Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Like I said, there's typically a plastic bushing and a retainer clip.

Are you saying the new motor should have a clip on bushings that extends the arm for both wipers?

I had the thought hey I got one on my other ford that worked. So I went to pull it off and that retainer clip for that one was so rusted it split. Now it's stuck and the bolt is seized as well lol.

But I got looking at it there is a ground jumper from the factory on this truck to the starter and main harness.

I wonder if the motor on the 350 just had a grounding issue.

Too late now outta time I am gonna hope the rain holds out for a bit.

Screenshot_20240630_111048_Gallery.thumb.jpg.4bf687a482a8df23acea37b91036df28.jpg

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you saying the new motor should have a clip on bushings that extends the arm for both wipers?

I had the thought hey I got one on my other ford that worked. So I went to pull it off and that retainer clip for that one was so rusted it split. Now it's stuck and the bolt is seized as well lol.

But I got looking at it there is a ground jumper from the factory on this truck to the starter and main harness.

I wonder if the motor on the 350 just had a grounding issue.

Too late now outta time I am gonna hope the rain holds out for a bit.

I've pointed out many times before that the wiper motor grounds to the manifold on V-8's.

I'm not sure where the ground goes on a 300??? :nabble_anim_confused:

My '87 has a different wiper motor, and a different plug, but there is a bush on the center link and a metal clip holds it to the motor eccentric arm.

Then there is a plastic snap in bush at each wiper pedestals extension.

I've pointed out many times before that the wiper motor grounds to the manifold on V-8's.

I'm not sure where the ground goes on a 300??? :nabble_anim_confused:

My '87 has a different wiper motor, and a different plug, but there is a bush on the center link and a metal clip holds it to the motor eccentric arm.

Then there is a plastic snap in bush at each wiper pedestals extension.

I think we may be talking about different spots right now.

Here's the issue. The wiper transmission linkages have a bushing. The drivers side is bigger than the passenger. They both can only slide over the wiper motor arm in the correct order. They are then secured by the clip. The problem with the replacement motors being sold is they don't have a compatible wiper arm. It only has provisions for the driver side wiper.

In the following pictures the new wiper motor arm is silver.

20240630_151256.jpg.3b949437eb14345355ed1627de678874.jpg

20240630_151326.jpg.0f9fad74b99b4028cd6105ae4b9abcf4.jpg

20240630_151334.jpg.bf5cbd70a3d45357a574b114bbd7fe2a.jpg

I cannot put the old wiper motor arm in the new motor either. The cut out is curved on one side and flat on the other. The new motor is essentially 180 degrees out and the motor shaft is slightly bigger on the new motor.

Here's the issue. The wiper transmission linkages have a bushing. The drivers side is bigger than the passenger. They both can only slide over the wiper motor arm in the correct order. They are then secured by the clip. The problem with the replacement motors being sold is they don't have a compatible wiper arm. It only has provisions for the driver side wiper.

I cannot put the old wiper motor arm in the new motor either. The cut out is curved on one side and flat on the other. The new motor is essentially 180 degrees out and the motor shaft is slightly bigger on the new motor.

Have you tried cycling the new motor?

Do you know it's parked in the right place???

If it were me, and I knew: A) the stepped shaft is needed, and B) the new motor does indeed park in the wrong spot, I would probably just cut both arms and weld them together where I needed them to be.

I really try to get 'name brand' parts, even if companies like Dorman and Standard have gone to :nabble_poo-23_orig: recently,

At least they seem to try and hold to the original spec.

If you brought the two back to the parts store and showed them what's going on they should make it right for you ASAP.

I realize this doesn't get you wipers this minute, when you need them, but hopefully the resolution is quick.

Comparison 86/85/New motors. Then with the motor arm attached you can see they are 180 out from each other. Even if the new one worked with the transmission linkages. I figured the PO just ordered the wrong one but every site I visited looks the same even LMC truck.

20240630_154411.jpg.c03b3491c4932d2e9ae7cf4f1263a7f6.jpg

20240630_154642.jpg.28a85d1521336838173d0f9669f7772e.jpg

I could sell it, but like I said, that doesn't leave me with great options. I know Dodge transmissions didn't have great reputations, but it's not like I'm taxing it that hard, so it seems like it ought to be able to hold up. We'll see what it takes to fix it this time (4 days at the shop and I still don't know anything). That'll help inform the next steps.

