Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

"Re-assembly is the reverse of removal"...

Always fun when the entire vehicle is built around 'X'. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Heater core on the firewall above the tunnel on later Ford vehicles comes to mind. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Like my 1970 LTD and 1971 Colony Park. Simplest job in the world, 2 hose clamps, 6 screws and lift it out. I even tested one for laks by removing the screws and lifting the cover, core and hoses out then pressurized it to find if it was leaking (it was). Done right, you would lose the core's coolant and a little from the hoses.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No rest for the weary.

I think I have what is the fuel system control harness out. AC and dash box is out. Dug some of the compost out of the cavity in the footwell. That looks to be still solid down there. I'm thinking some 80mesh screen is about to get welded into the cowl or that pocket to prevent that from happening again.

I didn't remove the fender to get the box out used a combo of flex extensions and unis. The upper passenger bolt has a nut on the back instead of a nut plate. That took some effort to grab through the air box. If the damper door was closed it would have been impossible.

I put screen under the cowl panel to keep leaves and other debris out.

I put screen under the cowl panel to keep leaves and other debris out.

Working this wire harness right now. I think what I have here are the fuel pump relays.

Trying to identify power ratings for these one is a switching 5 pin relay (913157) should be the FY-864 dual fuel tank pump relay.

The other is a Ford 4 pin on/off relay with green bottom and 4LDX imprinted on it all other markings are gone. I think this may provide power to the fuel pump when ignition is turned on.

1000004461.jpg.ba5e3a4568da7989c89d22bd286eb90a.jpg

This 4 terminal relay has what appears to be a fuse link that is tan or yellow with black dashes along with a black wire together on terminal 3.

Red wire with blue stripe? Term 2

Ground Term 1

Yellow wire on term 4 that yellow wire crosses the radiator over to the harness through the firewall that goes to the climate control panel.

20240713_140123.jpg.695dc0244cff2a6db9596245b7322717.jpg

Working this wire harness right now. I think what I have here are the fuel pump relays.

Trying to identify power ratings for these one is a switching 5 pin relay (913157) should be the FY-864 dual fuel tank pump relay.

The other is a Ford 4 pin on/off relay with green bottom and 4LDX imprinted on it all other markings are gone. I think this may provide power to the fuel pump when ignition is turned on.

This 4 terminal relay has what appears to be a fuse link that is tan or yellow with black dashes along with a black wire together on terminal 3.

Red wire with blue stripe? Term 2

Ground Term 1

Yellow wire on term 4 that yellow wire crosses the radiator over to the harness through the firewall that goes to the climate control panel.

Do you have hot fuel handling?

That tan/black stripe wire might be the resistance wire for the electric in-tank fuel pumps... it should be pink/bk but probably faded

Do you have hot fuel handling?

That tan/black stripe wire might be the resistance wire for the electric in-tank fuel pumps... it should be pink/bk but probably faded

Pink/black is the starter bypass (prime while cranking)

The resistor in this case is not a length of wire, it's an actual component, after the relay, but before the inertia switch.

Pink/black is the starter bypass (prime while cranking)

The resistor in this case is not a length of wire, it's an actual component, after the relay, but before the inertia switch.

My bad Jim, I have always just referred to this diagram

dual_tank-pump_wiring_diagram.thumb.gif.9af526216497f33cdafbe7acf9e0e6a9.gif

My bad Jim, I have always just referred to this diagram

Which year is this for Vivek?

Honestly, I can usually picture the pages of my EVTM in my head and just "be the electron" following it like a road map. :nabble_anim_confused:

I apologize if the diagram I'm picturing is not 1986, but AFAIK nothing changed in the last year carbureted fuel delivery, just the senders have different values and read 'upside down' because the instruments aren't thermal.

Which year is this for Vivek?

Honestly, I can usually picture the pages of my EVTM in my head and just "be the electron" following it like a road map. :nabble_anim_confused:

I apologize if the diagram I'm picturing is not 1986, but AFAIK nothing changed in the last year carbureted fuel delivery, just the senders have different values and read 'upside down' because the instruments aren't thermal.

Jim, the one I referred to works for a 1984... But you bring up a good point, if Danny's truck is an 85/86 it might be best to refer to the EVTMs... I can't remember what.. but I seem to recall certain differences in 460 fuel systems. I think the 85/86 years used the larger 3.5" sending unit holes...

EVTMs

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/electric-fuel-pump-control1.html

Jim, the one I referred to works for a 1984... But you bring up a good point, if Danny's truck is an 85/86 it might be best to refer to the EVTMs... I can't remember what.. but I seem to recall certain differences in 460 fuel systems. I think the 85/86 years used the larger 3.5" sending unit holes...

EVTMs

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/electric-fuel-pump-control1.html

The HFH system underwent a couple of changes.

In the beginning I think the power switched at the actual switch, so there wasn't a selector relay.

The six port valve changed too.

Beginning in '85 ALL trucks got the bigger tank bing, because the 5.0 EFI pump/sender assembly had to fit in the tank.

In '87 the filler necks changed, and fuel went down the center with a annular/circumferential vent helping deal with filling "click off"

These tanks have no vent support ring.

The HFH system underwent a couple of changes.

In the beginning I think the power switched at the actual switch, so there wasn't a selector relay.

The six port valve changed too.

Beginning in '85 ALL trucks got the bigger tank bing, because the 5.0 EFI pump/sender assembly had to fit in the tank.

In '87 the filler necks changed, and fuel went down the center with a annular/circumferential vent helping deal with filling "click off"

These tanks have no vent support ring.

I've cleaned up everything else and am about to do some EVTM reading. Even if this is 84 and not the 85 diagram it still confirms my thoughts.

The 4 pin relay is on when you turn the key pulling power to the fuel system, and the 5 pin selects fwd or aft tank.

SmartSelect_20240713_221037_Chrome.jpg.0d6285b9ff0bb15faa3a1efb83240dc8.jpg