Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Mat - Might you have a vacuum leak?

As for what I've done to my truck today, I finished the detailing, took pics, changed the oil & filter, and straightened the bumper. Feeling pretty good about it. Here are some pics, with the last pair being before and after of Back To Black. The left pic shows where I treated one spot and then left it overnight.

oh it definitely had a vacuum leak and a blown power valve and cruddy internals.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mat - I'm wondering if you still have a vacuum leak if it won't idle down.

Jeff - Well done!

I have not even gotten to the shop to try yet. the carb is rebuilt and, in my truck, waiting for me to get free to go back to the shop and install it. confusing I know, too many trucks. ok . carb for number eleven is in the floor of number one. number eleven is at the remote shop with number ten because nine, eight and seven are in my home shop, leaving number one out in the drive . sad !

I have not even gotten to the shop to try yet. the carb is rebuilt and, in my truck, waiting for me to get free to go back to the shop and install it. confusing I know, too many trucks. ok . carb for number eleven is in the floor of number one. number eleven is at the remote shop with number ten because nine, eight and seven are in my home shop, leaving number one out in the drive . sad !

I was able to get to the shop today and install the rebuilt 2150. it worked perfectly! after a little warm up I tuned a little at the idle air mixture screws and will most likely do it again after a week or so of driving. I was not able to drive today due to two others being in the center access. blocked in. so later.

although we did get a chance to break in a project today. we have an old school hotrod that came in for what else but a bad miss that turned out to be a wiped camshaft and defective lifter. it has been a back shelf project throughout the winter, and we completely rebuilt the engine and converted it from three speed to a c4. this thing was a death trap as a manual. jalopy with a shine. it's an heirloom car so I hated to change anything but safety and reliability concerns. but we were able to break in the engine and all seemed to go very well after a little carb set up. a good cam break-in procedure followed and fingers crossed no complications.

I was able to get to the shop today and install the rebuilt 2150. it worked perfectly! after a little warm up I tuned a little at the idle air mixture screws and will most likely do it again after a week or so of driving. I was not able to drive today due to two others being in the center access. blocked in. so later.

although we did get a chance to break in a project today. we have an old school hotrod that came in for what else but a bad miss that turned out to be a wiped camshaft and defective lifter. it has been a back shelf project throughout the winter, and we completely rebuilt the engine and converted it from three speed to a c4. this thing was a death trap as a manual. jalopy with a shine. it's an heirloom car so I hated to change anything but safety and reliability concerns. but we were able to break in the engine and all seemed to go very well after a little carb set up. a good cam break-in procedure followed and fingers crossed no complications.

My Dodge isn't supposed to be a project vehicle. It's supposed to be a truck to use while my F-250 is a project vehicle. I don't expect to actually start on the F-250 until at least late this summer. But in the mean time I need to do enough to the Dodge to let me use it.

The first step was getting the cross-bed tool box out and putting a topper on it. We put the dogs (in their kennels) in the back when we go to the lake. I need a topper with side windows that open for ventilation for that. A local company sells used toppers, so I was able to not pay for a new topper, but I wasn't able to pick my color. Still, I think I did OK. It's in good shape, has the required screened windows. And the silver isn't a bad complement to the dark gray (in fact, it was the color Lesley would have chosen).

IMG_20230415_104234824.jpg.507551acf7e96a365fa93b49d6d415f5.jpg

I think the remaining list is a rubber bed mat (so stuff doesn't slide around, the spray-in bedliner it has is SLIPPERY) and wiring to the topper (at least power for the electric cooler we use when going to the lake, and I should hook up the third brake light). A "maybe" on the list is a front receiver. I definitely need one, but I need to decide if the one on the Bronco is good enough. It would mean needing to bring the Bronco to the lake when it's time to put the boats in or take them out. But it might be worth it to not have to put a front receiver on the Dodge.

(continuing the Dodge's saga)

Been using the 86 a fair amount lately now that the weather is good for some yard projects and possible future projects :nabble_smiley_wink:PXL_20230402_201946657.jpg.b3ca0b7a46e05d3449191b95f748ba61.jpg

My Dodge isn't supposed to be a project vehicle. It's supposed to be a truck to use while my F-250 is a project vehicle. I don't expect to actually start on the F-250 until at least late this summer. But in the mean time I need to do enough to the Dodge to let me use it.

The first step was getting the cross-bed tool box out and putting a topper on it. We put the dogs (in their kennels) in the back when we go to the lake. I need a topper with side windows that open for ventilation for that. A local company sells used toppers, so I was able to not pay for a new topper, but I wasn't able to pick my color. Still, I think I did OK. It's in good shape, has the required screened windows. And the silver isn't a bad complement to the dark gray (in fact, it was the color Lesley would have chosen).

I think the remaining list is a rubber bed mat (so stuff doesn't slide around, the spray-in bedliner it has is SLIPPERY) and wiring to the topper (at least power for the electric cooler we use when going to the lake, and I should hook up the third brake light). A "maybe" on the list is a front receiver. I definitely need one, but I need to decide if the one on the Bronco is good enough. It would mean needing to bring the Bronco to the lake when it's time to put the boats in or take them out. But it might be worth it to not have to put a front receiver on the Dodge.

(continuing the Dodge's saga)

I really like the silver/dk grey combo!

I really like the silver/dk grey combo!

I changed my valve cover gaskets today. Passenger side was starting to leak on the back side. I looked over my valve stem seals best I could and they're all still pressed down, and I saw puddles of oil on top of every seal. You'd think if the stem seals were leaking those puddles would disappear, but they didn't. I also pulled the driver's side sparkplugs and found cylinder 1 and 2 sparkplugs to be a bit oily. I put my borescope down cylinder 1 and noticed the cylinder walls looked really wet and the bottom half of the piston was a little wet with oil, but the top half was dry looking. I didn't bother looking at the driver side sparkplugs after seeing that. I think combined with the bit of blowby it has developed at around the same time this weird intermittent blue smoke started and the 1 quart every 1000 or so miles of consumption it now has I'd say the rings in this thing are getting a bit tired. Oh well, must be getting time to build a 408w stroker for it.

342673184_702060618357969_4286123815533506342_n.jpg.5b2b02f7cba3714897f81726adff9c22.jpg

342708046_909365336816502_4558112358723214568_n.jpg.e09f66c9a1d0413a4977fea15d1419d5.jpg

342673099_3498887707012267_1101696026619548419_n.jpg.7c2a898ed4133077bdaca2431cdd9b73.jpg

I've run this same heat range of sparkplugs ever since I put my aluminum heads on, and they always looked spotlessly clean except for this time. It doesn't run overly or abnormally rich on the AFR gauge, either.

they will fit. they have slightly different lines, and the vent windows are different, but they will fit the cab.

The very bottom line is barely noticeable, but I don't notice it at all when I look at pictures of 95-97 trucks so I won't notice it on this truck either. I'm not sure what I will do with the vent windows, as I have 1980-1986 vent windows and door glass, but I don't think they're in the best shape. I haven't looked at the aeronose ones very close, but if they're in better shape, there's no point in swapping them out. I'm not worried about how it looks on this farm truck that's taking forever to build.

Replaced the distributor after changing out a bad TFI module, and a rather roached looking original fuel pump relay, shown after breaking the Ford cap off it . Tomorrow will warm it up, remove SPOUT connector then start it and set timing

005.jpg.858b78c9bd52d8b5d84c8fa70e478541.jpg