Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Of course Daniel Stern offers relay harnesses , basic or custom.

I've never seen how the factory harness is so I can't guess how to make a plug and play one. My personal habit is to remove as much 40 year old wire as I can though.

0119191318a.jpg.48c7ac765adb89df3333128d09d1c804.jpg

This was the mess that I inherited. Honorable mentions of the yellow home extension cord that I think had something to do with the brake lights, and the bare metal wire that ran all the way from the battery negative to the trailer plug at the back.

What features are you looking for Gary?

I'd like a plug to go into the factory harness, and most do that. But I'd also like an auto-reset circuit breaker so you won't be left in the dark with a temp fault. Having said that, I guess two fuses are better than one since maybe the fault will be with either the high or low beam wiring and you at least have the other.

Plus I'd like standard Bosch relays. So far all of the ones appear to have proprietary relays. Here's what I've found, and this is for my SiL/tjmac so I'm just doing the research.

• LMC: $24.95 36-3580-F Don’t see a fuse in this on, much less a circuit breaker

• Amazon: $20 Don’t particularly like this one as it has a fuse, not a circuit breaker, and a single fuse at that

These aren't 'proprietary' relays.

They are just a modern standard form factor.

I have the LMC version, and while I wouldn't say it's "top shelf" it's been getting the job done for a LONG time.

I had one relay go bad from rust (because I mounted them sideways :nabble_smiley_blush:)

But I just swapped high for low and kept driving.

I bought a pair of replacements and the spare lives in my glovebox.

Mine are individually fused, but I could see getting auto reset breakers.

These aren't 'proprietary' relays.

They are just a modern standard form factor.

I have the LMC version, and while I wouldn't say it's "top shelf" it's been getting the job done for a LONG time.

I had one relay go bad from rust (because I mounted them sideways :nabble_smiley_blush:)

But I just swapped high for low and kept driving.

I bought a pair of replacements and the spare lives in my glovebox.

Mine are individually fused, but I could see getting auto reset breakers.

Yeah those look like the standard relays you get anywhere. They're the same style as the ones I use, except mine have water proof pigtails with them.

I've always heard to only mount relays vertical, but never had an explanation why.

Edit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074FSZWVT

These ones actually

Of course Daniel Stern offers relay harnesses , basic or custom.

Yes. You know I thought of that. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But just couldn't recommend to TJ that he spend that much money. I'm sure Daniel's harnii are better than anything that can be bought elsewhere, but TJ has so many things he needs to do to this truck that'll cost a fair bit of money that I think a lesser-quality harness will be adequate - and be a big improvement over what he has.

For instance, the truck has wide wheels and tires on it, and that coupled with a worn out sector box has him chasing it down the road. (I followed him home for 60 miles.) Not sure what he's going to do about the wheels and tires, but pretty sure he's going to replace the sector box, and that'll cost quite a bit - but make a huge difference.

But just couldn't recommend to TJ that he spend that much money. I'm sure Daniel's harnii are better than anything that can be bought elsewhere, but TJ has so many things he needs to do to this truck that'll cost a fair bit of money that I think a lesser-quality harness will be adequate - and be a big improvement over what he has.

For instance, the truck has wide wheels and tires on it, and that coupled with a worn out sector box has him chasing it down the road. (I followed him home for 60 miles.) Not sure what he's going to do about the wheels and tires, but pretty sure he's going to replace the sector box, and that'll cost quite a bit - but make a huge difference.

Here's the LMC harness and the relay sockets latch into the relays. Can that socket connect to a standard Bosch relay?

And, are there any fuses? I don't see them but maybe I'm missing them?

LMC_Relay_Harness.jpg.97e789a4cb836b8a1d12be5f5e852c0d.jpg

I'm not trying to spend his money... :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

You asked who would have the features and quality you want....

Daniel Stern's relay harness @ $99 is still $50 less than the 'Painful' "kit"!

I'm sure the breaker upgrade would only be the cost differential between them and fuse holders.

Here's the LMC harness and the relay sockets latch into the relays. Can that socket connect to a standard Bosch relay?

And, are there any fuses? I don't see them but maybe I'm missing them?

I modified my harness when I installed the little PDC box a few years back.

So high and low are fused and relayed in there (regular cube relays and the same fuses as the truck)

IIRC at first I just spliced inline ATC fuse holders in place of those brass ring terminals

I'm not trying to spend his money... http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif

You asked who would have the features and quality you want....

Daniel Stern's relay harness @ $99 is still $50 less than the 'Painful' "kit"!

I'm sure the breaker upgrade would only be the cost differential between them and fuse holders.

Gary this is what the bottom of these relays looks like, they're used all over in automotive and I even see them in industrial use sometimes. I think it might be what you're thinking of with the Bosch ones, they're just made by lots of companies.

20230605_142358.jpg.c6b85c2ec3d211979d411c448acd817a.jpg

Gary this is what the bottom of these relays looks like, they're used all over in automotive and I even see them in industrial use sometimes. I think it might be what you're thinking of with the Bosch ones, they're just made by lots of companies.

That looks like a standard 'Bosch' relay with 87A (NC)

Be aware that ones for more than 30A will come with larger 30 & 87 spades.

That looks like a standard 'Bosch' relay with 87A (NC)

Be aware that ones for more than 30A will come with larger 30 & 87 spades.

The one on the right is actually 40a. I always grab the 5 pin for the rare time the nc contact is needed, like the marker lamps today.