Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

The swelling is going down a bit, and that's relieving the pressure inside my knee.

I wouldn't say it's comfortable today, but the increased mobility is welcome! 🙂

Excellent! Prayers are being answered. :nabble_anim_claps:

That's good! I hope you get better, Jim! Progress on the diff so far?

Not much, unfortunately.

I decided to tackle the small things that I had not finished, just to put the brake pedal switch and horns behind me.

Each of those was fraught with challenges, like the pedal assembly nut broken off inside the dash structure.

Then I got sidelined replacing my brother's main toilet, because having a place to poop trumps about everything else in life.

But, more work on my knees, and that floor was as you'd expect of an old house with two young boys. 🤢

Im glad I don't have to consider any of that and can focus on the important job of getting this diff shimmed correctly without any of the fixtures Bill mentioned from his AllData.

That stuff is heavy, and my brother is back to work at the PD, so I can't rely on his 'help' from here on .

I can see that there's a lot of in and out fitting required to establish proper mesh and clearances.

I have to get it fit-up, force the carrier back and forth while keeping the shim stacks in order.

All this requires dragging it out from under the truck, getting the fit I need, crawling back under......

This is not like a 9" where you can just set it up on the bench and everything is like 1/2 the weight of this monster!

Rain is coming today.

The driveway is downhill from the street, so becomes a drainage swale.

I'm not crawling around in that with an infected leg that barely moves.

We'll see what dawn brings.....

Not much, unfortunately.

I decided to tackle the small things that I had not finished, just to put the brake pedal switch and horns behind me.

Each of those was fraught with challenges, like the pedal assembly nut broken off inside the dash structure.

Then I got sidelined replacing my brother's main toilet, because having a place to poop trumps about everything else in life.

But, more work on my knees, and that floor was as you'd expect of an old house with two young boys. 🤢

Im glad I don't have to consider any of that and can focus on the important job of getting this diff shimmed correctly without any of the fixtures Bill mentioned from his AllData.

That stuff is heavy, and my brother is back to work at the PD, so I can't rely on his 'help' from here on .

I can see that there's a lot of in and out fitting required to establish proper mesh and clearances.

I have to get it fit-up, force the carrier back and forth while keeping the shim stacks in order.

All this requires dragging it out from under the truck, getting the fit I need, crawling back under......

This is not like a 9" where you can just set it up on the bench and everything is like 1/2 the weight of this monster!

Rain is coming today.

The driveway is downhill from the street, so becomes a drainage swale.

I'm not crawling around in that with an infected leg that barely moves.

We'll see what dawn brings.....

Good luck, Jim! :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Good luck, Jim! :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Unfortunately it's raining pretty hard already.

(this isn't supposed to let up for days)

I put my bearing caps, and all the bolts back in the ultrasonic tank yesterday afternoon and forgot about them because I was distracted by pain.

I don't like having my hands in Purple Power and the local was out of Spray Nine last week.

I tried some stuff called Greased Lightning, but it was a complete fail on gear lube.

Yesterday I went and got a gallon of Spray Nine and put all the parts in zipper baggies.

Fill the tank with water and set it for an hour.

I have to go rinse and dry them.

They will take the paint marker if they are clean enough...

Unfortunately it's raining pretty hard already.

(this isn't supposed to let up for days)

I put my bearing caps, and all the bolts back in the ultrasonic tank yesterday afternoon and forgot about them because I was distracted by pain.

I don't like having my hands in Purple Power and the local was out of Spray Nine last week.

I tried some stuff called Greased Lightning, but it was a complete fail on gear lube.

Yesterday I went and got a gallon of Spray Nine and put all the parts in zipper baggies.

Fill the tank with water and set it for an hour.

I have to go rinse and dry them.

They will take the paint marker if they are clean enough...

The Spray Nine worked a treat and I took the rusty cover bolts/studs and put them in a 50/50 bath of Concrete & Metal Prep for a little phosphate finish, hoping to give them a chance, along with my new to me diff tag from Shaun.

IMG_20240411_095323_MP.jpg.306c13bfbe7dad214963d87e5047e5c4.jpg

The Spray Nine worked a treat and I took the rusty cover bolts/studs and put them in a 50/50 bath of Concrete & Metal Prep for a little phosphate finish, hoping to give them a chance, along with my new to me diff tag from Shaun.

If it weren't that it would cost a ton to ship, I would send you the 10.25" tool set, one of the tools is a shim driver for forcing the Ford shims in behind the bearing cups.

Jim - It looks like your prep is going well. Here's hoping you can get the thing together soon. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

As for what I did to my truck today, I got the steering back together and took it for a spin. Success! The noise described in this thread is gone: Big Blue's Chuckling Noise In Steering Column.

And, this was the first outing since tightening the lines going into the steering box, and it appears that fixed the leak. It wasn't a long trip so I'm not placing it in the DONE column, but it is looking good.

Jim - It looks like your prep is going well. Here's hoping you can get the thing together soon. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig.png

As for what I did to my truck today, I got the steering back together and took it for a spin. Success! The noise described in this thread is gone: Big Blue's Chuckling Noise In Steering Column.

And, this was the first outing since tightening the lines going into the steering box, and it appears that fixed the leak. It wasn't a long trip so I'm not placing it in the DONE column, but it is looking good.

There's only so much I can do, given the rain.

I think I have a guy to press the bearings on, but I just torched the pinion bearing until it dropped into place.

(I don't have my oxy setup here. It's PAINFULLY slow!)

Anyway, I've got the ring gear located and torqued to 115 lb ft, as marked....

IMG_20240411_172516_MP.jpg.6e98f43238cdf188779f996807174a3d.jpg

There's only so much I can do, given the rain.

I think I have a guy to press the bearings on, but I just torched the pinion bearing until it dropped into place.

(I don't have my oxy setup here. It's PAINFULLY slow!)

Anyway, I've got the ring gear located and torqued to 115 lb ft, as marked....

What does Gary use to say in that case, let me remember...

Oh yeah, progress!

:nabble_smiley_happy: