Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Ford has a weird setup where soft nylon lines use an o-ringed fitting and "duckbill" locking tab to join a flare/flange on the hardlines running up the frame rail.

I'm not certain, but I think both soft and rigid line are the same ID.

I do well know that convention says hose and pipe are ID & tubing is OD, but I don't think that's the case here..... :nabble_anim_confused:

I took the chance to look into my f250and why it runs so great empty yet has no guts when pulling a loaded trailer. I looked closely at the carb as it feels lean. went over all and even pulled the top to see float level, jets etc. all checked out well, so I moved on to timing. running check shows base at spec and advance to be topping out at about 20 deg. acting mechanical only. pulled the dist. cap and rotor to check advance motion. wouldn't you know it. stuck! zero response from a vac pump check. plate will not move by hand! tapped it around clockwise, sprayed with freeall, tapped it back, repeated till free as new. then checked with pump again. nothing! but holds 25". so, I pulled the hose and tested it. the hose holds 25" too. new hose and diaphragm operates smoothly. now it pulls stronger yet when I give extra throttle as an impatient person might do I get a short detonation. yes, i have been missing advance. now I have too much. if only this dist was easier to get to. haha

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I took the chance to look into my f250and why it runs so great empty yet has no guts when pulling a loaded trailer. I looked closely at the carb as it feels lean. went over all and even pulled the top to see float level, jets etc. all checked out well, so I moved on to timing. running check shows base at spec and advance to be topping out at about 20 deg. acting mechanical only. pulled the dist. cap and rotor to check advance motion. wouldn't you know it. stuck! zero response from a vac pump check. plate will not move by hand! tapped it around clockwise, sprayed with freeall, tapped it back, repeated till free as new. then checked with pump again. nothing! but holds 25". so, I pulled the hose and tested it. the hose holds 25" too. new hose and diaphragm operates smoothly. now it pulls stronger yet when I give extra throttle as an impatient person might do I get a short detonation. yes, i have been missing advance. now I have too much. if only this dist was easier to get to. haha

Is your vacuum advance adjustable? If so you can dial it back until the detonation stops.

I continue to be underwhelmed by the towing abilities of my Dodge. The 6.7L Cummins isn't the problem. It's great! And I don't think the trans is either (although it did need a rebuild at ~130K, which used to be good life but now seems on the low side).

But the computer just doesn't seem to be happy when I tow. Yesterday I towed Oswald home from my folk's cabin. All was great on the 2-lane county roads until I got out to US highway 8. That's still a 2-lane, but it's straighter, flatter and has more traffic. It got up to speed easily enough, but then wouldn't upshift from 4th gear (it's a 6 speed). The torque converter clutch didn't seem to be locking either (lots of engine speed change as I was on and off the accelerator without the corresponding vehicle speed change). No check engine light either.

Then after stopping for fuel it would upshift all the way to 6th, but would hunt between 5th and 6th a lot. I could deal with that by manually locking it out of 6th, so that was livable. But this truck sure reminds me of why I hate automatic transmissions!

(next post on the Dodge)

I reported a couple weeks ago about how the Dodge transmission wasn't happy after towing Oswald home. Engine racing when the trans shifts, shuddering during shifts, not locking up the torque converter, not going into 6th or sometimes even 5th, a long delay when shifting out of park or neutral into gear.

That last one especially sounds like low fluid, but I checked and it's even slightly above the "fill" mark. Fluid is pink, but with a dark gray tinge to it (fluid and filter were changed about a year ago).

It didn't turn on the check engine light, but it did set a couple of codes: P1775 and P0736 if I remember correctly. I cleared the codes and they didn't come back, but it still wasn't shifting right. So I took it in to a shop.

The shop I normally use doesn't work on diesel pickups. When I asked about that before they let me talk to one of their mechanics who has a diesel. He recommended another local shop, so I took the Dodge there last fall. I was happy with the work, and not too turned off by the communication, so I checked with them about looking at the trans. They said they could, but...

I dropped it off early Tuesday morning and haven't heard anything yet. I've called a couple times and they hadn't looked at it yet, or were looking and would call when they knew something, or the guy who was looking at it is out, try calling back on Monday morning. :nabble_smiley_angry:

It's not a big deal to not have it right now. I'm driving Pluto and don't need a truck right away. But we're going up to the cabin for the 4th, and I need a truck then. So I think I'm going to get Oswald back on the road this weekend, just in case. He hasn't really been driven for over a year, so I'm going to want to put a few miles on before I count on him for a longer drive. But I think I need the option.

