Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

How different is yours from this one below ?

These guys also noticed excessive play after tightening the pinion. I didn't watch the whole video but seemed similar on a cursory watch.

First, that's a 10.5 (long pinion) and there's no reason they had to pull the axles all the way out.

You only have to clear the carrier bearings...

My bearings are the exact same number that came out (I made SURE of that)

My R&P are said to be for 85 1/2 - '93, but I didn't check the length of the splines and the old one is LONG GONE.

I will find the lengths and measure. (Boy, am I going to be frosted if I have to buy another $$$ yoke!)

I don't know what people are thinking when they have stupid music blaring on their videos.

It adds nothing, and makes me want to downvote into oblivion.

Maybe it makes this 🤡 feel better about the 1/2 🍑 job he did.

First, that's a 10.5 (long pinion) and there's no reason they had to pull the axles all the way out.

You only have to clear the carrier bearings...

My bearings are the exact same number that came out (I made SURE of that)

My R&P are said to be for 85 1/2 - '93, but I didn't check the length of the splines and the old one is LONG GONE.

I will find the lengths and measure. (Boy, am I going to be frosted if I have to buy another $$$ yoke!)

I don't know what people are thinking when they have stupid music blaring on their videos.

It adds nothing, and makes me want to downvote into oblivion.

Maybe it makes this 🤡 feel better about the 1/2 🍑 job he did.

When I searched for parts for my 9" rear end, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard was a god-send. Those guys sell just about everything a 9" needs for a 1978 Bronco. I found that the 1979 Bronco's 9" rear end was more similar to the Bullnose 9" rear-ends so parts for a 1979 Bronco wouldn't fit even though a 1978/79 are the 'same'.

I just think putting together a rear end can be challenging especially if the old parts are LONG GONE. I can sympathize with that predicament.

When I searched for parts for my 9" rear end, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard was a god-send. Those guys sell just about everything a 9" needs for a 1978 Bronco. I found that the 1979 Bronco's 9" rear end was more similar to the Bullnose 9" rear-ends so parts for a 1979 Bronco wouldn't fit even though a 1978/79 are the 'same'.

I just think putting together a rear end can be challenging especially if the old parts are LONG GONE. I can sympathize with that predicament.

Yeah, Jeff's is great about drop shipping Dana/Spicer parts.

I got a transfer case slip yoke from them when no one else listed it.

If this was a 9" I would have it done, on the bench inside, in an hour.... but it isn't, and I'm getting fed up with delays and cleanliness.

It's been gusting all day.

There's grit everywhere.

The Saran wrap I'm using to keep sand out of the housing has blown off & across the yard multiple times so far..... 😡

Yeah, Jeff's is great about drop shipping Dana/Spicer parts.

I got a transfer case slip yoke from them when no one else listed it.

If this was a 9" I would have it done, on the bench inside, in an hour.... but it isn't, and I'm getting fed up with delays and cleanliness.

It's been gusting all day.

There's grit everywhere.

The Saran wrap I'm using to keep sand out of the housing has blown off & across the yard multiple times so far..... 😡

Now that I've calmed down a bit (though the wind hasn't)

There is debris all over the yard and a huge fire somewhere close by,

I can still smell it and the sirens kept coming for at least an hour!

I need to determine if I need only a longer yoke, or if I need the shallower (later, according to that video) bearing race to make up the correct stack in my case.

In the daylight I'll get an accurate distance between the two seated races, and another measurement from the already pressed bearing behind the pinion gear and the step in the shaft itself.

Then I'll try to get whatever I need to put this pig back on the road.

Hopefully 'all' I need is a $150 1350 u-bolt style long pinion yoke and a new collar.

But it will still be days..... 😖

Now that I've calmed down a bit (though the wind hasn't)

There is debris all over the yard and a huge fire somewhere close by,

I can still smell it and the sirens kept coming for at least an hour!

I need to determine if I need only a longer yoke, or if I need the shallower (later, according to that video) bearing race to make up the correct stack in my case.

In the daylight I'll get an accurate distance between the two seated races, and another measurement from the already pressed bearing behind the pinion gear and the step in the shaft itself.

Then I'll try to get whatever I need to put this pig back on the road.

Hopefully 'all' I need is a $150 1350 u-bolt style long pinion yoke and a new collar.

