Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Progress is Gooood! :nabble_smiley_good:

Cooler is essential. C6's are bulletproof, but they're really good at turning power into heat.

Sorry to hear you're still under the weather. Hope you shake whatever bug and are back 100% really soon!

Hopefully eliminating all but 2 of the thrust washers for torrington bearings helps cut down on some heat. Originally this truck had the radiator cooler, the factory external and someone put another external cooler on. It seemed to have worked, because nothing looked cooked inside, other than the seals were a bit hard from age and use. I'm supposed to get my selective thrust washer kit to set the end play tomorrow, should be able to get the transmission finished tuesday or wednesday, hoping to put it all back in thursday since I have the day off. Ready to be done with it. I feel ok, just no energy the last couple of days.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hopefully eliminating all but 2 of the thrust washers for torrington bearings helps cut down on some heat. Originally this truck had the radiator cooler, the factory external and someone put another external cooler on. It seemed to have worked, because nothing looked cooked inside, other than the seals were a bit hard from age and use. I'm supposed to get my selective thrust washer kit to set the end play tomorrow, should be able to get the transmission finished tuesday or wednesday, hoping to put it all back in thursday since I have the day off. Ready to be done with it. I feel ok, just no energy the last couple of days.

Eliminating friction wherever possible always helps. 👍

How's the heat where you are? (sorry, I don't look at the map often)

I know laying on asphalt the other day fixing my nephews new -to him- car really took it out of me!

I'm reminded that Torrington is about the highest point in my state, but still south of the Berkshires.

There used to be a lot of industry jobs here (machine tools, firearms & all type of military work) because of all the rivers.

We still have what's left of Electric Boat, Sikorsky and Pratt & Whitney.

Bridgeport, Moore, Pratt&Whitney and the other machine tool companies + Ruger, Colt, Winchester, Remington, etc are all long gone.

Eliminating friction wherever possible always helps. 👍

How's the heat where you are? (sorry, I don't look at the map often)

I know laying on asphalt the other day fixing my nephews new -to him- car really took it out of me!

I'm reminded that Torrington is about the highest point in my state, but still south of the Berkshires.

There used to be a lot of industry jobs here (machine tools, firearms & all type of military work) because of all the rivers.

We still have what's left of Electric Boat, Sikorsky and Pratt & Whitney.

Bridgeport, Moore, Pratt&Whitney and the other machine tool companies + Ruger, Colt, Winchester, Remington, etc are all long gone.

The heat hasn't been bad here, I think today it was around 70 degrees. Yesterday about the same, but it was really humid. Did drywall work all day saturday, that sucked with no energy.

The heat hasn't been bad here, I think today it was around 70 degrees. Yesterday about the same, but it was really humid. Did drywall work all day saturday, that sucked with no energy.

Yes, progress is good! :nabble_anim_claps:

And those bearings will help some, but I'd bet the major heat source is the slippage in the torque converter. Typically the input is spinning 250 - 300 RPM more than the output, and all of that loss is turned into heat. And that makes the cooling so important.

Don't remember what you said you had, but there's been a number of things making the rounds here in Okiehoma that just leave you feeling tired. The energy returns, but slowly. So I hope you get completely over it very soon. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

And those bearings will help some, but I'd bet the major heat source is the slippage in the torque converter. Typically the input is spinning 250 - 300 RPM more than the output, and all of that loss is turned into heat. And that makes the cooling so important.

Don't remember what you said you had, but there's been a number of things making the rounds here in Okiehoma that just leave you feeling tired. The energy returns, but slowly. So I hope you get completely over it very soon. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

The new torque converter I have is rated for 2000-2500 stall, hoping it winds up around 2000-2200. I wonder how much more heat that makes vs the stock 1600 stall? I'm really not sure what I had but it was awful. First few days it was like a chemical burn from my nose to my lungs, couldn't hardly sleep at all for 3 days. Fever, head and neck ached a bit, got the chills, next few days it was just a really bad sore throat and I about lost my voice for 3-4 days, turned into a sinus infection deal. I fought the runny nose and cough all last week at work but felt ok otherwise, finally got rid of that.

I have had plenty of experience with appliances also. those too are made more disposable with every mandate. this all has very little to do with freezing food, cooking food, doing the dishes or even washing clothes. hell, it doesn't even have anything real to do with saving water, gas or electricity. manufacturing makes money! money exchange generates taxation! taxation creates initiative to become frugal. being frugal is out of fashion. being in fashion with the justification of saving money and the environment inspires sales. and the cycle perpetuates.

The trend right now with younger generations is we want simpler appliances. A lot of my generation are looking to older appliances. We are tired of the $3000 refrigerators and stoves that last 12-18 months. I want a range that I can manually co troll temps, give me convention and that's it. I don't need a computer controlled range. I want a fridge that dispenses cold water and ice, and I can set the temp. I don't need anything else. Almost everything is app driven and talks to the Internet.

The trend right now with younger generations is we want simpler appliances. A lot of my generation are looking to older appliances. We are tired of the $3000 refrigerators and stoves that last 12-18 months. I want a range that I can manually co troll temps, give me convention and that's it. I don't need a computer controlled range. I want a fridge that dispenses cold water and ice, and I can set the temp. I don't need anything else. Almost everything is app driven and talks to the Internet.

Try getting a pickup (or any vehicle!) with a stick.

But we have refrigerators with AI that tell you when you're out of milk, and you can look inside them from the supermarket on your phone.

Humanity is damned! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Sounds about right, coming uphill loaded on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, transmission downshifted from 4th to 3rd, rpm went to 2200, which is about where the C6 ran at 55 mph, then as the converter clutch re-engaged, dropped to 1900 rpm.

Sounds about right, coming uphill loaded on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, transmission downshifted from 4th to 3rd, rpm went to 2200, which is about where the C6 ran at 55 mph, then as the converter clutch re-engaged, dropped to 1900 rpm.

Changing out the PS pump, and gearbox (Bronco came with a spare new rebuilt gearbox) to address the wandering steering. Waiting on the hoses.

Meanwhile I noticed the pulley went on about 1/16" deeper on the rebuilt/reconditioned PS pump.... I don't know If I accidentally expanded the pulley somehow trying to remove it or if the rebuilt PS pump's shaft is smaller slightly. Hoping this 1/16" deeper seating of the pulley doesn't have problems with belt riding on the pulley.

Changing out the PS pump, and gearbox (Bronco came with a spare new rebuilt gearbox) to address the wandering steering. Waiting on the hoses.

Meanwhile I noticed the pulley went on about 1/16" deeper on the rebuilt/reconditioned PS pump.... I don't know If I accidentally expanded the pulley somehow trying to remove it or if the rebuilt PS pump's shaft is smaller slightly. Hoping this 1/16" deeper seating of the pulley doesn't have problems with belt riding on the pulley.

It's not like the shaft is tapered. 🙄

If the pulleys are misaligned when it's installed just pull it out until it is coplanar.