Speaking of options, the Dodge doesn't seem to be the tow vehicle I need it to be. I'm not giving up on it yet because I don't have any good options. But if this kind of thing keeps happening I might not have much of a choice.

So my (bad) options are to either get another newer truck to replace the Dodge, or get another older truck to replace the Oswald project.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like a newer truck, and I've spent too many years gritting my teeth while driving my '08 and '02 Fords, so this is a very unattractive option to me. Plus I'm going to take a bath on the Dodge, and sinking a bunch of cash into another truck that I'm not going to keep any longer than necessary doesn't feel good either.

But if I do I might be pleasantly surprised if I don't hate the truck, which would open up options for the future (both for the truck and for an eventual replacement of the motorhome). And if it was a Ford I could try out the Godzilla engine. But those aren't big enough plusses to make this option very attractive.

The other option is to return Oswald to daily driver status and get another ~'97 F-250 crew cab to restore. There's a lot I like about that option, but I don't think Lesley will love it. And I don't know how much more time I can get out of Oswald, so that puts pressure on getting the project done (which I haven't even started shopping for yet!). Plus if I'm going to go this route I need to decide before I start taking Oswald apart. I had intended to be doing that already this week, but I've been holding off because of the Dodge's status.

So I think I'm stuck with the Dodge. Hopefully it'll get fixed well enough this time that it'll last until I'm done restoring Oswald. But I'm pretty frustrated right now. :nabble_smiley_sad:

I reported a couple weeks ago about how the Dodge transmission wasn't happy after towing Oswald home. Engine racing when the trans shifts, shuddering during shifts, not locking up the torque converter, not going into 6th or sometimes even 5th, a long delay when shifting out of park or neutral into gear.

That last one especially sounds like low fluid, but I checked and it's even slightly above the "fill" mark. Fluid is pink, but with a dark gray tinge to it (fluid and filter were changed about a year ago).

It didn't turn on the check engine light, but it did set a couple of codes: P1775 and P0736 if I remember correctly. I cleared the codes and they didn't come back, but it still wasn't shifting right. So I took it in to a shop.

The shop I normally use doesn't work on diesel pickups. When I asked about that before they let me talk to one of their mechanics who has a diesel. He recommended another local shop, so I took the Dodge there last fall. I was happy with the work, and not too turned off by the communication, so I checked with them about looking at the trans. They said they could, but...

I dropped it off early Tuesday morning and haven't heard anything yet. I've called a couple times and they hadn't looked at it yet, or were looking and would call when they knew something, or the guy who was looking at it is out, try calling back on Monday morning. :nabble_smiley_angry:

It's not a big deal to not have it right now. I'm driving Pluto and don't need a truck right away. But we're going up to the cabin for the 4th, and I need a truck then. So I think I'm going to get Oswald back on the road this weekend, just in case. He hasn't really been driven for over a year, so I'm going to want to put a few miles on before I count on him for a longer drive. But I think I need the option.

Speaking of options, the Dodge doesn't seem to be the tow vehicle I need it to be. I'm not giving up on it yet because I don't have any good options. But if this kind of thing keeps happening I might not have much of a choice.

So my (bad) options are to either get another newer truck to replace the Dodge, or get another older truck to replace the Oswald project.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like a newer truck, and I've spent too many years gritting my teeth while driving my '08 and '02 Fords, so this is a very unattractive option to me. Plus I'm going to take a bath on the Dodge, and sinking a bunch of cash into another truck that I'm not going to keep any longer than necessary doesn't feel good either.

But if I do I might be pleasantly surprised if I don't hate the truck, which would open up options for the future (both for the truck and for an eventual replacement of the motorhome). And if it was a Ford I could try out the Godzilla engine. But those aren't big enough plusses to make this option very attractive.

The other option is to return Oswald to daily driver status and get another ~'97 F-250 crew cab to restore. There's a lot I like about that option, but I don't think Lesley will love it. And I don't know how much more time I can get out of Oswald, so that puts pressure on getting the project done (which I haven't even started shopping for yet!). Plus if I'm going to go this route I need to decide before I start taking Oswald apart. I had intended to be doing that already this week, but I've been holding off because of the Dodge's status.

