Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

It is VERY confusing. But the minimum torque is 160 lb-ft. At that point you are supposed to be checking the preload and torque it more until you get to the preload: (original bearings .9-1.5 N*m [8-14 in-lbs]; new bearings 1.8-3.3 N»m [16-29 in-lbs]).

That's a rotational torque spec for the pinion only (axles out because of seal drag)

But I just can't go there, and don't have most of my tools -like the 1/4 drive lb in torque wrench and a piece of string- even if I wanted to.

I have a new crush collar from the local stealership, and I KNOW it's going to take a lot more than 160 to flatten that out.

I really wish that Jimmy from my local (and Best!) underbody/alignment shop hadn't retired. :nabble_smiley_sad:

That's a rotational torque spec for the pinion only (axles out because of seal drag)

But I just can't go there, and don't have most of my tools -like the 1/4 drive lb in torque wrench and a piece of string- even if I wanted to.

I have a new crush collar from the local stealership, and I KNOW it's going to take a lot more than 160 to flatten that out.

I really wish that Jimmy from my local (and Best!) underbody/alignment shop hadn't retired. :nabble_smiley_sad:

I got the above off our page, but then pulled the 1985 FSM and found the same instructions. The 160 is a minimum and they don't state a max. That was the confusing bit. Sorry.

It is VERY confusing. But the minimum torque is 160 lb-ft. At that point you are supposed to be checking the preload and torque it more until you get to the preload: (original bearings .9-1.5 N*m [8-14 in-lbs]; new bearings 1.8-3.3 N»m [16-29 in-lbs]).

I appreciate your effort! :nabble_smiley_good:

Come to find out I screwed up.

The cap diameter is right but the cross width is wrong on that universal joint. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

I'm going to have to find something local, but that usually doesn't mean quality.

At least I waited to pull the pinion until I had everything ready.

I may only have a front wheel drive truck but at least I can get to the store

I appreciate your effort! :nabble_smiley_good:

Come to find out I screwed up.

The cap diameter is right but the cross width is wrong on that universal joint. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

I'm going to have to find something local, but that usually doesn't mean quality.

At least I waited to pull the pinion until I had everything ready.

I may only have a front wheel drive truck but at least I can get to the store

No prob. Hope you get the rear done quickly. But at least you have a fwd truck. Those are rare, and with a 460 providing the ballast, should have good traction. :nabble_smiley_wink:

No prob. Hope you get the rear done quickly. But at least you have a fwd truck. Those are rare, and with a 460 providing the ballast, should have good traction. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Annnnnd it's pouring. 😖

I'm D O N E! 😡

Actually the truck is very poor off the line.

I can easily light up the front if I don't exercise extreme caution.

Annnnnd it's pouring. 😖

I'm D O N E! 😡

Actually the truck is very poor off the line.

I can easily light up the front if I don't exercise extreme caution.

DONE as in "I'm not working in these conditions"? Don't blame you.

As for traction, Janey and I were talking about the slick conditions we've had here of late and I told her that Big Blue would be about the last thing I'd want to drive in it. The clutch is grabby and with the torque it has one of the rear tires would spin easily. And then the Truetrac would kick in and both would spin, and all control would be gone. Her little AWD GLK is much easier to drive in slick conditions.

Anyway, I hope you get things together soon. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

DONE as in "I'm not working in these conditions"? Don't blame you.

As for traction, Janey and I were talking about the slick conditions we've had here of late and I told her that Big Blue would be about the last thing I'd want to drive in it. The clutch is grabby and with the torque it has one of the rear tires would spin easily. And then the Truetrac would kick in and both would spin, and all control would be gone. Her little AWD GLK is much easier to drive in slick conditions.

Anyway, I hope you get things together soon. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Done as in I'm frustrated and am not going to lay in the mud if there's no chance of finishing.

I'd have to take an Uber tonight, and again tomorrow to get home (with a pit stop for another universal)

I need to take a deep breath

Done as in I'm frustrated and am not going to lay in the mud if there's no chance of finishing.

I'd have to take an Uber tonight, and again tomorrow to get home (with a pit stop for another universal)

I need to take a deep breath

It seems I should have ordered Spicer 5-468X instead of 5-460X :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Amazon will have it here by Friday morning between 4-8 AM

It's just not worth chasing crap like that only for the parts store to order it in anyhow.

Looks like rain all week.

Hopefully I can borrow a car or just keep rolling in front wheel drive. 🙄

Screenshot_20240124-231644.thumb.png.7f395cbb3c3249c21b546106cc93f0c8.png

Everything I can find says 4-600#' to crush the collar, which is more in line with my using a 3/4 breaker bar and a fence pipe to set the preload last time. (while standing beside the truck and picking up the near side tire!)

I don't have the luxury of a shim set nor the proper conditions to R&R the ring and carrier multiple times to arrive at the 6-8 inch lbs torque for used bearings and just the pinion installed.

I also don't have the collar out to measure, and order a proper distance piece (solid spacer) 🤷‍♂️

I don't mind snow, but I don't like this cold rain.

It doesn't get any easier when you've abused your body for decades.

Everything I can find says 4-600#' to crush the collar, which is more in line with my using a 3/4 breaker bar and a fence pipe to set the preload last time. (while standing beside the truck and picking up the near side tire!)

I don't have the luxury of a shim set nor the proper conditions to R&R the ring and carrier multiple times to arrive at the 6-8 inch lbs torque for used bearings and just the pinion installed.

I also don't have the collar out to measure, and order a proper distance piece (solid spacer) 🤷‍♂️

I don't mind snow, but I don't like this cold rain.

It doesn't get any easier when you've abused your body for decades.

I think doing it the same way you did it last time is the right approach. And I hope the rain will quit so you can get it done ASAP. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig: