Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

so, I finally got my transmission finished in my 86 sb. it has taken way too much time with all if the distractions but mostly having to clean out the vb repeatedly. debris small enough to go through a filter is big enough to make sticky valves. fingers crossed that I am through with the flushing. I normally use an inline magnetic filter on rebuilds but my supplier in charlotte has none. either I put on a used one or wait for the next batch. so, it's out and the f250 is in. I started the c6 rebuild. no fails so that's good. a slightly toasted band and a couple of toasted clutch frictions yet no whole clutches. the real issue that I found is hardened seals on the pistons. brittle even. taking the case to get cleaned tomorrow as I just cannot put one together dirty. still, I did not find any sure cause for slipping. loss of forward and blown pump seal. radiator is full of coolant and never read warm at all. I was pulling a trailer with a parts truck on it. old fluid may have just been the biggest issue to get this started.

Looks like a lot accomplished! I bet you have clean hands now. I find that the transmission fluid has a cleaning effect, as opposed to gear lube/engine oil. Old Grease is the worst offender. I don't mind transmission fluid at all!

Looks like a lot accomplished! I bet you have clean hands now. I find that the transmission fluid has a cleaning effect, as opposed to gear lube/engine oil. Old Grease is the worst offender. I don't mind transmission fluid at all!

well, this is a very strange hobby for a man who does not like being dirty. I don't mind getting greasy, but I wash regularly all day. trans fluid just has a way of continuously running down your arms and dripping everywhere. and a spill can just ruin my day. but yes, I'm pretty clean. generally, I like to drain TC before removal and that avoids one of the most likely spills, and if the unit has had issues flushing is good anyway.

well, this is a very strange hobby for a man who does not like being dirty. I don't mind getting greasy, but I wash regularly all day. trans fluid just has a way of continuously running down your arms and dripping everywhere. and a spill can just ruin my day. but yes, I'm pretty clean. generally, I like to drain TC before removal and that avoids one of the most likely spills, and if the unit has had issues flushing is good anyway.

"Bonded Bronco" was sold today. 'Steve' bought it from me. He has an 82 Bronco under restoration, but this 85 Bronco with the 4 speed was something he really wanted (as it was the year of his birth and manual V8 Broncos are hard to come by)

Steve is the one that wound up with my Blue seats and console that Gary didn't want :nabble_smiley_evil: Anyway during that seat pick-up meet he saw "Bonded Bronco" and wanted it. (I kind of wish I kept those seats and done a high-back conversion on my 78 Bronco.)

Now I have room in my backyard to hopeful begin the AC conversion on Big Blue 2WD one day.

I am hopeful Steve would join this forum someday and update us on "Bonded Broncos" restoration. He will likely not do much until the Bonded title clears in another 2 years.

"Bonded Bronco" was sold today. 'Steve' bought it from me. He has an 82 Bronco under restoration, but this 85 Bronco with the 4 speed was something he really wanted (as it was the year of his birth and manual V8 Broncos are hard to come by)

Steve is the one that wound up with my Blue seats and console that Gary didn't want :nabble_smiley_evil: Anyway during that seat pick-up meet he saw "Bonded Bronco" and wanted it. (I kind of wish I kept those seats and done a high-back conversion on my 78 Bronco.)

Now I have room in my backyard to hopeful begin the AC conversion on Big Blue 2WD one day.

I am hopeful Steve would join this forum someday and update us on "Bonded Broncos" restoration. He will likely not do much until the Bonded title clears in another 2 years.

That's exciting!

You know where it's going.

We'd all be excited if he joined.

2 years to clear title?

That's insane.

That's exciting!

You know where it's going.

We'd all be excited if he joined.

2 years to clear title?

That's insane.

Is the Bond period shorter in your state ?

For those who don't know what a Bonded title is (I'm sure many states have this, but some don't, and the procedure is very similar)

For vehicle purchases with missing or lost title, the state of Texas issues a 3 year Bonded title, during which time the person getting the bonded title is guaranteeing the title with a bond that is purchased from a bond issuer. The bond amount is typically 1.5x the presumptive value of the vehicle. This can get very expensive for newer vehicles but for classics it is not all that bad. If the previous owner (who in this case has abandoned this Bronco for several years) comes forward and claims ownership, I am liable for compensation to him up to the value of the bond. After the 3 year period, the Bond clears and it becomes a regular title.

