Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I'm sure your attention to detail and 50 years of technological advancement have transformed your C6.:nabble_smiley_good: :nabble_smiley_cool:

There's really no escaping the torque converter churning a lot of power into heat.

I'm not picking on something that has such history and resilience, it's just reality.

And that's why we see CVT's and dual clutch 11 speed transmissions today....

The chip and solenoids to control them use far less energy than pumping fluid through labyrinth orifices and pressure valves.

And sometimes, all those electronics and clutches are just plain neat! :nabble_smiley_cool:

I'm getting ready to do a rebuild on an Allison 1000 for a big diesel project I'm starting, and I'm pretty excited to dig into it! I know it's going to be fairly complex, but it can't be worse than the last one I did - a 4l30e from an Isuzu LOL

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And sometimes, all those electronics and clutches are just plain neat! :nabble_smiley_cool:

I'm getting ready to do a rebuild on an Allison 1000 for a big diesel project I'm starting, and I'm pretty excited to dig into it! I know it's going to be fairly complex, but it can't be worse than the last one I did - a 4l30e from an Isuzu LOL

My ex had the 4l30e in her Honda Passport (Rodeo)

Also had the locking D44 axle, built in Indiana at the plant they shared w/ Subaru

That tranny put up with quite a bit of abuse. I'm glad I never had to get inside it!

My ex had the 4l30e in her Honda Passport (Rodeo)

Also had the locking D44 axle, built in Indiana at the plant they shared w/ Subaru

That tranny put up with quite a bit of abuse. I'm glad I never had to get inside it!

They were sure used in a lot of vehicles! Even some BMWs. They are apparently notorious for developing fatal leaks that cause all the clutches to burn up. I bought a 2002 Rodeo to flip that needed a trans rebuild, and learned all about them.

Can't wait to get into the heavier duty stuff though!

I'm sure your attention to detail and 50 years of technological advancement have transformed your C6.:nabble_smiley_good: :nabble_smiley_cool:

There's really no escaping the torque converter churning a lot of power into heat.

I'm not picking on something that has such history and resilience, it's just reality.

And that's why we see CVT's and dual clutch 11 speed transmissions today....

The chip and solenoids to control them use far less energy than pumping fluid through labyrinth orifices and pressure valves.

Yeah, it is a shame the C6 does not or was ever made with a lockup converter like some of the 727s and I think th350s? We're in later years. My dad had an 87 Mazda pickup he bought brand new with the 4 speed auto. That transmission was based on the C6 but it had a hydraulic lockup torque converter and overdrive but inside it was just a miniature C6 and even the pan shape was the same as the C6. That thing always worked great.

Yeah, it is a shame the C6 does not or was ever made with a lockup converter like some of the 727s and I think th350s? We're in later years. My dad had an 87 Mazda pickup he bought brand new with the 4 speed auto. That transmission was based on the C6 but it had a hydraulic lockup torque converter and overdrive but inside it was just a miniature C6 and even the pan shape was the same as the C6. That thing always worked great.

I've become a huge fan of 4r70w swaps with a US Shift controller. The wiring and setup was a lot of fun, and the improved mileage is awesome. Not to mention other advantages like fine tuning control, and lack of the torque converter CLUNK when downshifting like with the old AOD.

The C6 was the big dog for decades, but for my projects from here on out I'm going to do something else. The only really period-correct car I have that would have a C6 in it now is a 70 mustang, but that one has an FMX instead.

I've become a huge fan of 4r70w swaps with a US Shift controller. The wiring and setup was a lot of fun, and the improved mileage is awesome. Not to mention other advantages like fine tuning control, and lack of the torque converter CLUNK when downshifting like with the old AOD.

The C6 was the big dog for decades, but for my projects from here on out I'm going to do something else. The only really period-correct car I have that would have a C6 in it now is a 70 mustang, but that one has an FMX instead.

Ok I swapped the speedometer cable yet again as the thing kept jumping like mad when hot. This time I cut all the middlemen and used a non-cruise cable. It seems to be doing better but still some jumping at 70mph.

The only thing left to try is replacing the worn plastic drive gear on the NP205 transfer case. Part number is D3TZ-17285 A

I can find reproductions of this part... but I need a NOS before I will be motivated to get into the transfer case and replace it.

Food for thought.

I know someone mentioned a 3D printer here.

A under hood toolbox is going for an asking price of $600 + shipping on eBay right now.

I'm just saying, if we can get the dimensions, or even but one and replicate it with a 3D printer the only thing left would be the brackets.. and honestly printing those out of ultem you would never need a metal bracket.

I'd be willing to go in on it lol.

Not much done but get ready for all the in-laws to show up this week for the SiL's wedding Monday.

I did however move the F-350 back up the driveway because it was in the grass (I live in an HOA).

Unfortunately because the wire harness is out we had to push it back up hill a few feet. Fortunately the Ranger has a nice Armordillo Prerunner brush/push bar on it that got put to use. The F-350 bar slid a bit and lost a bit of chrome but that's coming off anyway. I need to hammer out my vertical bar now on the passenger side just a smidge but hey it's not there for looks, it's there to work.

Work means pushing stuff out of the way, protecting the Ranger, and making any crazy drivers think twice.

Next step get rid of the 2014 Chrysler van for something that will fit the family that is yet another Ford and then my great driveway reset will be complete. 100% Ford parking only.

Not much done but get ready for all the in-laws to show up this week for the SiL's wedding Monday.

I did however move the F-350 back up the driveway because it was in the grass (I live in an HOA).

Unfortunately because the wire harness is out we had to push it back up hill a few feet. Fortunately the Ranger has a nice Armordillo Prerunner brush/push bar on it that got put to use. The F-350 bar slid a bit and lost a bit of chrome but that's coming off anyway. I need to hammer out my vertical bar now on the passenger side just a smidge but hey it's not there for looks, it's there to work.

Work means pushing stuff out of the way, protecting the Ranger, and making any crazy drivers think twice.

Next step get rid of the 2014 Chrysler van for something that will fit the family that is yet another Ford and then my great driveway reset will be complete. 100% Ford parking only.

HOA + Classic car hobby = bad combo. Even without an HOA where I live, it has been hard for me!

As much as I am a Ford truck guy, for Van/SUV, I would go elsewhere. Van is Chrysler/Honda, but definitely not Toyota.. wish Ford did vans. SUV any day from Chevy/GMC...:nabble_smiley_wink: Chevy LS based small blocks are definitely the best in the game for the SUV segment in my humble opinion... maybe I am too biased towards pushrods :nabble_smiley_blush: Hope I am not banned from the forum :nabble_anim_blbl:

As much as I am a Ford truck guy, for Van/SUV, I would go elsewhere. Van is Chrysler/Honda, but definitely not Toyota.. wish Ford did vans. "/>

Soooo.... Found this guy about 90 minutes away. My wife was like what is that... And I was like a Bullnose Vantruck.

1000005086.thumb.jpg.029f579844b9698e1160ced14f9db63d.jpg

Screenshot_20240730_012619_Facebook.thumb.jpg.ee85ebebef07c8c3ef2b9ad1f965aeb4.jpg

As much as I am a Ford truck guy, for Van/SUV, I would go elsewhere. Van is Chrysler/Honda, but definitely not Toyota.. wish Ford did vans. "/>

Soooo.... Found this guy about 90 minutes away. My wife was like what is that... And I was like a Bullnose Vantruck.

I like that. I have had a few. only one just like it though. the rest were used in my remodeling company co. this is a great, semi practical vehicle. I only say semi due to fuel mileage. maybe parking. it has the more reliable hinged side doors and privacy glass.