Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

and the bearing is pressed into place on the axle then a locking ring is pressed against the bearing. any end play that you may detect should be minimal and within the bearing itself. early bearings are non tapered rollers where the later are captured taper rollers. when removing and then reinstalling these be sure to replace the metal gaskets and clean their sealing surfaces too. the used ones might do fine but when are you going to find out otherwise? after the oils in, and then there is the Saturday spent doing it again.

And an example of the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon, in

from Matt's Off-Road Recovery he is working on the Ford 9" in "The Bombi". He put it together wrong before and is now fixing it.

from Matt's Off-Road Recovery he is working on the Ford 9" in "The Bombi". He put it together wrong before and is now fixing it.

Getting closer to paint...

The previous owner decided to paint the truck in a interpretation of desert camo. Which would be fine, though he used what I believe is house paint and used a brush and roller to do it.

Lots of sanding to get through it and the old paint. Remember, I know practically nothing about body work, so judge softly.

A few spots that I'll need to add some bondo to smooth things out, more sanding and then finally to prep and primer.

I don't expect this to come out great, but need to get it looking better than it was until I can find a body shop in a few years to work their magic. I have confidence though that I am doing enough of the right things with patience that it will turn out fairly decent.

The grey primer you see is from me sanding the house paint off last year and not wanting to leave it unprotected to the moisture here in Michigan.

20240428_120306.jpg.fd8d7665f7d6fa4711c7ad4e0a5c26f9.jpg

20240428_120255.jpg.01553d8a03038b95216361bb4a0fe818.jpg

Thanks all for the inputs and the other thread. Lot of reading and watching to do. The full floaters make intuitive sense to me... but this spacer/retainer deal.. not so much.. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Thanks all for the inputs and the other thread. Lot of reading and watching to do. The full floaters make intuitive sense to me... but this spacer/retainer deal.. not so much.. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Ordered a 351W long block this morning, and the TCI C6 low drag/full roller kit. The long block was only a few hundred more than the short block options since it was free shipping and most of the short blocks are $350-475 freight. For $495 I think I'll just keep my existing core since they're apparently hard to find and it should be good for another rebuild. I plan on putting my Edelbrock E street heads on this long block, my 255DEH cam in it with my OEM Ford lifters and let er rip. I figure I can sell the heads on the reman long block for a few hundred and recoup some money. Some progress is being made, anyways.

Ordered a 351W long block this morning, and the TCI C6 low drag/full roller kit. The long block was only a few hundred more than the short block options since it was free shipping and most of the short blocks are $350-475 freight. For $495 I think I'll just keep my existing core since they're apparently hard to find and it should be good for another rebuild. I plan on putting my Edelbrock E street heads on this long block, my 255DEH cam in it with my OEM Ford lifters and let er rip. I figure I can sell the heads on the reman long block for a few hundred and recoup some money. Some progress is being made, anyways.

I like a good project as much as the next guy but when I peeked inside that Dana 44 housing tube, I was wondering what kind of animal the previous owner was http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif

How do I get rid of all that dried mud ? I have never seen so much sitting at the bottom. Vaccum??

B37413CD-5845-4930-8A2D-F1F5E68D641C.jpeg.e03f969c82dcae75cb9c3e0239a096d7.jpeg

I like a good project as much as the next guy but when I peeked inside that Dana 44 housing tube, I was wondering what kind of animal the previous owner was :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

How do I get rid of all that dried mud ? I have never seen so much sitting at the bottom. Vaccum??

was it run without axles?

was it run without axles?

Not as far as I know. The truck is very original... but the previous owner was a 'kid' who owned it for a couple of years and went mudding pretty deep a few times (so bad it decommissioned the engine).

Getting closer to paint...

The previous owner decided to paint the truck in a interpretation of desert camo. Which would be fine, though he used what I believe is house paint and used a brush and roller to do it.

Lots of sanding to get through it and the old paint. Remember, I know practically nothing about body work, so judge softly.

A few spots that I'll need to add some bondo to smooth things out, more sanding and then finally to prep and primer.

I don't expect this to come out great, but need to get it looking better than it was until I can find a body shop in a few years to work their magic. I have confidence though that I am doing enough of the right things with patience that it will turn out fairly decent.

The grey primer you see is from me sanding the house paint off last year and not wanting to leave it unprotected to the moisture here in Michigan.

Acetone will wipe acrylic house paint off like rinsing mud off with water.

It's available anywhere because it isn't considered a VOC.

For something less harsh KrudKutter makes a latex paint removal product, I think the blue label... which will dissolve dried house paint.

You need to keep it wet, so you can cover it with Saran wrap, and it will stay most of the day.

Then use a hose and plastic scour pad to rinse the sludge off. 💡

You can't hurt the factory paint with this method.

Krud Kutter 336249 Latex Paint Remover, 24 Fl Oz https://a.co/d/isx61EB

Screenshot_2024-04-29-06-15-39-239.thumb.jpeg.33ad9ef549e90c6253d0a2e2daea5f3b.jpeg

I like a good project as much as the next guy but when I peeked inside that Dana 44 housing tube, I was wondering what kind of animal the previous owner was :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I don't know what's worse, the dried mud in the axle tubes or 1/4" of sludge in axle tubes to clean out. I found using an engine cylinder bristle cleaning brush chucked up in the drill worked pretty well for the sludged up axle tubes.

I don't know what's worse, the dried mud in the axle tubes or 1/4" of sludge in axle tubes to clean out. I found using an engine cylinder bristle cleaning brush chucked up in the drill worked pretty well for the sludged up axle tubes.

I usually have stuff like that hot tanked, but there aren't any machine shops anymore....