Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

The Felpro - 60390 is one hunk of a gasket. Is about 1/4 inch thick and has those bushes in the corner. I had looked for this type of gasket for quite sometime. This gasket is probably my favorite find...

And I use a 1/4 inch ratchet to tighten those base bolts. I always use a smaller tool if in doubt :nabble_smiley_happy:

And yes looking forward to playing with the AVS!!

Checked fluids this morning then took the truck out for a spin. There must have been some air trapped in that converter or something because it felt way better today driving. It fired right up with no smoke, great oil pressure, 65-70 PSI cold and hot idling in gear its still 35. 55-60 PSI hot driving with 10W40 penngrade 1. Engine runs like a top it idles so smooth when warm you can't even feel it run and its really smooth accelerating and cruising. The converter is a tad looser than I wanted but it works well and the trans shifts great. Coolant temps stayed 195-200 which is good considering the engine is still really tight and it was 90 degrees out already. Didn't find anything leaking either.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Checked fluids this morning then took the truck out for a spin. There must have been some air trapped in that converter or something because it felt way better today driving. It fired right up with no smoke, great oil pressure, 65-70 PSI cold and hot idling in gear its still 35. 55-60 PSI hot driving with 10W40 penngrade 1. Engine runs like a top it idles so smooth when warm you can't even feel it run and its really smooth accelerating and cruising. The converter is a tad looser than I wanted but it works well and the trans shifts great. Coolant temps stayed 195-200 which is good considering the engine is still really tight and it was 90 degrees out already. Didn't find anything leaking either.

Excellent! Glad it is running and driving so well. :nabble_anim_claps:

Love it! :nabble_anim_claps:

Your 'feet' belong in a early '70's Baja Bug dunebuggy. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

What's with the coolie hat?

Is it there to hold up the bedouin style roof liner?

So, today I took the dash apart to access the A/C evap box. Discovered that I do not have the correct fittings for the evaporator or expansion valve.

Proceeded to move on to getting the compressor mounted, and had to make a minor modification to the crossmember. Once that was completed, I then removed the radiator for installing the new condensor assembly. Quite large unit, almost as big as the radiator itself. This required a bit more modification to the radiator support....

So, for now, my dash is barely bolted into place, just enough to allow plugging in the instrument cluster. I was working in a freind's shop, and needed to be able to drive it home.

What's left of the dashpad (it's in pretty sad shape from the effects of 40+ years of direct sunlight) is laying in the bed, getting washed by the rain. The grill is also laying in the bed, as it can't go back in until I make the connections at the condensor. So, I grabbed a can of black spray "Powdercoating" and gave the remaining portions of the radiator support a fresh coat.

A/C will happen, but it's gonna be a couple more days.....

So, today I took the dash apart to access the A/C evap box. Discovered that I do not have the correct fittings for the evaporator or expansion valve.

Proceeded to move on to getting the compressor mounted, and had to make a minor modification to the crossmember. Once that was completed, I then removed the radiator for installing the new condensor assembly. Quite large unit, almost as big as the radiator itself. This required a bit more modification to the radiator support....

So, for now, my dash is barely bolted into place, just enough to allow plugging in the instrument cluster. I was working in a freind's shop, and needed to be able to drive it home.

What's left of the dashpad (it's in pretty sad shape from the effects of 40+ years of direct sunlight) is laying in the bed, getting washed by the rain. The grill is also laying in the bed, as it can't go back in until I make the connections at the condensor. So, I grabbed a can of black spray "Powdercoating" and gave the remaining portions of the radiator support a fresh coat.

But progress is good! :nabble_smiley_good: and you will be way more comfortable...

I'm glad to see you're back, and hope you locate the correct fittings locally, or overnight.

I've been running into all kinds of stupid stumbling blocks like that, trying to piece my diff back together. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

And luckily the weather is going to stay fairly cool, if not wet, for a couple of days. (For the others, we had a good rain storm this morning and are to have another tonight. Then the tail end of Beryl is supposed to come through on Tuesday, so the heat doesn't come back until mid-week.) I hope you get the A/C system going by the end of the week when it is to get HOT again. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

And luckily the weather is going to stay fairly cool, if not wet, for a couple of days. (For the others, we had a good rain storm this morning and are to have another tonight. Then the tail end of Beryl is supposed to come through on Tuesday, so the heat doesn't come back until mid-week.) I hope you get the A/C system going by the end of the week when it is to get HOT again. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

I should be able to get the fittings sorta local. When my truck was new, there were 3 outfits in Tulsa that did dealer-installed A/C systems. One of them is still around. They were the folks I went to to get the rest of the fittings, and the condensor. He took a guess at what was inside the dash, and it wasn't quite right. Can't fault him, his company wasn't the one who did the original install, and he didn't have a lot experience dealing with this particular manufacturer of A/C systems.

Yeah, the weather has taken a turn for the wetter and cooler for a few days. I hope to get most everything done before the heat returns, as time and work allow. I want to be able to COMFORTABLY drive this truck all summer, something I haven't been able to do since completing the Cummins swap a few years back.

I should be able to get the fittings sorta local. When my truck was new, there were 3 outfits in Tulsa that did dealer-installed A/C systems. One of them is still around. They were the folks I went to to get the rest of the fittings, and the condensor. He took a guess at what was inside the dash, and it wasn't quite right. Can't fault him, his company wasn't the one who did the original install, and he didn't have a lot experience dealing with this particular manufacturer of A/C systems.

Yeah, the weather has taken a turn for the wetter and cooler for a few days. I hope to get most everything done before the heat returns, as time and work allow. I want to be able to COMFORTABLY drive this truck all summer, something I haven't been able to do since completing the Cummins swap a few years back.

Received the Edelbrock 650 AVS from Jim today.

Jim, you should become an instructor with Amazon's shipping department on best practices for shipping. Your packaging was spot on and eco friendly. Amazon's eco-friendly / sustainable package leaves much to be desired namely protective elements therein:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Received the Edelbrock 650 AVS from Jim today.

Jim, you should become an instructor with Amazon's shipping department on best practices for shipping. Your packaging was spot on and eco friendly. Amazon's eco-friendly / sustainable package leaves much to be desired namely protective elements therein:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Can't wait to see what you think of that carb. And this is the forum working its magic. :nabble_anim_claps: