Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I've used that method to dismount some tires. But I've also run into tires so old and hard I couldn't get them off that way and had to use a sawsall.

I had one that was really tough to get off. It broke two of my cheap straps, and I had to resort to a larger strap. I also sprayed around the bead with PB blaster and then repeated the process with the jack. But every few minutes I would turn the tire about 45 degrees and try again. That finally started to move the bead and it eventually gave way.

I saw no reason for it to be that way, I'm just guessing the rubber around the bead hardened to a point where it wouldn't go easily. I was probably about 20 minutes away from cutting that tire off.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've used that method to dismount some tires. But I've also run into tires so old and hard I couldn't get them off that way and had to use a sawsall.

I had one that was really tough to get off. It broke two of my cheap straps, and I had to resort to a larger strap. I also sprayed around the bead with PB blaster and then repeated the process with the jack. But every few minutes I would turn the tire about 45 degrees and try again. That finally started to move the bead and it eventually gave way.

I saw no reason for it to be that way, I'm just guessing the rubber around the bead hardened to a point where it wouldn't go easily. I was probably about 20 minutes away from cutting that tire off.

Bill - It is cool that it was in that owner's manual. :nabble_smiley_good:

That method works with tires that are reasonably pliable. On the '50 Chevy pickup I have the tires had been on for probably 30 years, and the truck was sitting in the sun in a field. There was no flex in the tires at all and when we winched the truck onto the trailer the flat spots stayed FLAT. Boy, was it hard to winch when two or more hit the ground at the same time.

So while I was able to get the beads to break loose I couldn't pry the bead over the rim on one tire. My fear was that I was going to bend the rim, so I ultimately had to cut the tire. But that steel cord was really, really tough to cut.

Bill - It is cool that it was in that owner's manual. :nabble_smiley_good:

That method works with tires that are reasonably pliable. On the '50 Chevy pickup I have the tires had been on for probably 30 years, and the truck was sitting in the sun in a field. There was no flex in the tires at all and when we winched the truck onto the trailer the flat spots stayed FLAT. Boy, was it hard to winch when two or more hit the ground at the same time.

So while I was able to get the beads to break loose I couldn't pry the bead over the rim on one tire. My fear was that I was going to bend the rim, so I ultimately had to cut the tire. But that steel cord was really, really tough to cut.

I have done my share of the bumper jack method over the years and I still will if needed but I hope I can stay on the side of having then stripped down before restoring them. although I have considered buying or building a bead breaker for this. I'm getting a collection of wheels to restore soon.

I have done my share of the bumper jack method over the years and I still will if needed but I hope I can stay on the side of having then stripped down before restoring them. although I have considered buying or building a bead breaker for this. I'm getting a collection of wheels to restore soon.

Gary, I forgot to mention that I did the PB blaster thing, push on it til you get a little gap, spray and let the pressure off, that seems to force the blaster under the bead.

You need what happened to me. A friend left a Coats 10-10 tire machine on my driveway in Newport News and said if he didn't come back in a year it was mine to keep. It has the wire wheel adapters along with a few other items I also acquired is a wheel balancer. It's issue was a bad sensor on a circuit board and the drive system pivot was rusted slightly so it wouldn't spin up properly.

You need what happened to me. A friend left a Coats 10-10 tire machine on my driveway in Newport News and said if he didn't come back in a year it was mine to keep. It has the wire wheel adapters along with a few other items I also acquired is a wheel balancer. It's issue was a bad sensor on a circuit board and the drive system pivot was rusted slightly so it wouldn't spin up properly.

i have a corner picked out already

i have a corner picked out already

Me too, Matt. :nabble_smiley_good:

I got Covid for the second time this week so I was home for the last 5 days. Luckily just head cold symtoms. Add to that a rare week of 50+ degree weather in February and I got a ton of body work done on Sheppard. Only spots left will require patch panels. I'm going to try the glue method of attaching them. Anyone have any experience/advice in that method?

20230215_155550.jpg.f8918f118daee288a11622460d2f2c4a.jpg20230215_155542.jpg.00644fa18376eaed8ac03e83beac0c45.jpg20230215_155532.jpg.3a607263a803687bba159d814b370166.jpg20230214_112337.jpg.a35d79dd4425c59f66a728e95bca1aaf.jpg

I got Covid for the second time this week so I was home for the last 5 days. Luckily just head cold symtoms. Add to that a rare week of 50+ degree weather in February and I got a ton of body work done on Sheppard. Only spots left will require patch panels. I'm going to try the glue method of attaching them. Anyone have any experience/advice in that method?

Bummer on getting COVID again. Sounds like the same symptoms I had, but it took weeks before I was fully back up to speed.

Anyway, glad you have used the time to get things done.