Hilton Head Island and Charleston, South Carolina, the Weather Prediction Center is calling for accumulations of 20 to 25 inches, with higher totals possible in some areas. Moreover, it is possible that these high rainfall totals extend dozens of miles inland."

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n158572/wpc-southcarolina-total_precip_inch-3269600.png

My sister in laws wedding is tomorrow in down town Charleston.

We are expecting up to 20 inches of rain this week from Debby

Fun fact her soon to be mother in law's name is also Debbie.... And the forecast has her hooking right into port Thursday.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n158572/wpc-southcarolina-total_precip_inch-3269600.png

My sister in laws wedding is tomorrow in down town Charleston.

We are expecting up to 20 inches of rain this week from Debby

Fun fact her soon to be mother in law's name is also Debbie.... And the forecast has her hooking right into port Thursday.

My sister lives in the aptly colloquial 'Duck Ditch'

I imagine she will be riding it out in her attic.

I've never seen fuscia before.

The footnote on that chart says "maximum 26.55". ⛈️🤯

Hey Gary, can you give me the outer most dimensions of that under hood toolbox per chance? I may have a line on a printer In just want to make sure it has the proper volume.

Danny - I'll try to remember to get the dimensions tomorrow afternoon. But don't hesitate to remind me if I don't.

Jim - Yes, we are watching that. Our son and family just got home to Palm Beach Gardens today from North Carolina, coming right through where that is going to hit. But our daughter and family on James Island are in for it. And she works at the hospital up near Duck Ditch and I doubt she'll be able to get there or get home. And your sister is in for it as well.

Vivek - Yes, the dogsbody, Baldrick, from the 4 different Blackadder series. We've seen them all as well as The Thin Blue Line plus most other Britcoms, including One Foot In The Grave, Waiting On God, Keeping Up Appearances, Brush Strokes, As Time Goes By, The Vicar Of Dibley, Are You Being Served, and many, many others. The one we couldn't get into is Last Of The Summer Wine and I later worked with a Brit from a village 10 miles from that one and he said even the locals didn't like it. Oh, and of course, Fawlty Towers.

Danny - I'll try to remember to get the dimensions tomorrow afternoon. But don't hesitate to remind me if I don't.

Jim - Yes, we are watching that. Our son and family just got home to Palm Beach Gardens today from North Carolina, coming right through where that is going to hit. But our daughter and family on James Island are in for it. And she works at the hospital up near Duck Ditch and I doubt she'll be able to get there or get home. And your sister is in for it as well.

Vivek - Yes, the dogsbody, Baldrick, from the 4 different Blackadder series. We've seen them all as well as The Thin Blue Line plus most other Britcoms, including One Foot In The Grave, Waiting On God, Keeping Up Appearances, Brush Strokes, As Time Goes By, The Vicar Of Dibley, Are You Being Served, and many, many others. The one we couldn't get into is Last Of The Summer Wine and I later worked with a Brit from a village 10 miles from that one and he said even the locals didn't like it. Oh, and of course, Fawlty Towers.

The printer I'm looking at right now and I'm probably gonna pull the trigger anyway has a print area of 12.8" x 12.8" x 12.4" with a heated chamber and auto leveling. It can print in PLA, PET-G, ABS, Nylon, ASA, Polycarbonate, PLA wood fiber, carbon fiber, and glass fiber reinforced filaments. So pretty much take your pick of industrial grade materials.

There is another printer that has an extended print area I think between 15-19 inches but is not heated which concerns me for part failure, probably would have to tent it.

Even if I have to make the tool box in multiple pieces and assemble them that's a possibility. Plus with the material choices I can design a fiber reinforced bracket for it as well in lieu of the metal support bracket.

The big investment after this would be a 3d scanner that allowed me to scan an object and instantaneously recreate it in Catia.