Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking good, Frank! :nabble_anim_claps:

Got it running and back together today and drove it to church tonight. I still need to make some adjustment in my carburetor as I am having some part throttle stumbling due to being a little lean. I recalculated my static and dynamic compression and I now have 9.54 static and 8.42 dynamic compression. So far, I have detected no spark knock on the 87 octane that's in my tank now, even with being a little on the lean side.

Got it running and back together today and drove it to church tonight. I still need to make some adjustment in my carburetor as I am having some part throttle stumbling due to being a little lean. I recalculated my static and dynamic compression and I now have 9.54 static and 8.42 dynamic compression. So far, I have detected no spark knock on the 87 octane that's in my tank now, even with being a little on the lean side.

Wonderful! :nabble_anim_claps:

Can you pull the metering rod up a bit to give a bit more fuel?

:nabble_smiley_good:

I found my problem and the truck now runs like new, well better than new I guess. I got up this morning ready to swap in another distributor that I have if the new plugs didn't make things better. When I got to no. 6, the plug gap was completely closed:nabble_smiley_whistling:. Problem solved. I also went back over the rocker arms and re-set the preload on all my lifters and got rid of the rocker arm tapping. I also have to say that Jon at Delta cams reground me a great cam and it is preforming beautifully. It has great torque and acceleration in what ever gear I'm in.

I found my problem and the truck now runs like new, well better than new I guess. I got up this morning ready to swap in another distributor that I have if the new plugs didn't make things better. When I got to no. 6, the plug gap was completely closed:nabble_smiley_whistling:. Problem solved. I also went back over the rocker arms and re-set the preload on all my lifters and got rid of the rocker arm tapping. I also have to say that Jon at Delta cams reground me a great cam and it is preforming beautifully. It has great torque and acceleration in what ever gear I'm in.

Excellent! But what caused the plug's gap to be closed? Is it too long and hitting the piston?

Excellent! But what caused the plug's gap to be closed? Is it too long and hitting the piston?

I don't know how it got closed up but it happened before it was put in the engine. I am using the extended tip EFI plugs but they don't stick in that far. It's running great now so it was on me for not checking the gap before installing them.

I don't know how it got closed up but it happened before it was put in the engine. I am using the extended tip EFI plugs but they don't stick in that far. It's running great now so it was on me for not checking the gap before installing them.

Today I finished up several things. But the main thing was the installation of the new Blue Top steering box. Not only did the new box make a dramatic difference in the steering, I discovered that it was at least one source of the leak I've been having.

Another was the separation of the air inlet tube to the EFI from the line into the A/C compressor. Those two have been rubbing against each other and had worn completely through the insulation down to the A/C pipe.

Last, while I was moving the EFI inlet away from the A/C pipe I dropped a bolt that sounded like it went to the left front of the truck where the horn is. So after finishing the job I went looking for the bolt and found one - just like it but not "it". So I looked farther and found "it" as well. I'm guessing the first bolt I found has been in there since I put the EFI on, so several thousand miles. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Anyway, I think I'm caught up for projects on the truck for the moment and will move on to cleaning up the shop. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Today I finished up several things. But the main thing was the installation of the new Blue Top steering box. Not only did the new box make a dramatic difference in the steering, I discovered that it was at least one source of the leak I've been having.

Another was the separation of the air inlet tube to the EFI from the line into the A/C compressor. Those two have been rubbing against each other and had worn completely through the insulation down to the A/C pipe.

Last, while I was moving the EFI inlet away from the A/C pipe I dropped a bolt that sounded like it went to the left front of the truck where the horn is. So after finishing the job I went looking for the bolt and found one - just like it but not "it". So I looked farther and found "it" as well. I'm guessing the first bolt I found has been in there since I put the EFI on, so several thousand miles. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Anyway, I think I'm caught up for projects on the truck for the moment and will move on to cleaning up the shop. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Well, not so fast on the "caught up" bit, Gary. We drove Big Blue a bit over 100 miles today checking out some of the places where Killers Of The Flower Moon was filmed, and I thoroughly enjoyed the huge, dramatic improvement in steering. In fact, there's a section of OK 11 that is both narrow and twisty and I was telling Janey how it used to be a white-knuckled bit. But today as I was threading that needle with one hand on the wheel we met a dump truck in the middle of one of the turns - no worries, mate!

I also realized there was an additional benefit - a reduction in noise, probably due to the new lower steering column bearing stopping a rattle I've had. But that let me hear a squeak somewhere close to where the collar around the column hits the instrument bezel. So I do have another layer of the onion to peel, and you can read about that effort here.