Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I verified that constant power is being supplied to the keep-alive circuit to the Sony and then spent quite a while with their tech support getting instructions on how to re-boot the system in order to get the Bluetooth to work correctly. And after each re-boot I was to ensure that Auto Pairing was turned off and then manually pair my iPhone and test.

I did all of that but the Sony would auto-pair with my phone each time whether Auto Pairing was on or off. But it seemed to work fine and wasn't forgetting my phone - until I turned the Garmin Montana on. The Sony auto paired with it and the problems started with the phone. I rebooted and let the Sony auto pair with the phone and it worked fine. But when I turned the Montana on again the Sony auto-paired with it and the Sony started forgetting the phone. And I did that with Auto Pairing on as well as off.

Called Sony back and they said the unit is bad and since I entered it into their system in November of 2021 I was within the 3 year warranty and they'd replace it if I sent them a copy of the purchase receipt. Unfortunately the receipt shows it was purchased 3 years and 2 months ago, so they won't do anything for me.

As it turns out I purchased the unit from CarID for $159 instead of the normal $248. So I wonder if it was a return, maybe because of the Bluetooth problem? Anyway, this time I talked with Crutchfield and they said that if I order a new one from them and have the same problem they'll take it back. So it is on order and will be here Wednesday. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Got the new Sony DSX-GS80 installed today and it doesn't auto-pair Bluetooth devices. And, it doesn't forget my phone, even when the Garmin is turned on. :nabble_smiley_good:

And I got the Crutchfield bass blockers installed on the rear channels, the little 4" speakers up by our ears. The bass blockers are capacitors that act at high-pass filters, rolling off at a 6dB rate below 300 hertz. That's because these speakers cannot reproduce those frequencies so taking them out of their feed will clear up their response.

And the system sounds good - at least sitting still with the engine off. :nabble_smiley_evil:

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got the new Sony DSX-GS80 installed today and it doesn't auto-pair Bluetooth devices. And, it doesn't forget my phone, even when the Garmin is turned on. :nabble_smiley_good:

And I got the Crutchfield bass blockers installed on the rear channels, the little 4" speakers up by our ears. The bass blockers are capacitors that act at high-pass filters, rolling off at a 6dB rate below 300 hertz. That's because these speakers cannot reproduce those frequencies so taking them out of their feed will clear up their response.

And the system sounds good - at least sitting still with the engine off. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Kudos to Crutchfield.

Sorry to hear that you were having this problem with the head unit.

Mine has been trouble free, but i don't think it was a refurb.

Now if I could only drive it at max for more than 5 minutes. (No more headphones emoji!?!?!)

Gary, now you know why Crutchfield is my go io source for audio gear. They are good!

Gary, now you know why Crutchfield is my go io source for audio gear. They are good!

I haven't looked at crutchfield in a long time. After reading this...I certainly will the next time I need something. It is too hard to find good service today.

While not the bullnose, I did finally get around to doing the brake job on the admirals car (Ford Edge) and got to use my rotating caliper press for the 2nd time....it will be paid off on the next job 😀

20240425_170007.jpg.0ace3eddaa7d76af9e18d42bfa8ca502.jpg

And when I took the picture (luckily the first one)...I realized I forgot to scuff off the rust protection coating. So off it came.

I haven't looked at crutchfield in a long time. After reading this...I certainly will the next time I need something. It is too hard to find good service today.

While not the bullnose, I did finally get around to doing the brake job on the admirals car (Ford Edge) and got to use my rotating caliper press for the 2nd time....it will be paid off on the next job 😀

And when I took the picture (luckily the first one)...I realized I forgot to scuff off the rust protection coating. So off it came.

Which brake caliper rotating press do you have? I did rear brakes on a Chrysler T&C van last year and used needle nose pliers to turn the pistons in, it was quite the pain, but I got it done.

Which brake caliper rotating press do you have? I did rear brakes on a Chrysler T&C van last year and used needle nose pliers to turn the pistons in, it was quite the pain, but I got it done.

It's just a cheap set from one of the part stores. I tried some needle nose vice grips first but couldn't turn and press hard enough to get them to go in.

It's just a cheap set from one of the part stores. I tried some needle nose vice grips first but couldn't turn and press hard enough to get them to go in.

mixed results today. my trucks aod swap last fall did well yet a couple weeks ago it acted up. so, I pulled it this week to do a full evaluation of the trans. it worked when I did the swap, so I had not done a full reman at the time. first discovery was a failed bearing then the second, a cooked direct clutch. which led me to what else but the tv cable. carb end was off. I did not look for that first so it may have come off during trans removal. anyway, I chose this time for upgrades as well. all completed I reinstalled it and worked late and dialed tv cable pressures in before test drive. success. yet here is where I screwed up. my D.A. did not tighten the u joint straps! yup. threw the drive shaft in 100 yards of home. made a hell of a racket. then called for a tow.

I'm realizing that I'm pushing myself as much as I did before I retired. I did not need it immediately, yet I think the kid in me wanted the win too much. or the producer in me wanted more production. either way I screwed up. it feels awkward to tell on myself yet cathartic at the same time. even bad experience is educating even if it makes you doubt yourself a bit.

mixed results today. my trucks aod swap last fall did well yet a couple weeks ago it acted up. so, I pulled it this week to do a full evaluation of the trans. it worked when I did the swap, so I had not done a full reman at the time. first discovery was a failed bearing then the second, a cooked direct clutch. which led me to what else but the tv cable. carb end was off. I did not look for that first so it may have come off during trans removal. anyway, I chose this time for upgrades as well. all completed I reinstalled it and worked late and dialed tv cable pressures in before test drive. success. yet here is where I screwed up. my D.A. did not tighten the u joint straps! yup. threw the drive shaft in 100 yards of home. made a hell of a racket. then called for a tow.

I'm realizing that I'm pushing myself as much as I did before I retired. I did not need it immediately, yet I think the kid in me wanted the win too much. or the producer in me wanted more production. either way I screwed up. it feels awkward to tell on myself yet cathartic at the same time. even bad experience is educating even if it makes you doubt yourself a bit.

Same thing cost me a rebuild, this is the end that I used, had to enlarge the hole where the cable end goes through, also the cable track, snapped in place and looks/feels like it's supposed to. Got mine @ Advance auto parts About $8.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186035566823?epid=1711213765&itmmeta=01HWFYSVFW260REDPY88WMT44Q&hash=item2b509578e7:g:6eEAAOSwdtJk2tav&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8FL4P13nWM2Lj3Wlo0MIBH4H5O7hSYc0cQ%2BicCE7%2BOE5BqN15Woku%2Fec2RRYqSmT%2B0escVEjpQUbQG%2B6mQa1h4awf5BpB3xDb1mPgiURgOdVSSa5UFkHlfwbHas6F6FM4vYU5cxeEhp2zePDmyaOLq6gIZMx7J3FeiBZyJu6Cc%2FwamYn3vX43qohl7CkN3QBkR%2B3coRQDP2A3DFjVZdZannwZoHJaZFVvTxlqSzv73wzazMeGdZmwwruN9aPbtyiLsyUir1DkjRrsmOpbmdD1rolTg41pQPxzGser9ccaSXQLJHhcAbb%2FMFJs9tnTuN4vA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5K45_7jYw

So there I was....realizing that body shop skills have an overlap with present wrapping skills.

That clearly skips a generation 🤣🤣

Getting ready to do some sanding and keeping the interior from getting covered.

20240427_110000.jpg.2ba3dbfd4ecb831505b463e066b76b34.jpg

So there I was....realizing that body shop skills have an overlap with present wrapping skills.

That clearly skips a generation 🤣🤣

Getting ready to do some sanding and keeping the interior from getting covered.

I found out spreading and sanding body filler also directly crosses over to filling and sanding drywall :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I contacted Carolina machine engines about a 351W short block on ebay and messaged back and forth several times but can't seem to get ahold of them directly. They have a performance shortblock for $1700 plus tax and shipping but man they're kinda hard to get ahold of.

I also decided when I do the engine, I'm going to do the trans at the same time since it's almost 40 years old and has 253,000 miles on it. I ordered up a master rebuild kit, bushing kit, low sprag upgrade and I'll order the low drag/full roller kit sometime soon. For years when the engine is warm if I go from drive to reverse I'll get this loud metallic clank I always thought was the rear axle but the other day I took off out of the driveway with the window down and radio off and I heard the same noise shifting from 1-2. I don't think that's the rear axle :nabble_smiley_teeth: sounds like the sun shell banging against the lugs on the reverse high drum like they're worn or something. Kinda odd it never makes the noise when cold even on high idle. It'll be interesting to see what I find there. It's way more than done its time for sure.