So I think I'm stuck with the Dodge. Hopefully it'll get fixed well enough this time that it'll last until I'm done restoring Oswald. But I'm pretty frustrated right now. :nabble_smiley_sad:

I can feel your frustration! :nabble_smiley_oh:

This sounds like a real problem. Could the Dodge be sold when you get it back? Before the next thing happens?

As for Oswald, what needs to be done to get him road worthy?

Sorry about that frustration Bob, my life (actually more so my wife's) would be a lot simpler if I can get a new F250 4x4 with the Godzilla … as it is probably the only vehicle I would need for the next 30 years… but I don’t think I’m ready to pull the trigger anytime soon…

Speaking of frustration.. I am waiting on a AAA tow truck to tow my 78’ Bronco back home. I've been driving the heck out of it this week (Over 100 miles locally.. many short trips)... sort of a shakedown this week... all 99F days with the AC running. The brake pedal went to the floor as I pulled into my local Napa to pick up a part. No leaks..... no brake light from air in the line or anything.... just my laziness in not replacing the not-so-old looking master cylinder when I did just about everything on the brake system (new rotors, hubs, soft brake lines, shoes, pads, calipers, wheel cylinders,.... everything except the master cylinder). Just frustrated that I didn’t just replace the master cylinder “while I was at it”.

Sorry about that frustration Bob, my life (actually more so my wife's) would be a lot simpler if I can get a new F250 4x4 with the Godzilla … as it is probably the only vehicle I would need for the next 30 years… but I don’t think I’m ready to pull the trigger anytime soon…

Speaking of frustration.. I am waiting on a AAA tow truck to tow my 78’ Bronco back home. I've been driving the heck out of it this week (Over 100 miles locally.. many short trips)... sort of a shakedown this week... all 99F days with the AC running. The brake pedal went to the floor as I pulled into my local Napa to pick up a part. No leaks..... no brake light from air in the line or anything.... just my laziness in not replacing the not-so-old looking master cylinder when I did just about everything on the brake system (new rotors, hubs, soft brake lines, shoes, pads, calipers, wheel cylinders,.... everything except the master cylinder). Just frustrated that I didn’t just replace the master cylinder “while I was at it”.

Yep, new truck would be nice but I sure wouldn't want to pay the $$$ for one, or deal with trying to work on one or the recalls they all seem to have. Cheaper just to fix up what I have.

What I did today, swapped my new slip yoke on the driveshaft, pulled the old trans cooler lines out of the engine bay, removed the original external transmission cooler as I won't be reusing it. 448469229_519519140400093_3049661302645881529_n.jpg.7da14e74b4694a68f13c2609d7ab1e7d.jpg Hoping to get this void filled back up July 7th, still waiting on a couple transmission parts to arrive.

I can feel your frustration! :nabble_smiley_oh:

This sounds like a real problem. Could the Dodge be sold when you get it back? Before the next thing happens?

As for Oswald, what needs to be done to get him road worthy?

I could sell it, but like I said, that doesn't leave me with great options. I know Dodge transmissions didn't have great reputations, but it's not like I'm taxing it that hard, so it seems like it ought to be able to hold up. We'll see what it takes to fix it this time (4 days at the shop and I still don't know anything). That'll help inform the next steps.

What does Oswald need? I don't know, that's the problem. I haven't been driving him for about 15 months. I know the battery was stone-dead. I put it on a charger so we'll see how well it holds. And the transfer case shift linkage is stuck in 4WD (hubs are unlocked so not a big deal, but something I'd want to address before driving him much). And insurance and gas. So I'll try to start driving him this weekend and see where it goes from there.

(next on the Dodge)

Hey, at least you arrived at the auto parts store just in time! 👍

Hey, at least you arrived at the auto parts store just in time! 👍

You know it couldn't have been a better spot... but... I asked Napa if they had the master cylinder in stock. I know the guy.. he would have totally helped me pump and bleed the brakes. We could have replaced it there I could have been on my way. Unfortunately Napa said it would be morning before the cylinder came. And leaving a 78' Bronco parked there overnight was a bad idea.... it would be broken-into no doubt. I sold my 84 to a colleague that lived in an apartment complex nearby. 2 days after I sold it, it got broken into. Steering column got busted, etc.... and having AAA is exactly for times likes these ;) I also prefer to do it right in my garage.... Bench bleed it first, etc...

It is strange though that I had no indication of the master cylinder going out... is that always typical? The braking hasn't been all that great since the get-go.. I had just assume that was the capability. Maybe that was the master cylinder not working at its best.