Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Good luck on the rack and pinion system. Hope it does the trick.

And any progress is good on your truck when you have other things to deal with.

Steering is something I've luckily never had to mess with. I finally have the lights all wired and working. Side marker and white switchback are on with main power, then both also function as turn signals. High and low beam work, and when my switches show up this weekend I'll run the rigid lights off one of them.

20230605_121845.jpg.c2fbe69320499cdade259a19f57f7703.jpg

20230605_121419.jpg.0bdaf30fd2d74cc4af24b37433c1c7f6.jpg

Steering is something I've luckily never had to mess with. I finally have the lights all wired and working. Side marker and white switchback are on with main power, then both also function as turn signals. High and low beam work, and when my switches show up this weekend I'll run the rigid lights off one of them.

I did that relay setup on mine, really improved the lighting visibility, thanks to Gary for posting the schematic, and parts list.

Bill

I did that relay setup on mine, really improved the lighting visibility, thanks to Gary for posting the schematic, and parts list.

Bill

I haven't seen how that one's done. I had to wire all of it from scratch as none of it worked when I got it. The third(and unseen fourth) relay is just for the side marker light to function as a turn signal and drl. Both side markers actually have their own 40 amp relay lol. Absolute overkill but it's what I had on hand.

Bill

Bill - Which harness did you use? Or did you make your own.

Tjmac should do that to his '83, but I've not found one that I really like. Maybe someone knows of one?

I haven't seen how that one's done. I had to wire all of it from scratch as none of it worked when I got it. The third(and unseen fourth) relay is just for the side marker light to function as a turn signal and drl. Both side markers actually have their own 40 amp relay lol. Absolute overkill but it's what I had on hand.

We have a page (Documentation/Electrical/Lighting/Headlight Relay Harness) that discusses it, but there's no schematic on that page. However there's a link to a good how-to back on FTE. I did it pretty much as he outlined, with two exceptions - I didn't cut the stock wiring and I used a single auto-reset 20A circuit breaker instead of two 20A fuses.

On the wiring, I used male 1/4" spade terminals to make a makeshift connector to plug into the factory connector that went to the passenger-side headlight, and used that as my connection to get the high & low trigger signals. And my thinking on the circuit breaker was that I wanted it to came back on automatically if there was a temp fault.

Bill - Which harness did you use? Or did you make your own.

Tjmac should do that to his '83, but I've not found one that I really like. Maybe someone knows of one?

I can't see doing it plug and play, and actually haven't seen it done like this before, but I can draw out the diagram sometime. The basics of it is the side marker gets power from the normally closed contact of the relay. When the turn signal comes on, the power goes to the signal bulb and also activates the relay, causing the normally closed contacts to open. That's why they're alternating when they flash, the front turn signal coming on is what turns off the side marker.

If you don't want the side marker on all the time and only want it to function as a turn signal that's as simple as moving the power lead of the side marker to the power lead of the turn signal. You could also have it be on with headlights and a signal if you use the relay and get the power feed for it from the headlights.

I can't see doing it plug and play, and actually haven't seen it done like this before, but I can draw out the diagram sometime. The basics of it is the side marker gets power from the normally closed contact of the relay. When the turn signal comes on, the power goes to the signal bulb and also activates the relay, causing the normally closed contacts to open. That's why they're alternating when they flash, the front turn signal coming on is what turns off the side marker.

If you don't want the side marker on all the time and only want it to function as a turn signal that's as simple as moving the power lead of the side marker to the power lead of the turn signal. You could also have it be on with headlights and a signal if you use the relay and get the power feed for it from the headlights.

Oh I love adding circuit breakers lol. The fuse block on the driver side feeding all of this is run off a 100amp circuit breaker with the feeder cable running through the radiator support. I would like a much smaller breaker in the future but I had a spare from the blazer.

What features are you looking for Gary?

I'd like a plug to go into the factory harness, and most do that. But I'd also like an auto-reset circuit breaker so you won't be left in the dark with a temp fault. Having said that, I guess two fuses are better than one since maybe the fault will be with either the high or low beam wiring and you at least have the other.

Plus I'd like standard Bosch relays. So far all of the ones appear to have proprietary relays. Here's what I've found, and this is for my SiL/tjmac so I'm just doing the research.

• LMC: $24.95 36-3580-F Don’t see a fuse in this on, much less a circuit breaker

• Amazon: $20 Don’t particularly like this one as it has a fuse, not a circuit breaker, and a single fuse at that