Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Jonathan - I think it is a good idea to capture it, but wonder if we shouldn't clear that with gentleman first. I realize that we've captured it in the forum, but placing it on a web page seems different somehow.

And, thinking about where to put it, what about creating another tab called something like "Tips" on the ZF5 page in Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/ZF5?

David - Would you ask him if that's ok?

He said, "yes" and provided the following, hoping it will be of assistance.

https://www.globaltransmissionsupply.com/pdf/transmissions/zf-transmission-zf-s5-47-troubleshooting-guide.pdf

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jonathan - I think it is a good idea to capture it, but wonder if we shouldn't clear that with gentleman first. I realize that we've captured it in the forum, but placing it on a web page seems different somehow.

And, thinking about where to put it, what about creating another tab called something like "Tips" on the ZF5 page in Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/ZF5?

David - Would you ask him if that's ok?

He said, "yes" and provided the following, hoping it will be of assistance.

https://www.globaltransmissionsupply.com/pdf/transmissions/zf-transmission-zf-s5-47-troubleshooting-guide.pdf

Please tell him thanks. I put his whole message on a new tab on the page Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/ZF5. But, I already had the troubleshooting manual on that page. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Please tell him thanks. I put his whole message on a new tab on the page Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/ZF5. But, I already had the troubleshooting manual on that page. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I haven't done anything to my truck recently as I have been away, but these knives popped up in my Instagram feed the other day. Where is that Cutlery section again Gary??>..lol.

http://www.greateasterncutlery.com/farm-field-bullnose-11-15/

16464237_767753606706418_8108785821194125312_n.jpg.a29910d2d435ec25e1144e220ccec9f4.jpg

You can start a thread on Bullnose Cutlery. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But those look sweet.

Nothing major accomplished lately. Replaced a pretty fouled PCV valve the other day as well as change out the air filter. Installed a solar battery tender that suctions to the windshield. Ordered a carb rebuild kit from Mike's Carb Parts (that'll be a September project I think).

Hoping that I can do plugs and wires this weekend and maybe squeeze in an oil change (and send an oil sample off to Blackstone Labs for analysis - see if anything is leaking/fouling the oil).

Nothing major accomplished lately. Replaced a pretty fouled PCV valve the other day as well as change out the air filter. Installed a solar battery tender that suctions to the windshield. Ordered a carb rebuild kit from Mike's Carb Parts (that'll be a September project I think).

Hoping that I can do plugs and wires this weekend and maybe squeeze in an oil change (and send an oil sample off to Blackstone Labs for analysis - see if anything is leaking/fouling the oil).

Same thing here. Just driving Big Blue and enjoying him - in what little time I have available.

Same thing here. Just driving Big Blue and enjoying him - in what little time I have available.

I replaced the Spectra Premium front-tank sending unit today, the float had totally come off:

Spectra_Premium_sending_unit.thumb.jpg.2924a2ab41204b84fadc25d40652fbe3.jpg

I'm hoping to take this truck to Podunk next month, knowing how much gas I have left will be a lot less stressful.

early-august-18.jpg.866f56d093b86e442b36046c68eaaf57.jpg

I replaced the Spectra Premium front-tank sending unit today, the float had totally come off:

I'm hoping to take this truck to Podunk next month, knowing how much gas I have left will be a lot less stressful.

Cool, Chris. That should help bunches toward being comfortable. Running out on the interstate won't be fun nor safe.

Do you know your calibration code? Or is there a tag on the carb? I ask because I'm curious if yours is a high-altitude carb. If so it'll lean out down here, which might help your MPG or it might cause pinging. Anyway, if you know then I'll look. If not, I'll see if I can figure it out.

Also, what initial timing are you running?

Replaced the right exhaust manifold and gasket. When I first got the EFI disassembled from a junk yard, the exhaust manifolds had either broken or stripped and even one missing a stud for the pipes. When I bought the 1990 F250 for parts, I used the manifolds from those heads. I had always suspected they might be warped, so when the right side started leaking, I pulled one of the ones from the junkyard out and checked it, nice and straight so I put a new set of studs in and wirebrushed the gasket face. For some reason, I didn't have to fight with the bolts to get them started this time, every one of them went in easily, and I do not have portions of the port flange interfering with the spark plug socket.

If any body asks, it is not a fun job, but in 24 years of owning Darth, I have learned to remove the inner fender so 5 of the 8 bolts can be reached from there.

Replaced the right exhaust manifold and gasket. When I first got the EFI disassembled from a junk yard, the exhaust manifolds had either broken or stripped and even one missing a stud for the pipes. When I bought the 1990 F250 for parts, I used the manifolds from those heads. I had always suspected they might be warped, so when the right side started leaking, I pulled one of the ones from the junkyard out and checked it, nice and straight so I put a new set of studs in and wirebrushed the gasket face. For some reason, I didn't have to fight with the bolts to get them started this time, every one of them went in easily, and I do not have portions of the port flange interfering with the spark plug socket.

If any body asks, it is not a fun job, but in 24 years of owning Darth, I have learned to remove the inner fender so 5 of the 8 bolts can be reached from there.

Bill - Do you check with a straight edge? Are you checking for twists or just bowing? I have the manifolds off Huck, the 1990 half-truck, so need to check them.

And, if they are warped is there any reason not to have them milled? Or, maybe I can fly-cut them on my mill? (Hmmm, that might be a problem in trying to bolt them down.)

And, you reminded me that I need to call Just Stainless back. They called on Thursday and needed to confirm details of my order, which includes exhaust manifold bolts. Thanks! :nabble_smiley_good: