Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

And that engine ended up in Rusty, or Brownie? or where???

Scott also says that the XE-262-h can be used in a 460 and it is a blast to drive, but that you have to watch how much compression you have.

I've got a Torino/Cougar fanatic buddy who moved to Florida.

He probably has a few pair of regular 429-460 heads in addition to his

motherlode of PI/CJ/SCJ/SOC heads.

Have you ever seen the internals of a genuine Holman-Moody Talladega

engine? (Yeah, he's that nuts.....)

I would be real happy with any regular C8, C9, or D0VE-C heads to do a

little rubbing on.

That engine went into the 1982 F150 Explorer, which was then sold soon thereafter. Still had the Motorcraft 2bbl but ran like it had a 4bbl and was still winding strong at 5000 RPM.

I haven't seen the inside of a Holman-Moody engine. The closest I've been to one was the Cobalt boat my brother had. The valve covers proclaimed it was one of theirs, and we believe it. With the stock prop it would just spin from idle if you nailed it, and at 30 it would take the steering wheel away from you if you nailed it. He wound up with a Michigan Wheel prop they called an "elephant ear", and it tamed it. But then it would take the rope away from skiers. 😳

I'm uneducated on big block heads, but I'm anxious to learn. Bring it on!

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

385 series engines started in 1968.

Ethyl Hi-test 97 was available everywhere and the early C8, C9 & D0VE-C heads had small chambers and rail rockers but regular sized ports.

D3 heads have bolt down rockers, big thermactor humps in the exhaust ports and a bigger chamber.

Early engines also had a .022 lower deck height.

Cutting block AND head costs more $ and results in needing custom pushrods.

With dove heads I can deck the block, use stock pistons and pushrods to come in around 9-9.5:1 and have good quench.

Guides and spring seats may need to be cut, depending on the cam chosen.

I liked the XE256H I put in that 351W that we colluded on the valve swirling, head porting, etc. Would turn the tires from idle w/a C6 and 3.50's. But I don't know anything about it for a 460.

Damn Jim, that air filter looks familiar. Valve covers look nice on there! I do hope your ticking noise isn't the 460 curse, leaking around an exhaust port.

385 series engines started in 1968.

Ethyl Hi-test 97 was available everywhere and the early C8, C9 & D0VE-C heads had small chambers and rail rockers but regular sized ports.

D3 heads have bolt down rockers, big thermactor humps in the exhaust ports and a bigger chamber.

Early engines also had a .022 lower deck height.

Cutting block AND head costs more $ and results in needing custom pushrods.

With dove heads I can deck the block, use stock pistons and pushrods to come in around 9-9.5:1 and have good quench.

Guides and spring seats may need to be cut, depending on the cam chosen.

Thanks for the info. 👍

Are there different D0VE heads? You mentioned -C heads, so are they the preferred ones?

And that compression ratio with good quench should make a strong engine. I'll be following along. 😉

Damn Jim, that air filter looks familiar. Valve covers look nice on there! I do hope your ticking noise isn't the 460 curse, leaking around an exhaust port.

Bill,

I replaced the gaskets within the past year and spent 1/2 hour feeling around for leaks (until I burned my wrist/hand too many many times)

Everything looked real good and the bolts were tight when i torched the spiders out last week.

I may try to find someone with a smoke machine I can plug into the tailpipe.

Thanks for the info. 👍

Are there different D0VE heads? You mentioned -C heads, so are they the preferred ones?

And that compression ratio with good quench should make a strong engine. I'll be following along. 😉

There are more heads than I could ever know.

But I do know that the one year only low compression open chamber D2VE heads were the worst for detonation.

I'm so used to hearing the story of 'the one that got away'

"Oh yeah, I junked one of those last year."

"I used to know a guy.. but he's dead and his wife threw all his **** out"

I'm going to have to make an effort to find a place for the better of these two efi engines (30k miles!)and get my hands on some heads to work over.

But I do know that the one year only low compression open chamber D2VE heads were the worst for detonation.

I'm going to have to make an effort to find a place for the better of these two efi engines (30k miles!)and get my hands on some heads to work over.

Thanks. I hope you are going to document what you do so we can follow along.

Jim, I don't know if you do Facebook, but there are a couple of 460 groups on there. I an an admin on one of them. Good sources of parts and information. (Gary Lewis maybe you should look for them now that you have joined the club).

Thanks. I hope you are going to document what you do so we can follow along.

I just got to thinking.

EFI pistons have much less dish than the carb truck pistons.

I wonder what my static cr would be with D3VE heads and a decked EFI short block?

Would the valve angles/pockets work?

I don't do Facebook.

Don't want to know anything about the people who want to know me or any of my family