Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

C.R.L's window also comes with some plastic flange 'extensions' on the corners that are needed to fill out the gasket.

ArdWrknTrk... flange extensions? By your description, looks like we used the same replacement window but mine didn't come with such extensions... would have been a nice problem solver! ... you didn't have to order them separately? You used the LMC 49-9279 gasket?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

C.R.L's window also comes with some plastic flange 'extensions' on the corners that are needed to fill out the gasket.

ArdWrknTrk... flange extensions? By your description, looks like we used the same replacement window but mine didn't come with such extensions... would have been a nice problem solver! ... you didn't have to order them separately? You used the LMC 49-9279 gasket?

Your window didn't have some black plastic ears on the tight radius of the corners when you took it out of the box?

I bought my window from a place in Texas through eBay. I'm not sure of the model number or if my dark tinted replacement slider is exactly the same as offered by LMC.

Once I realized the gasket for the factory slider wouldn't work, and CRL explained they don't offer a window that fits it, I turned to LMC.

That is when their "tech" told me to get the one piece gasket.... That ALSO didn't fit. :nabble_smiley_uh:

Ultimately, I purchased another gasket (with "chrome" trim and cover clips.)

This combo finally got the CRL slider to seal in my truck.

Old fashioned smooth GoJo or personal lubricant and a radiused tool helps a lot trying to get that trim seated in the groove without digging or scratching.

I think I used a yellow plastic one intended for prying off interior trim.

HTH

Your window didn't have some black plastic ears on the tight radius of the corners when you took it out of the box?

I bought my window from a place in Texas through eBay. I'm not sure of the model number or if my dark tinted replacement slider is exactly the same as offered by LMC.

Once I realized the gasket for the factory slider wouldn't work, and CRL explained they don't offer a window that fits it, I turned to LMC.

That is when their "tech" told me to get the one piece gasket.... That ALSO didn't fit. :nabble_smiley_uh:

Ultimately, I purchased another gasket (with "chrome" trim and cover clips.)

This combo finally got the CRL slider to seal in my truck.

Old fashioned smooth GoJo or personal lubricant and a radiused tool helps a lot trying to get that trim seated in the groove without digging or scratching.

I think I used a yellow plastic one intended for prying off interior trim.

HTH

I bought the window because the eBay seller offered it for around $110-120 with free shipping.

LMC can kill you on shipping, and at first I thought I had the correct gasket.

I think I shared this lesson on FTE but it's been a few years since I had to deal with it.

... nope... but I went back and reinstalled the new slider with the original gasket that they sent with my window order... the one that accepts the "chrome" filler piece... and I'll admit... it fits A LITTLE better. At least the corners aren't exposed like with the first fitting... But based on the age lines, I'd say the whole thing is still about 1/4" shy all the way around the window opening compared to the original factory gasket. :nabble_smiley_uh:

... and your right about the insertion of the chrome trim. I got the spreader loop tool that helps install that filler piece... and I can tell just from using it exactly why it was invented! MUCH easier with the special tool.

I think I'll go with this install.... for the time being... now that I've popped that window out and in a few times... it doesn't feel like a "big job" anymore... and if I stumble on a better solution, I'll not hesitate to pop it back out again :nabble_smiley_beam:

thx for your feedback re this issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Got the cowl lifted and cleaned out the debris under there with a vacuum and patience. :nabble_smiley_thinking: Seems there should be a better way.

If you hose that out with water, will it go down and out the fender? The plastic pieces at the bottom of the fender are hanging anyway. Something I intend to fix. Thought I could make it easy to open.

There is a better way.

Pull off the left & right plastic kick panels.

If you don't have AC you should be able to reach down inside and pull out hands full of crap.

If you have AC undo the 4 screws that hold that cover plate on and remove the plate, you should be able to reach down inside and pull out hands full of crap.

Yes you should be able to run the water hose down inside the cowl to wash out some of the crap.

Water should come the "duck bill" seal. It is the black "duck bill" looking thing just to the left and below the lower hinge. There is one on each side.

Now you may need to open the "bill" to get the larger crap out.

Dave ----

Got in there and cleaned out the debris you said I would find FuzzFace2!

The driver's side was up to the panel, the passenger side was lower as I got some of it when I cleaned everything out with the A/C service and blower motor replacement. Looks like I got down to the mulch!

Used a plastic scraper to loosen the tough stuff up. To get in there good with the shop vac I took the plastic piece, where you hook attachments on the end, out of the hose and went at it!

Now I have to change the radiator on my wifes 98 Suburban. I call it my "Nemesis"!

Got in there and cleaned out the debris you said I would find FuzzFace2!

The driver's side was up to the panel, the passenger side was lower as I got some of it when I cleaned everything out with the A/C service and blower motor replacement. Looks like I got down to the mulch!

Used a plastic scraper to loosen the tough stuff up. To get in there good with the shop vac I took the plastic piece, where you hook attachments on the end, out of the hose and went at it!

Now I have to change the radiator on my wifes 98 Suburban. I call it my "Nemesis"!

The heater will smell so much better this fall/winter. :nabble_smiley_good:

Last time I rebuilt my truck, I added several layers of protection to the HVAC intake; from the w/s trim, through the (later) wiper valance & pollen filter, down to the blower intake. Read this & the NEXT several captions:

http://supermotors.net/getfile/947911/thumbnail/22screen.jpg

Steve - I've looked at all the pics and read the captions, but I'm not sure where you used the air purifier filter. Can you elaborate?