Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Busy day today, so I spent a couple hours this morning continuing the prep for painting. I am starting to grow a deep dislike of sanding 😀 but a respect for what goes into painting a truck.

Fenders are scuffed and ready for cleaning and the old paint off of the hood top. Time to call it quits for other life.

Looking good. What is your recipe for the paint job ? Primer, paint and 2k clear coat or are you using sealer, etc ?

When I was about 10 I got a go-kart with a 1 hp engine. It was a lot of fun, but even as a 10 year old I could out run it! A couple years later I was looking at the 2 1/2 hp engine on my dad's lawn mower. It was horizontal shaft and looked to have the same size crankshaft as my 1 hp, so I took the 2 1/2 off the lawn mower and put it on my go-kart. That was a lot better!

My dad came home from work and was pretty cool with it, but did say I still needed to mow the lawn. So every week I moved the engine back to the mower to do the lawn, and then back to my go-kart. I think that went on for about 2 years until my dad somehow got another engine for the mower!

Bob, that's a classic story.

Your dad is EPIC!!!

I hope and trust that Lesley is doing well, on the mend. ❤️

Bob, that's a classic story.

Your dad is EPIC!!!

I hope and trust that Lesley is doing well, on the mend. ❤️

I do have a great dad! (He's 91 now) Not only did he let me steal his lawn mower engine, he had actually bought me the go-kart. And a year or so later he bought the 1929 Model A that was a father-son project for the next several years. He's also a mechanical engineer and a tinkerer (although not quite the motorhead I am), so I can thank him for a LOT of who I am.

For what it's worth, I have memories of my grandpa (my dad's dad) in his 70s trying to tune a 5 hp Merc outboard to run as best it would, and then sitting in the front of his little Alumacraft fishing boat, using an oar to move the throttle and steer the little outboard. He wanted to get the boat to go as fast as he could, so he wanted as little weight in it as possible, but to have the weight distributed in the boat to give it a chance to get up on plane. So I guess I inherited a lot from him as well!

And Jim, thanks for asking about Lesley. She's wishing she would heal up faster, but is really doing well. She's a little achy, taking ibuprofen and Tylenol, but not touching the oxy prescription. She's moving around the house OK, but not yet feeling up to getting out much, although we did go to our son's track meet yesterday. It'll probably be a week or two before she's back to 100%, but that's not bad for having had abdominal surgery!

I do have a great dad! (He's 91 now) Not only did he let me steal his lawn mower engine, he had actually bought me the go-kart. And a year or so later he bought the 1929 Model A that was a father-son project for the next several years. He's also a mechanical engineer and a tinkerer (although not quite the motorhead I am), so I can thank him for a LOT of who I am.

For what it's worth, I have memories of my grandpa (my dad's dad) in his 70s trying to tune a 5 hp Merc outboard to run as best it would, and then sitting in the front of his little Alumacraft fishing boat, using an oar to move the throttle and steer the little outboard. He wanted to get the boat to go as fast as he could, so he wanted as little weight in it as possible, but to have the weight distributed in the boat to give it a chance to get up on plane. So I guess I inherited a lot from him as well!

And Jim, thanks for asking about Lesley. She's wishing she would heal up faster, but is really doing well. She's a little achy, taking ibuprofen and Tylenol, but not touching the oxy prescription. She's moving around the house OK, but not yet feeling up to getting out much, although we did go to our son's track meet yesterday. It'll probably be a week or two before she's back to 100%, but that's not bad for having had abdominal surgery!

Every one of us is concerned for you both! ❤️

Something like an appendix or gallbladder comes on fast and needs to be dealt with right away.

I spent last weekend in the hospital on IV antibiotics and analgesics because my leg got infected and swelled up like a tree stump. :nabble_anim_crazy:

I'd be dead right now if it weren't for the incredible staff at Yale New Haven. 😐

Every one of us is concerned for you both! ❤️

Something like an appendix or gallbladder comes on fast and needs to be dealt with right away.

I spent last weekend in the hospital on IV antibiotics and analgesics because my leg got infected and swelled up like a tree stump. :nabble_anim_crazy:

I'd be dead right now if it weren't for the incredible staff at Yale New Haven. 😐

Jim. you must be as stubborn as I am, I walked around for over a week with a ruptured appendix, it was only when I couldn't pee that I finally decided to let Karen take me to the ER. They did emergency surgery on me and kept me in for 3 or 4 days. Due to my working on Mercedes and Jaguars, I had a whos who of Newport News doctors checking on me, including the kids pediatrician.

Jim. you must be as stubborn as I am, I walked around for over a week with a ruptured appendix, it was only when I couldn't pee that I finally decided to let Karen take me to the ER. They did emergency surgery on me and kept me in for 3 or 4 days. Due to my working on Mercedes and Jaguars, I had a whos who of Newport News doctors checking on me, including the kids pediatrician.

Not stubborn, I just don't know pain the same way most people do.

That whole "on a scale of 1-10" 🐂:nabble_poo-23_orig: makes me laugh.

Meanwhile, I'm really hoping you get the relief you need tomorrow. 🙏

I know that you have a friend to shuttle you to and from...

Looking good. What is your recipe for the paint job ? Primer, paint and 2k clear coat or are you using sealer, etc ?

Understand that I know next to nothing about auto body work...so do not think my answers have any weight to them. Happy for input. 😀

I have ordered primer, paint and clear.

I plan to sand everything down to original primer or steel, clean, tack and then prime. I will then sand the primer to ensure a smooth good surface. After that, I will do a few coats of the paint and then clear.

Again, I've never done this before but have read up on it. It will certainly be an education.

Being I don't know anything about paint, I went with what seemed like a idiot proof Duplicolor pre-thinned paint color. Just trying to limit the amount of things I need to try and figure out.

Not stubborn, I just don't know pain the same way most people do.

That whole "on a scale of 1-10" 🐂:nabble_poo-23_orig: makes me laugh.

Meanwhile, I'm really hoping you get the relief you need tomorrow. 🙏

I know that you have a friend to shuttle you to and from...

Maybe the correct term would be a high pain threshold.

I got the injection, actually two, one for each side and so far it seems to be helping.