In this particular case I actually tracked the guy down and he wanted $$$ to provide me a clear title and a bill of sale, and I wanted him to guarantee that there were no liens or mechanic/storage dues on the vehicle on the bill of sale.. I knew for a fact that he had storage fees due from the mechanic that stored this Bronco for 2 years and then sold it to me. That was the last I heard from him. He didn't answer my calls anymore.

Is the Bond period shorter in your state ?

For those who don't know what a Bonded title is (I'm sure many states have this, but some don't, and the procedure is very similar)

For vehicle purchases with missing or lost title, the state of Texas issues a 3 year Bonded title, during which time the person getting the bonded title is guaranteeing the title with a bond that is purchased from a bond issuer. The bond amount is typically 1.5x the presumptive value of the vehicle. This can get very expensive for newer vehicles but for classics it is not all that bad. If the previous owner (who in this case has abandoned this Bronco for several years) comes forward and claims ownership, I am liable for compensation to him up to the value of the bond. After the 3 year period, the Bond clears and it becomes a regular title.

In this particular case I actually tracked the guy down and he wanted $$$ to provide me a clear title and a bill of sale, and I wanted him to guarantee that there were no liens or mechanic/storage dues on the vehicle on the bill of sale.. I knew for a fact that he had storage fees due from the mechanic that stored this Bronco for 2 years and then sold it to me. That was the last I heard from him. He didn't answer my calls anymore.

We don't need any titie for a vehicle over 20 (from the date of manufacture)

If I tow a newer car and it sits for 90 days they just put a mechanics lien on it

Apply for title and it can be sold or scrapped.

I got a really nice set of factory aluminum wheels and tires for my little brother's rusty Civic.

That one was old enough, -2003- that no title was needed to dispose.

Or you can always cut it in half.

Then it's not a car anymore, just parts or scrap (auto)

We don't need any titie for a vehicle over 20 (from the date of manufacture)

If I tow a newer car and it sits for 90 days they just put a mechanics lien on it

Apply for title and it can be sold or scrapped.

I got a really nice set of factory aluminum wheels and tires for my little brother's rusty Civic.

That one was old enough, -2003- that no title was needed to dispose.

Or you can always cut it in half.

Then it's not a car anymore, just parts or scrap (auto)

Your laws are very relaxed!!

Your laws are very relaxed!!

Well I think the 460 in the Bronco is finally pinging part throttle as it is hot enough outside... ?? It is hard to say, almost sounds like the engine is twice as loud!! Time to properly hook up EGR, including VDV. Why is the vacuum delay valve needed anyway?

Big Blue 2WD doesn't have EGR hooked up, but doesn't ping either maybe because compression isn't all that great as I recently established :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Well I think the 460 in the Bronco is finally pinging part throttle as it is hot enough outside... ?? It is hard to say, almost sounds like the engine is twice as loud!! Time to properly hook up EGR, including VDV. Why is the vacuum delay valve needed anyway?

Big Blue 2WD doesn't have EGR hooked up, but doesn't ping either maybe because compression isn't all that great as I recently established :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

The EGR (green line) takes timed vacuum through the thermal switch in the water neck and then has a delay.

You don't want it at idle.

You don't want it with a cold engine.

You don't want it as you're transitioning past the bleeds under acceleration.

But you do want it under cruise and light acceleration.

The EGR (green line) takes timed vacuum through the thermal switch in the water neck and then has a delay.

You don't want it at idle.

You don't want it with a cold engine.

You don't want it as you're transitioning past the bleeds under acceleration.

But you do want it under cruise and light acceleration.

You don't want it at idle. ----> Check. Vacuum source will be ported vacuum on the Edelbrock.

You don't want it with a cold engine. ----> Check. I have a functioning VCV on my thermostat.

You don't want it as you're transitioning past the bleeds under acceleration. ----> Purpose of the VDV ?