Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you have a way to measure the shaft, take it back and get another one.

If it's v-belt, the belt will hold it in place for a while but will probably start slipping after a while, don't chance that.

Bill

I have measured like 3 reman shafts so far. The amazon and o'reilly ones are about 0.001" smaller and the Autozone one is about 0.0005" smaller and just that much makes a huge difference!! I can tell the Autozone one wants to behave almost like the old one, it offers some resistance but it still slides all the way in.

Too bad I cannot get my hands on a new one. Well I can but at $250, I would rather just reuse my old pump.

I could sell it, but like I said, that doesn't leave me with great options. I know Dodge transmissions didn't have great reputations, but it's not like I'm taxing it that hard, so it seems like it ought to be able to hold up. We'll see what it takes to fix it this time (4 days at the shop and I still don't know anything). That'll help inform the next steps.

What does Oswald need? I don't know, that's the problem. I haven't been driving him for about 15 months. I know the battery was stone-dead. I put it on a charger so we'll see how well it holds. And the transfer case shift linkage is stuck in 4WD (hubs are unlocked so not a big deal, but something I'd want to address before driving him much). And insurance and gas. So I'll try to start driving him this weekend and see where it goes from there.

(next on the Dodge)

A week and a day after getting the Dodge in to the shop I have a diagnosis and an action plan. It's getting a new transmission (well, probably a reman). That comes with a 3 year warrantee, or I could've saved $1600 and got a used trans and maybe been in the same situation in another year.

Not thrilled, but it seems like this'll give me pretty good odds of not having trans issues for the rest of the time I own this truck.

And driving Oswald for the last few days has reminded me of a few things. I really like '80s and '90s Ford trucks! Not that I'd forgotten, but driving the Dodge for the last year has been OK, and then I get into Oswald and remember why it'll be worth the effort to restore him. I just like driving these trucks better!

Another thing I'm reminded of is that he really needs restoring! There are no show-stoppers, but he doesn't let you forget that he's an old truck.

And boy that 460 sucks gas!

A week and a day after getting the Dodge in to the shop I have a diagnosis and an action plan. It's getting a new transmission (well, probably a reman). That comes with a 3 year warrantee, or I could've saved $1600 and got a used trans and maybe been in the same situation in another year.

Not thrilled, but it seems like this'll give me pretty good odds of not having trans issues for the rest of the time I own this truck.

And driving Oswald for the last few days has reminded me of a few things. I really like '80s and '90s Ford trucks! Not that I'd forgotten, but driving the Dodge for the last year has been OK, and then I get into Oswald and remember why it'll be worth the effort to restore him. I just like driving these trucks better!

Another thing I'm reminded of is that he really needs restoring! There are no show-stoppers, but he doesn't let you forget that he's an old truck.

I'm right there with you! ∆∆∆

What kind of mileage does your Dodge get???

I wonder what kind of mileage a 460 would get if optimized for a particular rpm and you stuck an 11 speed automatic behind it?

Yeah, what kind of MPG is that 460 getting? 10? the last several years I averaged 9-10 with a 351W, driving it easy.

I'm right there with you! ∆∆∆

What kind of mileage does your Dodge get???

I wonder what kind of mileage a 460 would get if optimized for a particular rpm and you stuck an 11 speed automatic behind it?

Dunno, Jim. But in my fairly lengthy highway driving in 5th gear Big Blue gets 11 - 12 MPG at a steady 2000 RPM, which is about 68 MPH.

Dunno, Jim. But in my fairly lengthy highway driving in 5th gear Big Blue gets 11 - 12 MPG at a steady 2000 RPM, which is about 68 MPH.

Ya know, I almost forgot this forum existed, until I googled something......

My 5.9 powered F150 still gets around 30 MPG mixed driving. As I am in the process of rebuilding the A/C system, we'll see if that does much to the fuel consumption numbers.

While 30-ish MPG is great, the cost of diesel isn't......

Uphill, downhill, laden, empty, town or highway (albeit typically faster than Gary, and I have 4.10's)

We know that drag increases in square, so there IS that... 🤨

But really, how much better is the newer Dodge?

If it got 20 highway that would be double, but do we all drive like grandfather's on the highway only?

What about using a truck as a truck instead of a hormone & steroid loaded jalopy on a Sunday cruise?

When can you avoid stop lights and traffic?

When do you NOT need a ton or more of lumber, concrete, roof shingles, whatever???

Ya know, I almost forgot this forum existed, until I googled something......

My 5.9 powered F150 still gets around 30 MPG mixed driving. As I am in the process of rebuilding the A/C system, we'll see if that does much to the fuel consumption numbers.

While 30-ish MPG is great, the cost of diesel isn't......

Fancy meeting you here! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: :nabble_waving_orig:

Your 3 gallon oil change and $75 filter pretty much take the sting out of my rump, Paul! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Fancy meeting you here! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: :nabble_waving_orig:

Your 3 gallon oil change and $75 filter pretty much take the sting out of my rump, Paul! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

3 gallon oil yes, but the oil filter and fuel filter combined aren't too bad. See, I work in an auto parts store. Employee discount makes a slight difference........