Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I pulled the engine in 2017 and replaced the freeze plugs, guarantee you they're not leaking. Pretty sure it burning it.

I bet you're glad aluminum Windsor heads don't crack from spark plug to exhaust port like iron 460 heads do (every time!)

Seems like you have a good handle on it, though.

What are you thinking for replacement? Trick Flow, AFR?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bet you're glad aluminum Windsor heads don't crack from spark plug to exhaust port like iron 460 heads do (every time!)

Seems like you have a good handle on it, though.

What are you thinking for replacement? Trick Flow, AFR?

I bought the Flotek 203-505FT and I'm not going to block off the exhaust crossover on these since these heads have it. The Edelbrock heads I have don't have any exhaust crossover and I have missed it driving it in cooler weather. Never noticed much diff in the summer blocked vs unblocked but man it sure needs it in the cooler months.

I bought the Flotek 203-505FT and I'm not going to block off the exhaust crossover on these since these heads have it. The Edelbrock heads I have don't have any exhaust crossover and I have missed it driving it in cooler weather. Never noticed much diff in the summer blocked vs unblocked but man it sure needs it in the cooler months.

I agree with you there!

Heated plenum floor makes a huge difference in warm-up time when it's cold out (especially with today's fuel)

My baby brother's new take-home unmarked awd PI Taurus is flex fuel.

With a tune, it's an absolute monster on E85, but I wouldn't want to try to get that stuff to atomize from a carb in winter with a cold aluminum intake. 🥶

I agree with you there!

Heated plenum floor makes a huge difference in warm-up time when it's cold out (especially with today's fuel)

My baby brother's new take-home unmarked awd PI Taurus is flex fuel.

With a tune, it's an absolute monster on E85, but I wouldn't want to try to get that stuff to atomize from a carb in winter with a cold aluminum intake. 🥶

Knowing what I know now, if the guy I bought this truck from didn't give me the intake I have on the truck I would have just kept the stock cast iron 4 barrel intake. I kept the stock cast iron 4 barrel intake on my 390 in my galaxie and it definitely is better driving in the cold weather than both the truck and my dads galaxie with aluminum heads and intake. The older I get and the more I do this stuff, the less of a fan I am of certain aluminum components.

Knowing what I know now, if the guy I bought this truck from didn't give me the intake I have on the truck I would have just kept the stock cast iron 4 barrel intake. I kept the stock cast iron 4 barrel intake on my 390 in my galaxie and it definitely is better driving in the cold weather than both the truck and my dads galaxie with aluminum heads and intake. The older I get and the more I do this stuff, the less of a fan I am of certain aluminum components.

I have just a regular Performer, no raised ports or air gap.

My choke works well and the passage is open. (if a bit restricted)

While I have a lot of respect for the engineering that went into the factory intake I'm glad I've shed more than a few pounds and don't have a bunch of rust on top of my engine.

Certainly understand your point, though.👍

I have just a regular Performer, no raised ports or air gap.

My choke works well and the passage is open. (if a bit restricted)

While I have a lot of respect for the engineering that went into the factory intake I'm glad I've shed more than a few pounds and don't have a bunch of rust on top of my engine.

Certainly understand your point, though.👍

that cast iron 460 intake is a beast. I can see a great weight savings on that one. the 351w is a good one also. I'm still a fan of cast iron heads though. not that I don't like aluminum just that iron has worked so well for so long, and not everyone needs or uses the benefits of their aluminum heads.

that cast iron 460 intake is a beast. I can see a great weight savings on that one. the 351w is a good one also. I'm still a fan of cast iron heads though. not that I don't like aluminum just that iron has worked so well for so long, and not everyone needs or uses the benefits of their aluminum heads.

I’m glad I went with the stock intake on my recent build even though the stock 460 intake weighed 55 lbs vs 18lb for the aluminum.

With aluminum heads and aluminum intake being of different thermal expansion vs the iron block, the gaskets for the heads and intake are definitely doing “Yeoman’s work” as Jim says

:nabble_smiley_beam:

Aluminum’s thermal expansion is more than twice of iron

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amp/linear-expansion-coefficients-d_95.html

I’m glad I went with the stock intake on my recent build even though the stock 460 intake weighed 55 lbs vs 18lb for the aluminum.

With aluminum heads and aluminum intake being of different thermal expansion vs the iron block, the gaskets for the heads and intake are definitely doing “Yeoman’s work” as Jim says

You have the same issue with iron heads and an aluminum intake.

Surface finish and a good gasket are key.

If you really are pushing for power & compression (like a big stroker) then Cometic have head gaskets that will definitely seal.

Once you go to EFI the factory intake is aluminum. As Jim says, good gaskets and I will add, proper torque and sequence.

Once you go to EFI the factory intake is aluminum. As Jim says, good gaskets and I will add, proper torque and sequence.

One thing I noticed was with cast iron heads and intake, the bolts only require 1 maybe 2 re torques and they never seem to budge ever again. I've had to re torque the intake and exhaust 5-6 times with aluminum. If you guys think the 460 intake is heavy, try fitting this one http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif

138617975_1131009960667552_5741106804616665864_n.jpg.92e0041f085eaf53eb1a33e2c2257978.jpg