Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Vac advance is adjustable, the instructions say turn clockwise for more advance, counter clockwise for less. I think the onset is the same, just limits total actuation. Same as the stock unit I have now.

whether good or bad results, give an honest review along with part numbers and brand/source on here. we can all use a good source and as well a part to avoid. but this unit looks and sounds to be a good one.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

whether good or bad results, give an honest review along with part numbers and brand/source on here. we can all use a good source and as well a part to avoid. but this unit looks and sounds to be a good one.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850211

You can get these in ready to run versions or the magnetic pickup for use with an ignition box for SBF, 351W, FE engines and 351M/400/385 series as well in both variants. I have one in an FE and it's been great, not really anticipating any issues with this one. Can also get them for other brand engines

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850211

You can get these in ready to run versions or the magnetic pickup for use with an ignition box for SBF, 351W, FE engines and 351M/400/385 series as well in both variants. I have one in an FE and it's been great, not really anticipating any issues with this one. Can also get them for other brand engines

I like it! looks well done. however, in many cases this means adding a coil, ignition box, and possibly a harness. this can easily turn into 400$ or more. for many if not most that can make an 85$ hei and a 15$ relay set up more than attractive. flat out cost prohibitive for some.

I like it! looks well done. however, in many cases this means adding a coil, ignition box, and possibly a harness. this can easily turn into 400$ or more. for many if not most that can make an 85$ hei and a 15$ relay set up more than attractive. flat out cost prohibitive for some.

That's why I bought this one, everything else about the ignition system says stock. I've had very bad luck with aftermarket ignition systems. Best part is I can keep the old pickup coil out of the old distributor for a roadside spare since it's a bolt on variant and not riveted to the breaker plate like some are.

It's the AC Heater function control switch. I figured it had a connector number and I wanted to put it on there. It plugs into the back of the panel on the radio bezel for climate control.

For now I just labeled it per the EVTM name.

Well struggled waaaaayyyyy to long on depinning this relay socket before I realized the red part came off so the hammer lock could be retracted.

1000004737.jpg.1ae21c3c3eabeda57eb926247673ee08.jpg

Now my next challenge... I cannot find this style of terminal that Ford used.

20240720_134255.jpg.60bdc5e2d6b539b60d3d49221e9424ba.jpg

That's why I bought this one, everything else about the ignition system says stock. I've had very bad luck with aftermarket ignition systems. Best part is I can keep the old pickup coil out of the old distributor for a roadside spare since it's a bolt on variant and not riveted to the breaker plate like some are.

Installed the new distributor this morning. It was pretty uneventful. Fired right up, set timing, checked ignition curve, checked vac advance. Test drove it, has slightly better low end acceleration than before and really smooth response, lots of power with mild throttle. Set initial for 13* BTDC, all in 32-33 degrees at around 3100 is what it was reading. Vac advance out of the box was set for 16 degrees. I noticed the idle in park was smoother than before, it always got kinda shaky idling in park with both engines, probably because of that old distributor. I also put another new NOS standard DS II module on afterwards. The epoxy on the old one was getting pretty gooey. 450792598_1393791444650098_3304050967900778613_n.jpg.464e9df83c62071c01c83ba0bc877184.jpg449980774_673802784951315_8963089151293226903_n.jpg.f383118090d183d4c16375c45b1ef997.jpg449766217_3790296371206767_4179333018790851877_n.jpg.deca22766f740d29f7f3f58273f812d9.jpg451593869_1054338049380455_5061176044168000461_n.jpg.1146ca850500dc51a8bc7fe388f9ab20.jpg

For the electrical connections I cut the wire connector off my old spare magnetic pickup and spliced it in so I can use the factory DS II connection, the ground I grounded to a small hole on the vacuum advance pod so the module can be grounded to the distributor like it should.

Installed the new distributor this morning. It was pretty uneventful. Fired right up, set timing, checked ignition curve, checked vac advance. Test drove it, has slightly better low end acceleration than before and really smooth response, lots of power with mild throttle. Set initial for 13* BTDC, all in 32-33 degrees at around 3100 is what it was reading. Vac advance out of the box was set for 16 degrees. I noticed the idle in park was smoother than before, it always got kinda shaky idling in park with both engines, probably because of that old distributor. I also put another new NOS standard DS II module on afterwards. The epoxy on the old one was getting pretty gooey.

For the electrical connections I cut the wire connector off my old spare magnetic pickup and spliced it in so I can use the factory DS II connection, the ground I grounded to a small hole on the vacuum advance pod so the module can be grounded to the distributor like it should.

:nabble_anim_jump:. Excellent!

Installed the new distributor this morning. It was pretty uneventful. Fired right up, set timing, checked ignition curve, checked vac advance. Test drove it, has slightly better low end acceleration than before and really smooth response, lots of power with mild throttle. Set initial for 13* BTDC, all in 32-33 degrees at around 3100 is what it was reading. Vac advance out of the box was set for 16 degrees. I noticed the idle in park was smoother than before, it always got kinda shaky idling in park with both engines, probably because of that old distributor. I also put another new NOS standard DS II module on afterwards. The epoxy on the old one was getting pretty gooey.

So that's what that module is.

Specifically the common blue grommet module, opposed to high altitude or California modules.

I believe other colours include yellow, green and red/maroon.

Wasn't there also a white grommet module? I was done some reading one night about duraspark II and someone on another forum was looking for one. Apparently the same as the blue grommet but retards the timing 10 degrees on startup?

I took the old distributor apart and man that thing was total junk. The main shaft bushings were egged out, the shaft especially where it rides in the upper bushing was really worn and grooved. The slop in the top of the distributor was the bushings in the advance slot plate were all worn oblong and the upper half of the shaft really worn also. Not really surprised with the main shaft bushings, but for how little the centrifugal advance moves it sure wore itself right out. Vibration caused it? only thing I can think of. It's now a 351W oil pump priming tool. Can't say I recommend the Cardone select distributors after seeing that one OR the reman version which is what the truck had when I bought it, it was also junk.

Took the truck into town and back to get some food and it ran excellent with the new distributor, handled 90 degree heat and 200 degree coolant temps just fine without quitting or leaving me stranded. Fired right back up when I got home so that's good. Seems to be a good buy. Leaving the intake exhaust crossover passage unblocked doesn't seem to bother this thing at all in the heat either. My favorite part about it, is I can't feel that thing idle in gear at all.