Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Just mid '70's Mercedes cars....

Installed my new rear brake drums today. I ordered drums for 9/16 studs, which are on my truck and the drums show up with .550" diameter lug holes. I drilled them out on the drill press and they fit fine after that. Always something, brakes feel much better than before though. A year and a half of driving with the oversized (turned) OEM drums and the shoes were still only contacting in the center. If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll probably install the courtesy lighting package harness.

I also rotated the tires and greased the front steering components.

427990258_915804603258443_276141497063275633_n.jpg.de197947e07cf94df6906ae4d56ce9a2.jpg

Installed my new rear brake drums today. I ordered drums for 9/16 studs, which are on my truck and the drums show up with .550" diameter lug holes. I drilled them out on the drill press and they fit fine after that. Always something, brakes feel much better than before though. A year and a half of driving with the oversized (turned) OEM drums and the shoes were still only contacting in the center. If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll probably install the courtesy lighting package harness.

Progress is Good! :nabble_smiley_good: :nabble_smiley_good:

Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

I was using some citristrip to remove old paint from valve covers. I used to destroy these PCV grommets trying to remove them, but experience has taught me to use a hot air gun to soften it first and get it out in mostly 1 piece.

I have looked for these forever never could find them for the 460. Figured I would ask what the part number was.

A7A39DFF-AA56-46EF-87E6-B4B05EE42B63.jpeg.9d6b594b62bf92364c2e0b8e1cfeca7f.jpeg

I was using some citristrip to remove old paint from valve covers. I used to destroy these PCV grommets trying to remove them, but experience has taught me to use a hot air gun to soften it first and get it out in mostly 1 piece.

I have looked for these forever never could find them for the 460. Figured I would ask what the part number was.

The twist-on PCV grommets are sorta rare and a bit expensive. I had to do a lot of searching for one for my 1970 Mustang with a 351 CJ.

Should be this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/372663355123

EDIT: Part number C7AZ-6892

Oil of wintergreen (methyl salicylate) will soften them up.

(You can Google it if you like!)

It works great on things like motorcycle carburetor boots. 😉

I grew up near the Life Savers factory in Portchester NY.

The maintenance guys used it (because it was food safe) to dislodge the crust of sugar that got into the works and gummed up the equipment.

Marvel Mystery Oil was started right across the street! 🤔

Oil of wintergreen (methyl salicylate) will soften them up.

(You can Google it if you like!)

It works great on things like motorcycle carburetor boots. 😉

I grew up near the Life Savers factory in Portchester NY.

The maintenance guys used it (because it was food safe) to dislodge the crust of sugar that got into the works and gummed up the equipment.

Marvel Mystery Oil was started right across the street! 🤔

Where do I start... :nabble_smiley_what:

Installed the new starter

Started reconnecting vacuum hoses and wiring.

Bolted down headers.

Fought the oil dipstick tube (thanks headers)

Spark plugs in.

Distributor locked down after #1 identified of course

Worked on my new radiator support with some helpful info from the following being I am in a similar situation:

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/radiator-support.html

20240218_120124.jpg.0eb905861092b0a235a217f6a46cdeed.jpg

Where do I start... :nabble_smiley_what:

Installed the new starter

Started reconnecting vacuum hoses and wiring.

Bolted down headers.

Fought the oil dipstick tube (thanks headers)

Spark plugs in.

Distributor locked down after #1 identified of course

Worked on my new radiator support with some helpful info from the following being I am in a similar situation:

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/radiator-support.html

Progress! :nabble_smiley_super:

But the dizzy was locked down after #1 was on the compression stroke? :nabble_anim_confused:

And glad that page helped. :nabble_smiley_good:

Progress! :nabble_smiley_super:

But the dizzy was locked down after #1 was on the compression stroke? :nabble_anim_confused:

And glad that page helped. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yep, comp on #1. It's actually a fun thing to do with someone who is new to engines. You get to point at valves opening and closing as you spin the crank, etc. Educational certainly.