Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I'm not trying to spend his money... :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

You asked who would have the features and quality you want....

Daniel Stern's relay harness @ $99 is still $50 less than the 'Painful' "kit"!

I'm sure the breaker upgrade would only be the cost differential between them and fuse holders.

I'm trying not to spend his money either. So I'm looking for something about 1/3 of the Daniel Stern harness.

However, if it was Dad's truck or Big Blue, which I know will be around for a looooong time, I'd probably go with Daniel's harness - if I were to use a standard harness. As it is, I'm running Daniel's ceramic connectors in my harness on Big Blue and will probably do the same on Dad's truck. Since I have, and will have, the power distribution box(s) I have a place to put relays rather than just bolt them to the fender.

Perhaps I'm wrong. :nabble_anim_confused:

I know the 40A relay in my little box has bigger prongs.

I'm sure it's not standardized, especially with so much coming from China off Amazon these days. I have some switches on the way that claim to be 50 amp for only $9 a pop. I have a hard time believing that tbh.

Screenshot_20230605_144133_Chrome.thumb.jpg.49e0bd76df79cde2591f6118c2bc2180.jpg

I'm trying not to spend his money either. So I'm looking for something about 1/3 of the Daniel Stern harness.

However, if it was Dad's truck or Big Blue, which I know will be around for a looooong time, I'd probably go with Daniel's harness - if I were to use a standard harness. As it is, I'm running Daniel's ceramic connectors in my harness on Big Blue and will probably do the same on Dad's truck. Since I have, and will have, the power distribution box(s) I have a place to put relays rather than just bolt them to the fender.

Gary I'd considered fabbing up a little power distribution box at work for this project since things are so slow lately, but they're actualy slow enough that we all got a suprise 11 day vacation lol. I'd meant to shear some switch panels out of sheet metal too and didn't get a chance to do that either.

There's this Hella branded one on eBay.

It's almost exactly 1/3 the cost of Daniel's :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Hella harnesses are usually pretty good quality too. I'd roll the dice on that one.

You know, if I had headlight plugs or something.

You can read Daniel's musings on old (German) Hella v/s the newer stuff coming out of the CCP. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

But, yeah. If I were going to buy one today I'd probably go this route.

Yes, I think the Hella one is a winner. It says "Complete Harness With Double-fuse, Double Relay with Ceramic Sockets". That's the one I'll recommend. Thanks!

Gary

I used a male plug into the socket to pick up the hi/lo beam power for a trigger, wired the rest with new headlight plugs, all can be disconnected if needed with all original wiring intact, picked up power off the batt terminal on starter solenoid. Pic below is the relay diagram. Pretty much made it up as I went along.

fuse2.jpg.b9a0d534197067195cd11fd2c9ee6d2c.jpgfuse_2.jpg.6cf01c803456d80adcd24ae14c043817.jpg

Gary

I used a male plug into the socket to pick up the hi/lo beam power for a trigger, wired the rest with new headlight plugs, all can be disconnected if needed with all original wiring intact, picked up power off the batt terminal on starter solenoid. Pic below is the relay diagram. Pretty much made it up as I went along.

Headlights and wiring harness are probably going to take a slight backseay in my truck for now so I can focus on getting it running and driving.

Got a couple more hours on it today. All vacuum lines and heater hoses are done, belts are tight, everything under the hood for the cruise control is done, replaced the door speakers, and started pulling the carpet. After nearly 40 years I'm surprised at how well it is still stuck to the floor. Need to get the motor to TDC on cylinder one, finish interior, finish exhaust, wire in aftermarket oil pressure and water temp sensors, mount radiator and hoses, prime oil system, install distributor, finish intake and fire it up. Sounds so easy on paper.

Also didn't know I probably should've primed clutch cylinder on the bench so might be removing it to get it primed.

PXL_20230606_020129163.jpg.793b637607e1e5c1f848aee1f7760a34.jpg

PXL_20230606_020137964.jpg.42037e308987d8e2012dbf25ebc9445a.jpg