Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Maybe the correct term would be a high pain threshold.

I got the injection, actually two, one for each side and so far it seems to be helping.

That's great news Bill! :nabble_anim_jump:

I hope it brings you enough relief that you're able to get out to the shop and putter around, as you'd like. :nabble_smiley_super:

Good news!

:nabble_anim_claps:

I've decided to slowly start accumulating parts for a new engine. Still don't have a lead on a 351W block used or reman yet but I figured I'll start accumulating parts I need anyways. Last week I bought a set of Crower cam saver hyd flat tappet lifters that were on sale. Welp, those would have been cam eater lifters, so I sent them back. None were ground correctly and the first one I took out of the box had a huge deep circular scratch in it you could feel. I wound up with a set of Ford D9HZ-6500-A set of 8 and F1DA-6500-A set of 8, both interchange to the same lifter. The first set has a date of March 1986 on the Ford box, the newer set also in a Ford box, 2005. Surprise, these were ground correctly and both sets came to the same price as those Crower cam eaters. Has anyone here run the Melling MTF-5, Edelbrock performer plus 2182, Summit SUM4400 or Elgin E-959P in an SBF? Not real sure what I want to run for a cam, those 4 are all the same grind and has specs about what I want, a bit more of a spread between seat to seat and .050" specs than I care for, but it should do what I want. I've had enough of the comp xtreme energy loud valvetrain and don't want another one of those no matter how good it runs.

I've decided to slowly start accumulating parts for a new engine. Still don't have a lead on a 351W block used or reman yet but I figured I'll start accumulating parts I need anyways. Last week I bought a set of Crower cam saver hyd flat tappet lifters that were on sale. Welp, those would have been cam eater lifters, so I sent them back. None were ground correctly and the first one I took out of the box had a huge deep circular scratch in it you could feel. I wound up with a set of Ford D9HZ-6500-A set of 8 and F1DA-6500-A set of 8, both interchange to the same lifter. The first set has a date of March 1986 on the Ford box, the newer set also in a Ford box, 2005. Surprise, these were ground correctly and both sets came to the same price as those Crower cam eaters. Has anyone here run the Melling MTF-5, Edelbrock performer plus 2182, Summit SUM4400 or Elgin E-959P in an SBF? Not real sure what I want to run for a cam, those 4 are all the same grind and has specs about what I want, a bit more of a spread between seat to seat and .050" specs than I care for, but it should do what I want. I've had enough of the comp xtreme energy loud valvetrain and don't want another one of those no matter how good it runs.

Please start a thread that we can all follow. :nabble_smiley_cool:

I used to be into 302s when I bought my '85 GT but a lot has happened in fourth years, and I'd like to understand more about where Windsors are today!

Please start a thread that we can all follow. :nabble_smiley_cool:

I used to be into 302s when I bought my '85 GT but a lot has happened in fourth years, and I'd like to understand more about where Windsors are today!

I may have lucked out again. I was browsing cams and Amazon had 2 of the 255 DEH comp cams leftover for $146. I bought one. Really similar to what I have now but not quite as fast on the ramp rates so it should be quieter under the hood. Comp quit offering the dual energy line a couple years ago for some reason, must not have been enough people buying them.

I may have lucked out again. I was browsing cams and Amazon had 2 of the 255 DEH comp cams leftover for $146. I bought one. Really similar to what I have now but not quite as fast on the ramp rates so it should be quieter under the hood. Comp quit offering the dual energy line a couple years ago for some reason, must not have been enough people buying them.

we put that cam in a 351w and put it in an 82 f100. it runs so well that I used it again. I wrapped up another 351w last week. but it has one of the knock off aluminum intakes

we put that cam in a 351w and put it in an 82 f100. it runs so well that I used it again. I wrapped up another 351w last week. but it has one of the knock off aluminum intakes

Valvetrain quiet under the hood with that cam? I'm assuming you mean the 255 DEH?

Looking good. What is your recipe for the paint job ? Primer, paint and 2k clear coat or are you using sealer, etc ?

Understand that I know next to nothing about auto body work...so do not think my answers have any weight to them. Happy for input. 😀

I have ordered primer, paint and clear.

I plan to sand everything down to original primer or steel, clean, tack and then prime. I will then sand the primer to ensure a smooth good surface. After that, I will do a few coats of the paint and then clear.

Again, I've never done this before but have read up on it. It will certainly be an education.

Being I don't know anything about paint, I went with what seemed like a idiot proof Duplicolor pre-thinned paint color. Just trying to limit the amount of things I need to try and figure out.

That sounds like a good plan..

Paint Society is a good YouTube channel to learn from.

For the paint, usually I like to match the OEM color as it reduces overall effort.. I take a piece of the truck like gas cap and go to my local paint supplier. They do a great job matching colors. They have ridiculous deals sometimes, like a quart for $20. Usually 2-3 quarts (makes 4-6 quarts when reduced 1:1) is enough to paint the entire truck/car.

I have painted before many times but I am still learning from mistakes.

Valvetrain quiet under the hood with that cam? I'm assuming you mean the 255 DEH?

sorry no. the Melling mtf-5 is what we have used. I also used the mtf-1 in a 302 and I just installed an mtf-6 in a 4.9.

sorry no. the Melling mtf-5 is what we have used. I also used the mtf-1 in a 302 and I just installed an mtf-6 in a 4.9.

That's good to hear those cams run well. The 255DEH is similar to the MTF5, a little faster ramp rate and cut on a 110 LSA instead of 112 but pretty much the same lift and duration @.050". Should run well with the heads, intake and exhaust I already have.