Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

You really should drain the torque converter before refilling. Roughly half of the fluid is in it, so you are only replacing 50% of the fluid.

There's a former Ford transmission engineer named Mark Kovalski who posted this procedure for changing the fluid in an E4OD or 4R100 trans. He's also pointed people to it when they are asking about a C6, saying the same procedure works on it. And in the procedure he also talks about a 4R70W, which I think is pretty similar to an AOD. So I get the feeling he would use this procedure on just about any Ford automatic from the '70s, '80s or '90s.

Read the link to get the actual procedure, but the gist is to not drop the pan or drain the converter (although he's not strongly against either of those, and does change the filter every other fluid change in spite of Ford saying not to do that ever). Instead you pull the fluid return line from the trans and start the engine to pump out the old fluid.

Again, this comes from a former Ford transmission engineer who seems to know his stuff. But I'm just telling you what I've read. I don't know my stuff. Or at least not Mark's stuff.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been looking for a set of those map pockets in nutmeg. Any special place you buy them?

I found them at Collector’s Auto Supply .

I wasn’t able to buy directly from their web site, problems with Canadian addresses. I had to go through their eBay store, it worked.

They offer a huge colors choice.

Be aware that they are very expansive, and the quality is questionable, not

sure how resistant they will be.

Anyway, I am happy, as it seemed impossible to find some used ones.

IMG_8358.jpeg.b27567cfde2a9f8a6119dbc2045aec3b.jpeg

I've been looking for a set of those map pockets in nutmeg. Any special place you buy them?

I found them at Collector’s Auto Supply .

I wasn’t able to buy directly from their web site, problems with Canadian addresses. I had to go through their eBay store, it worked.

They offer a huge colors choice.

Be aware that they are very expansive, and the quality is questionable, not

sure how resistant they will be.

Anyway, I am happy, as it seemed impossible to find some used ones.

Your map pockets are lookin' good!

Anyone else in here a fan of the carpeted kind with the elastic?

Your map pockets are lookin' good!

Anyone else in here a fan of the carpeted kind with the elastic?

Looking really good!

I guess in the vs question, I just fall in with how Ford usually did them - I like the plastic in my low trim flatbed since it's easy to throw wrenches, gloves, etc in them and I can see stuff as I rummage around in them.

In the high-trim 86, I like the carpet style for looks but the elastic and shape makes them pretty useless as far as functionality goes for me. I think Gary may carry his extinguisher 'stick' in his and that's about the best use I can think of for the carpet style. Something you don't get out often but is in a close location for when you do need it.

Looking really good!

I guess in the vs question, I just fall in with how Ford usually did them - I like the plastic in my low trim flatbed since it's easy to throw wrenches, gloves, etc in them and I can see stuff as I rummage around in them.

In the high-trim 86, I like the carpet style for looks but the elastic and shape makes them pretty useless as far as functionality goes for me. I think Gary may carry his extinguisher 'stick' in his and that's about the best use I can think of for the carpet style. Something you don't get out often but is in a close location for when you do need it.

I think I like the carpeted ones because that's what I have on my bronco, which was my dad's when I was a kid. I have had a few other bullnoses with the plastic ones, and I think they just got old and brittle and broke when pushed on with a foot.

I have had a few other bullnoses with the plastic ones, and I think they just got old and brittle and broke when pushed on with a foot.

When searching for some used ones, there was one carpeted pair on eBay (tan color).

Not that I don’t like them, but my «as close as stock» sickness made me hesitate… and you should not hesitate too long about rare items.

After 3-4 days, they were sold.

Since I consider that it will be very useful for my road trip, I finally ordered these plastic repro.

You are right, I am wondering about their fragility.

I have had a few other bullnoses with the plastic ones, and I think they just got old and brittle and broke when pushed on with a foot.

When searching for some used ones, there was one carpeted pair on eBay (tan color).

Not that I don’t like them, but my «as close as stock» sickness made me hesitate… and you should not hesitate too long about rare items.

After 3-4 days, they were sold.

Since I consider that it will be very useful for my road trip, I finally ordered these plastic repro.

You are right, I am wondering about their fragility.

Jeff - While I like the plastic ones I've found that almost all of the used ones I've seen are broken. And apparently that is because if you are standing outside the truck and the door swings shut the pocket is the first thing to hit your legs. That puts a lot of force along the top edge of the pocket where it is weakest and it cracks.

I've repaired & upgraded some of them by epoxying a strip of metal under the top lip, laid in horizontally where it cannot be seen but offers considerable strength. I've not done it on new ones but vowed I would if I found new ones.

Jeff - While I like the plastic ones I've found that almost all of the used ones I've seen are broken. And apparently that is because if you are standing outside the truck and the door swings shut the pocket is the first thing to hit your legs. That puts a lot of force along the top edge of the pocket where it is weakest and it cracks.

I've repaired & upgraded some of them by epoxying a strip of metal under the top lip, laid in horizontally where it cannot be seen but offers considerable strength. I've not done it on new ones but vowed I would if I found new ones.

Sounds like a great idea, Gary.

Possibly why they switched to the "flexible" map pockets in 1985, is the "hard plastic" ones were easily damaged.

This is the first time though, that I've seen a replica plastic map pocket that looks like the original Ford equipment. So thanks for the link Jeff.

The hard plastic ones came in two types, depending on trim level. With or without carpet attributes. It looks like they only sell these without the carpet insert.

Good find! :nabble_smiley_good:

Sounds like a great idea, Gary.

Possibly why they switched to the "flexible" map pockets in 1985, is the "hard plastic" ones were easily damaged.

This is the first time though, that I've seen a replica plastic map pocket that looks like the original Ford equipment. So thanks for the link Jeff.

The hard plastic ones came in two types, depending on trim level. With or without carpet attributes. It looks like they only sell these without the carpet insert.

Good find! :nabble_smiley_good:

Gonna finally install the 9" from 9 years ago!

Also, looked up the part#'s for the black grill parts and uh, definitely should have bought them all back then...

IMG_6808.jpg.456cb19eea10d29d067619c8a04f10bb.jpg

Gonna finally install the 9" from 9 years ago!

Also, looked up the part#'s for the black grill parts and uh, definitely should have bought them all back then...

9 years!?!?!? Wow! Has it really been that long?

Are you bringing the truck to the show on the 16th? Don't forget the dinner the night before for forum members.

And yes, you shoulda bought way back then. Those parts aren't being made any more and there are fewer in the wild than earlier.