Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I bought the Cardone 20-6240 which shows up as THE PUMP whether it is a 1978 Bronco with a 400 (Actual vehicle) or a 1986 F250 with a 460 (engine source).

O'Reilly has the same pump as well for both options (711-2115).

Autozone has a TruGrade/Endurance Power Steering Pump 7050 for a 1986 F250 but a different 7056 one for a 1978 Bronco 400.... wonder what is different between the 2 pumps.. they look identical.

I'll go to Autozone later today with the pulley! Hoping to sort this one. Perils of OEM discontinuation. I don't know how restoration shops do this ALL the time!!

25% grunt work, 42% mechanic work, 38 % parts searching and 7% general math.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25% grunt work, 42% mechanic work, 38 % parts searching and 7% general math.

Sounds about right! :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

I have visited Autozone, OReilly today and also picked up a micrometer set from HF.

The O'Reilly pump is comparable to the Cardone one. Those have 0.001" smaller shaft diameter and just that much makes a huge difference in the interference fit.

The Autozone one has ~0.0005 smaller but fits nearly as good as the original

The original still fits well so I know the pulley hasn't been jacked up when I tried to remove it :nabble_poo-23_orig:

I'm guessing the reman process machining is responsible for the smaller diameter but it is causing the pulley to sit ~1/16" deeper.

Hoping it doesn't cause Belt misalignment.... assuming a V-belt can deal with some of that... I know a serpentine belt is more finicky.

I wish I can sometimes ignore small things and "send it". I've heard some of the hipsters say "just send it" on Facebook... I haven't gravitated to that paradigm yet.

I have visited Autozone, OReilly today and also picked up a micrometer set from HF.

The O'Reilly pump is comparable to the Cardone one. Those have 0.001" smaller shaft diameter and just that much makes a huge difference in the interference fit.

The original still fits well so I know the pulley hasn't been jacked up when I tried to remove it :nabble_poo-23_orig:

I'm guessing the reman process machining is responsible for the smaller diameter but it is causing the pulley to sit ~1/16" deeper.

Hoping it doesn't cause Belt misalignment.... assuming a V-belt can deal with some of that... I know a serpentine belt is more finicky.

I wish I can sometimes ignore small things and "send it". I've heard some of the hipsters say "just send it" on Facebook... I haven't gravitated to that paradigm yet.

Took the 350 on a 40 mile round trip to work. Most of it 60-65mph down I26.

Two bit things I noticed on the way home. 1) there is a hold in the firewall right behind the engine that is wide open... And it's hot.

2) I have a chirp coming from the passenger front tire that speeds up and slows down with my speed.

3) Definitely need to get that steering tightened up a bit.

Took the 350 on a 40 mile round trip to work. Most of it 60-65mph down I26.

Two bit things I noticed on the way home. 1) there is a hold in the firewall right behind the engine that is wide open... And it's hot.

2) I have a chirp coming from the passenger front tire that speeds up and slows down with my speed.

3) Definitely need to get that steering tightened up a bit.

A special situation forced Big Bro to hit the road as a daily drive vehicle for the week.

My Chevy Volt is at the paint shop (needed some refresh, after 6 years on the Salt Kingdom roads).

Big Bro is happy to go to office.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

viven44,

I have a small toaster oven that was no longer suitable for home use that I have used to heat parts so they are easier to install on a shaft such as what you're working on. It's a heat the pulley, cool the shaft thing, a torch will work on the pulley, if you don't overdo it.

Bill

If a half thou makes you nervous just use a drop of green stud & bearing mount on the shaft.

You may need to take a torch to the pulley in order to get it off, but if the pump is shot and going back as a core you don't care about the seal anyhow. 🤷‍♂️

A special situation forced Big Bro to hit the road as a daily drive vehicle for the week.

My Chevy Volt is at the paint shop (needed some refresh, after 6 years on the Salt Kingdom roads).

Big Bro is happy to go to office.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

I bet he starts right up when he's used twice a day! :nabble_smiley_super:

viven44,

I have a small toaster oven that was no longer suitable for home use that I have used to heat parts so they are easier to install on a shaft such as what you're working on. It's a heat the pulley, cool the shaft thing, a torch will work on the pulley, if you don't overdo it.

Bill

Thanks!

My issue is that the pulley slides on too easy. Only pressed in the last 1/16th.

Thanks!

My issue is that the pulley slides on too easy. Only pressed in the last 1/16th.

If you have a way to measure the shaft, take it back and get another one.

If it's v-belt, the belt will hold it in place for a while but will probably start slipping after a while, don't chance that.

Bill