Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Lock the steering wheel straight ahead and adjust your tie rod ends so the wheels are straight, with the correct toe in.

Adjusted Tie Rod. The problem is that the adjustment is only available on the driver side. Passenger side is not adjustable, drag link ties into a solid center link.

The existing alignment has a lot of Toe out so I was able to bring in the passenger to a mild Toe out and that corrected the steering to where it has ~1.6 turns to the left lock and a little over ~1.75 turns to the right lock.

What is the Toe specification for these 4x4s ? F150/Broncos

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Adjusted Tie Rod. The problem is that the adjustment is only available on the driver side. Passenger side is not adjustable, drag link ties into a solid center link.

The existing alignment has a lot of Toe out so I was able to bring in the passenger to a mild Toe out and that corrected the steering to where it has ~1.6 turns to the left lock and a little over ~1.75 turns to the right lock.

What is the Toe specification for these 4x4s ? F150/Broncos

Alignment specs are on the page at Documenation/Suspension & Steering/Alignment.

Alignment specs are on the page at Documenation/Suspension & Steering/Alignment.

Yes I saw that and also my 78 manual. Sorry I should been more clear. It appears to be calling out for a Toe of min 1/16 to max 5/16 inch.

Does that mean Toe-in ??

If so, the Bronco was waay out of spec (very obvious toe out is what I saw) ? Wonder if that’s a mudding thing to do …

My bricknose dash is different, but to release the cable you have to push the white retainer collar tab in towards the metal cable end.

Right. We actually have a how-to on our page at Documentation/Driveline/Speedometers, Gears, Cables, & Sensors and then the Speedo Cables tab.

I got about half of the dash loose I have what's left from the radio bezel edge to the passenger door and then I should get it out. But for now I'm waiting out the heat. Wish I had a garage with AC I could pull it into.

After that I have to do the same to the 86. I did pull the dash pad out of the 86 already and some smaller parts I will definitely need before I realized the F-350 dash is in such disrepair.

For the life of me I can't figure why Ford wedged some of these Philips screws in the paces they did. I'm going to probably replace these blind fasteners with hex heads in case it ever needs to come off again.

Been using a small bit ratchet to get these off which helped for sure.

I got about half of the dash loose I have what's left from the radio bezel edge to the passenger door and then I should get it out. But for now I'm waiting out the heat. Wish I had a garage with AC I could pull it into.

After that I have to do the same to the 86. I did pull the dash pad out of the 86 already and some smaller parts I will definitely need before I realized the F-350 dash is in such disrepair.

For the life of me I can't figure why Ford wedged some of these Philips screws in the paces they did. I'm going to probably replace these blind fasteners with hex heads in case it ever needs to come off again.

The sonic cleaner has proven pretty invaluable for metal and chrome parts. I accidentally left the heat on with this new one and a window crank in there.... The plastic didn't like that. The new cleaner has knobs in lieu of digital buttons and timers.

20240704_153503.jpg.906c3c31727fadcd2527ec1035ddd8a2.jpg

If you saw how these were built it would make sense. The dash was installed before the windshield. I visited the Norfolk Assembly plant three times between the early 50s and when it closed.

Yes I saw that and also my 78 manual. Sorry I should been more clear. It appears to be calling out for a Toe of min 1/16 to max 5/16 inch.

Does that mean Toe-in ??

If so, the Bronco was waay out of spec (very obvious toe out is what I saw) ? Wonder if that’s a mudding thing to do …

as a rule, it is that the toe in is the setting. in a perfect world the front two wheels would be perfectly square to each other to avoid any bias pulling the vehicle one way or the other based on road changes. however, we have all of these rubber bushings to absorb shock and vibrations that these trucks have a bit of "sponge" built in. this requires that the front wheels be ever so slightly toe in so that road forces and bumps hold them nearly square against the built in cushion. toe out will give the wheel with the most road holding to control direction. possibly giving the operator a real job of holding a strait line, especially on bumpy roads.