What does Oswald need? I don't know, that's the problem. I haven't been driving him for about 15 months. I know the battery was stone-dead. I put it on a charger so we'll see how well it holds. And the transfer case shift linkage is stuck in 4WD (hubs are unlocked so not a big deal, but something I'd want to address before driving him much). And insurance and gas. So I'll try to start driving him this weekend and see where it goes from there.

(next on the Dodge)

Well, Oswald is on the road again. After having a charger on the dead battery from Wednesday night to Thursday night it sat until Sunday afternoon. I checked the voltage and it was at 12.4. Maybe not great, but not too bad. And it cranked pretty strong. No fire though. After it started so well a couple weeks ago I wondered if it was out of gas (I had run one tank dry and the other very low since it was all coming apart soon). After dumping my lawnmower gas in the tank it started right up.

So now I drive Oswald for a few days to regain confidence before driving him up to the cabin next weekend. Unless the Dodge gets fixed and I get it back before then. But I'm not holding my breath on that.

Well, Oswald is on the road again. After having a charger on the dead battery from Wednesday night to Thursday night it sat until Sunday afternoon. I checked the voltage and it was at 12.4. Maybe not great, but not too bad. And it cranked pretty strong. No fire though. After it started so well a couple weeks ago I wondered if it was out of gas (I had run one tank dry and the other very low since it was all coming apart soon). After dumping my lawnmower gas in the tank it started right up.

So now I drive Oswald for a few days to regain confidence before driving him up to the cabin next weekend. Unless the Dodge gets fixed and I get it back before then. But I'm not holding my breath on that.

Glad you got him going. :nabble_anim_claps:

The gas thing reminds me - I was driving Big Blue the other day and wondered how much fuel was in the other tank. Flipped the switch and before the gauge started to swing the engine died. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Comparison 86/85/New motors. Then with the motor arm attached you can see they are 180 out from each other. Even if the new one worked with the transmission linkages. I figured the PO just ordered the wrong one but every site I visited looks the same even LMC truck.

Danny, I believe you are on the right track. yes, you must have the original arm to fit the step style bronze bushings of the two arms. it is however very likely that the two motors are not parked the same. even if the new reman was tested, it does not mean run to a parked position (although it should). plug it in and run it to park it and check again.

you will run into this type of thing going forward as we can no longer get "ford parts" wait until you are dealing with fuel sending units! or the combination fuel system for an f350 with 460 and dual tanks. have beer ready. haha.

Danny, I believe you are on the right track. yes, you must have the original arm to fit the step style bronze bushings of the two arms. it is however very likely that the two motors are not parked the same. even if the new reman was tested, it does not mean run to a parked position (although it should). plug it in and run it to park it and check again.

you will run into this type of thing going forward as we can no longer get "ford parts" wait until you are dealing with fuel sending units! or the combination fuel system for an f350 with 460 and dual tanks. have beer ready. haha.

Thanks everyone. I got it back together and working. I stole the 86's wiper motor and it runs like a champ.

I think I may disassemble the 85 and see what's got it locked up and if I can transfer the guts between that and the reman.

I definitely have some alignment and work to do the hood is adjusted so it doesn't hit the cowl right now but it's not aligned right. I think the part that meets the cowl is also pretty far below the cowl right now. That's another day.

The passenger side of the cowl behind the antenna is loose. Is this held by the chrome window trim?

If that's the case I need new clips as that corner is not retained right now. I have the screws in along the back of the cowl as best as I can tell all in place.

Thanks everyone. I got it back together and working. I stole the 86's wiper motor and it runs like a champ.

I think I may disassemble the 85 and see what's got it locked up and if I can transfer the guts between that and the reman.

I definitely have some alignment and work to do the hood is adjusted so it doesn't hit the cowl right now but it's not aligned right. I think the part that meets the cowl is also pretty far below the cowl right now. That's another day.

The passenger side of the cowl behind the antenna is loose. Is this held by the chrome window trim?

If that's the case I need new clips as that corner is not retained right now. I have the screws in along the back of the cowl as best as I can tell all in place.

yes, the rear most points of the cowl are held down at/ by the window trim. the lower trim has the long clips where the sides and top have the squares. these tend to rust away, especially the lowers.