But it will still be days..... 😖

Ahhh! So you might have the long pinion and have been using "short pinion" parts? That might explain it. Here's hoping that's the issue. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Ahhh! So you might have the long pinion and have been using "short pinion" parts? That might explain it. Here's hoping that's the issue. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Everything SHOULD BE short pinion (85-92) parts.

But I've just seen a yoke on Amazon listed as 85-92 with a D3TE p/n, so obviously not all manufacturers have it right.

Tried to buy everything Dana/Spicer but couldn't find a 4.10 gear set so..... 🤷‍♂️

I'll post a pic of the pinion splines when I get out there...

Everything SHOULD BE short pinion (85-92) parts.

But I've just seen a yoke on Amazon listed as 85-92 with a D3TE p/n, so obviously not all manufacturers have it right.

Tried to buy everything Dana/Spicer but couldn't find a 4.10 gear set so..... 🤷‍♂️

I'll post a pic of the pinion splines when I get out there...

I have been doubting my Bronco's speedometer accuracy because I have been unable to go faster than about 65mph without really "feeling it". I don't want to push it harder with its 3.5 gearing. I used a speedometer app this evening and the speedometer is dead accurate... I guess these Broncos are not much of a highway animal. Big Blue 2WD on the other hand easily does 85mph without issues with the 3.06 gears.... it makes sense that the gearing is probably more important than anything else... OD would be nice though.

I have been doubting my Bronco's speedometer accuracy because I have been unable to go faster than about 65mph without really "feeling it". I don't want to push it harder with its 3.5 gearing. I used a speedometer app this evening and the speedometer is dead accurate... I guess these Broncos are not much of a highway animal. Big Blue 2WD on the other hand easily does 85mph without issues with the 3.06 gears.... it makes sense that the gearing is probably more important than anything else... OD would be nice though.

Got most of the wiper motor pulled out tonight just to see how much went I to the swap and if the replacement is actually correct. Three bolts off and I can see the arms it attaches too. Looks like either slip a ratchet wrench in there or take the cowling off.

Crawled under the truck to take a look for the pumpkin ID plate and found quite a bit more wire mess to include what appears to be some red Romex running from the back end. I was able to pull it back to the engine bay where it disappears I to the fire wall.

20240626_223857.jpg.e6adbb1a0b7015abf4a04b6cceae1635.jpg

There appears to be a lot of low strand count THHN home improvement store wiring added in as well. TBH as an electrical guy this just makes it fun for me. I get to ring it all out and build new wire harnesses. That's my bread and butter.

20240626_224047.jpg.56a01c55ef691c5f720e2a515edb286d.jpg

I think this engine may have had a vacuum or computer controlled choke at some point and somewhere down the road that was replaced with a manual cable. Pretty sure that's what this is.

20240626_223948.jpg.07b8a5a371296c410e3b4f9e8dea27a4.jpg

20240626_223954.jpg.7a936969abec52595904f719468fc7c6.jpg

Got most of the wiper motor pulled out tonight just to see how much went I to the swap and if the replacement is actually correct. Three bolts off and I can see the arms it attaches too. Looks like either slip a ratchet wrench in there or take the cowling off.

Crawled under the truck to take a look for the pumpkin ID plate and found quite a bit more wire mess to include what appears to be some red Romex running from the back end. I was able to pull it back to the engine bay where it disappears I to the fire wall.

There appears to be a lot of low strand count THHN home improvement store wiring added in as well. TBH as an electrical guy this just makes it fun for me. I get to ring it all out and build new wire harnesses. That's my bread and butter.

I think this engine may have had a vacuum or computer controlled choke at some point and somewhere down the road that was replaced with a manual cable. Pretty sure that's what this is.

Fuel delivery system seems pretty rough but functional for at least the forward tank. This is probably a good place to start on that issue before anything else.

I can bend tube I just need to figure out what size should be run to these tanks.

20240626_223135.jpg.b3bbf149dba7d5e346aec55f2ab1b400.jpg

So we have a brass Tee here and a 1/4 turn brass valve, then the fuel filter.(Above)

Then this red guy I thought may be a pump. I didn't get a good look at it. Lots of loose wiring here and lots of cut and or spliced wiring.

20240626_223420.jpg.1aae7a367163f90539e84d00f0790c31.jpg

20240626_223141.jpg.8cd94fbd491f0c232f3ca54f6545b949.jpg