Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Jeff - It looks like it'll work quite well. :nabble_anim_claps:

As for WHIDTMTT, I washed it as best I could with what time I had and got it ready for the show tomorrow. And along the way I checked out the A/C system and discovered that there's no refrigerant in the system. Nada. So BB has a date with the Mechanix shop on Tuesday. Hopefully the third time is truly the charm. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Wrapped the door strikers in tape to fix the rattle, gonna find replacement assemblies soon. Apparently it's supposed to have a rubber seal in there too, who knew? Innovaspeed door panels are on, once my blazer is done with the engine swap I'll probably start on a new dash for the Ford

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wrapped the door strikers in tape to fix the rattle, gonna find replacement assemblies soon. Apparently it's supposed to have a rubber seal in there too, who knew? Innovaspeed door panels are on, once my blazer is done with the engine swap I'll probably start on a new dash for the Ford

well not exactly my truck. my brother finally got one of his own. now we are resurrecting it for his daily backup. I'm expecting him to be looking in here and possibly joining. I'm happy because I have not seen him so excited about a truck / car like this in a quarter century or more. today we diagnosed the non-working fuel gauge and sure enough the issue is the sender. the fuel and tank are nasty. impressive that it runs at all. once we have it back running/reading on the rear we will change the front. hopefully tomorrow.

well not exactly my truck. my brother finally got one of his own. now we are resurrecting it for his daily backup. I'm expecting him to be looking in here and possibly joining. I'm happy because I have not seen him so excited about a truck / car like this in a quarter century or more. today we diagnosed the non-working fuel gauge and sure enough the issue is the sender. the fuel and tank are nasty. impressive that it runs at all. once we have it back running/reading on the rear we will change the front. hopefully tomorrow.

I'm sorry if I missed it Mat, what truck did your brother get?

I took the truck to work today. For the past year or so I've noticed if I let the truck sit for a few days then drive it, the exhaust steam gives off this bright blue color after it runs for a minute, but it does not smell like oil at all and it dissipates just as fast as steam does. This will go away less than a mile down the road. Anyone else experienced this? if I drive it every day it doesn't seem to do it. Every engine I've ever seen that needed valve stem seals puffed out a cloud that lingered around for a while. Kinda have a hard time believing it needs valve stem seals, the heads only have like 14,000 miles on them from brand new. It doesn't consume much oil either, maybe 1 quart every 1000 miles at the worst. Shift modulator is new, so it's not sucking ATF and burning it.

1986 xlt lb 4x4 with 5.0 and aod. we got the rear tank assembly in today along with replacing the poly line disconnects. one broke when dropping the tank. the truck runs amazingly well and its quiet. no odd noises whatsoever. planning on going through the steering in a few months as I could detect a little wear in the lower ball joints but aside from a bit of rust repair it's on the road in less than five days time. all good.

1986 xlt lb 4x4 with 5.0 and aod. we got the rear tank assembly in today along with replacing the poly line disconnects. one broke when dropping the tank. the truck runs amazingly well and its quiet. no odd noises whatsoever. planning on going through the steering in a few months as I could detect a little wear in the lower ball joints but aside from a bit of rust repair it's on the road in less than five days time. all good.

Today, I got a really good deal, at least for my area. I got two full roller block 5.0L from 1992 F150s on Facebook Marketplace! $300 for the two! I have been looking for one of these for cheap to start a good engine build for a replacement bronco engine eventually, and I ended up getting two of them for less than others are selling one for around here.

A lot of my "car guy" contacts have move out of the area, or have retired and are no longer wheeling and dealing in old Ford parts. I'm about the oldest and most stable Ford guy in my circle now, so finding really good deals is kinda rare for me.

Cool, sounds nice!

Today, I got a really good deal, at least for my area. I got two full roller block 5.0L from 1992 F150s on Facebook Marketplace! $300 for the two! I have been looking for one of these for cheap to start a good engine build for a replacement bronco engine eventually, and I ended up getting two of them for less than others are selling one for around here.

A lot of my "car guy" contacts have move out of the area, or have retired and are no longer wheeling and dealing in old Ford parts. I'm about the oldest and most stable Ford guy in my circle now, so finding really good deals is kinda rare for me.

What a deal! Nice find!

I took the truck to work today. For the past year or so I've noticed if I let the truck sit for a few days then drive it, the exhaust steam gives off this bright blue color after it runs for a minute, but it does not smell like oil at all and it dissipates just as fast as steam does. This will go away less than a mile down the road. Anyone else experienced this? if I drive it every day it doesn't seem to do it. Every engine I've ever seen that needed valve stem seals puffed out a cloud that lingered around for a while. Kinda have a hard time believing it needs valve stem seals, the heads only have like 14,000 miles on them from brand new. It doesn't consume much oil either, maybe 1 quart every 1000 miles at the worst. Shift modulator is new, so it's not sucking ATF and burning it.

I can't imagine what it could be that causes a bright blue color in the exhaust but isn't oil. On the other hand, I agree that it shouldn't be valve stem seals with only 14K miles on them. Unless one came off?

Have you checked the PVC valve? Perhaps it is plugged? (I'm grasping at straws.)

I can't imagine what it could be that causes a bright blue color in the exhaust but isn't oil. On the other hand, I agree that it shouldn't be valve stem seals with only 14K miles on them. Unless one came off?

Have you checked the PVC valve? Perhaps it is plugged? (I'm grasping at straws.)

There are only 3 things in an engine that can cause blueish smoke:

1. Oil. Could be caused by valves, head gasket, or piston ring failure. Possible causes of oil-smoke that goes away after a while is piston rings that seal up after the engine warms up. It only comes back after a cold start.

2. Fuel. Un-combusted fuel due to a bad air-fuel-ratio can cause a dissipating "steam smoke" in the exhaust. A cause of it showing up then disappearing would be ECU-and-temperature-related AFR adjustment. When the engine warms up a bit, the computer adjusts the idle and AFR, and the problem is corrected, so the smoke stops.

3. Coolant. There are a few places on an EFI 5.0L that coolant could get in. Head gasket, intake gasket, and I think there is a coolant leakable area on the throttle body. A cause of this steam disappearing after a while would be that there is just enough coolant pressure to force some into the wrong place until the thermostat opens up, which relieves some of that pressure, causing it to no longer have coolant in the combustion chamber shortly after starting.

That said, all of those possibilities have a very distinctive smell to them, and the smell test should give it away fairly quickly.