Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Cool! They are pretty. Maybe next year you can bring them - in an engine, and providing power?Hmmm, the text box is bigger than the screen. Have you noticed that? Do I need to reduce the image size from 95 to 90%? It looks like about 6 to 10 characters are off to the right.

I'm not sure about the image size Gary, I can see all of it in landscape mode on my phone, but I do notice the pictures are not fully justified to the left where the text starts. I also do not see this reply in the thread, but maybe it will show eventually. This is my first try at replying by email.

And yes! That would be a cool goal to arrive by diesel power next year! 😎

On Sep 2, 2017, at 11:12 AM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cool! They are pretty. Maybe next year you can bring them - in an engine, and providing power?

Hmmm, the text box is bigger than the screen. Have you noticed that? Do I need to reduce the image size from 95 to 90%? It looks like about 6 to 10 characters are off to the right.

I didn't do anything *to* my truck today, but I did go buy oil, a filter, and a brass plug for where the egr temp valve fits in the waterneck.

Yesterday I did have the truck up to about 95-100 and the carb seems ok (although the truck is down on power)

I have two people trying to give me efi 460's, but I don't have room to strip them to the short block, can't use the heads, intake or timing case.... so.

Also neither has a dipstick.

I spent over an hour trying to get an o-ring to seal mine and it's p!$$!#@ me off.

I also imagine my oil pan gasket looks about like my valve cover gaskets did.

Engine out operation for that!

I may as well just find another and freshen it up.

Cam recommendations?

I'll do some grinding if I can find the right engine to work on.

I didn't do anything *to* my truck today, but I did go buy oil, a filter, and a brass plug for where the egr temp valve fits in the waterneck.

Yesterday I did have the truck up to about 95-100 and the carb seems ok (although the truck is down on power)

I have two people trying to give me efi 460's, but I don't have room to strip them to the short block, can't use the heads, intake or timing case.... so.

Also neither has a dipstick.

I spent over an hour trying to get an o-ring to seal mine and it's p!$$!#@ me off.

I also imagine my oil pan gasket looks about like my valve cover gaskets did.

Engine out operation for that!

I may as well just find another and freshen it up.

Cam recommendations?

I'll do some grinding if I can find the right engine to work on.

Big Blue is running the Edelbrock cam. I've read where people say it isn't enough cam, but it'll pull well from idle. I can lug it down to 500 RPM and it'll handle it without a fuss. So, if you want power from idle it is a good one. But it probably gives away top end.

As for the pan, didn't you recommend a pan for Big Blue w/an o-ringed dip stick?

Big Blue is running the Edelbrock cam. I've read where people say it isn't enough cam, but it'll pull well from idle. I can lug it down to 500 RPM and it'll handle it without a fuss. So, if you want power from idle it is a good one. But it probably gives away top end.

As for the pan, didn't you recommend a pan for Big Blue w/an o-ringed dip stick?

I think I did, after posting the pictures of the new from Summit Ford Racing oil pan kit, pan, one piece gasket, oil pump pickup and new slide in dipstick tube with late model T handle dipstick.

Yep, that's the one. :nabble_smiley_good:

I posted the FRPP number of the rear sump kit and am well aware.

But I do not need a pan or a pickup.

If one of these later engines actually *had* the tube attached I would have

at least scavenged the pan and push in pickup tube.

But nooooo. Neither of them have the stick and tube.

And as far as I know the stick and tube are not available by themselves.

My Carter choke cap still hasn't shipped.

Ebay sellers that show stock, create a shipping label, and then order the

part in instead of just having it drop shipped really tick me off.

While I was under the truck messing about with my dipstick I noticed my cab

floor is going again (right under my heel, as usual)

I have another floor and a mig welder, but no place to fix it.

Who makes decent window seals for these trucks?

The LMC ones are all cracked and crumbling after 5 years.

Passenger side door is starting to blister in the pinch weld.

I'm just going to stick some plastic sprues through the drains and pour in

some epoxy while I'm working on the boat.

I don't need the pickup either, but Big Blue's pan is dented and both the gasket and dip stick leak like a sieve, so I'm going with that pan when I can pull the engine and fix the multitude of problems.

As for eBay sellers, I've been lucky - most of the ones I've used have shipped quickly. But that's not always the case, and I hope you get that choke cap soon.

On the weatherstripping, we don't have a longevity report, but Ozark1 reported this on this thread on FTE:

A couple weeks ago I replaced the window seals in my '84. Not being one to leave well enough alone..I figured I may as well do the doors too..NO PROBLEM..right? I used Carpenter window seals..so soon came Carpenter door seals . Opened the box like Ralphie. Then I saw it..a tiny sticker down in the corner..MADE IN CHINA !! Removed the old seal..installed new.Door would not shut past first click,so I called Carpenter and talked to parts Guru. He said..throw them away..I'll replace them. 3 days later..set 2..SAME deal.He said throw them away and I'll refund $$..SO..Called Steele..they get theirs from Carpenter..77.40/pr. Called LMC..80./pr. Carpenter supplies them.. Called Soffseal..they get theirs from Carpenter..55.35/ea. Called Metro Moulded..They get theirs from INDIA !.51.00/ea.(Rock Auto sells same for 59.00/PR.! Called Precision Replacement Parts.This is the Mother Ship..They supply everyone EXCEPT Metro..I called Gary, and he suggested I post this. And..FORD still sells them..89.00 EACH. Ordered pair from Metro this AM thru Rock Auto..$69/pr shipped...Will advise..

It looks like we only have two true sources, so if the Chinese version doesn't last I'd try the Indian version. And, reading that thread I was reminded that I promised to make a page about this subject on my web site - and haven't done so. :nabble_smiley_blush: Maybe soon.

This morning I rerouted my fuel and vacuum lines, swapped for a big metal fuel filter, adjusted my hood latch with a carbide burr in the die grinder, tried to aim my headlamps, and searched some more for my ticking sound.

IMG_20170904_091725.jpg.5a5f57b440bf5a4ed25155aee0f5f36a.jpg

IMG_20170904_075720.thumb.jpg.5f477b3e3cf34af034cfb5989f5a526a.jpg

IMG_20170904_090158.jpg.e8f6d268a182eeb837864da367bc5dda.jpg

IMG_20170904_090346.jpg.98cbaf2a3d3bbe77f689702acc9c9ab7.jpg

IMG_20170904_112343.jpg.09d834c6d29136f855b748f49d600ba9.jpg

This afternoon I finally noticed that my choke has shipped!

I'm going to start looking for a carbureted 460 to mildly build and swap in.

Or just a pair of early heads that I don't have to do so much work on compared to D3VE's

Then I can use one of these efi engines that are being scrapped.

I was perusing Scott's site and he was recommending the XE256H cam that that I was looking at.

I'm going to need better springs and would like lightweight retainers and pushrods (just because it can never hurt)

This morning I rerouted my fuel and vacuum lines, swapped for a big metal fuel filter, adjusted my hood latch with a carbide burr in the die grinder, tried to aim my headlamps, and searched some more for my ticking sound.

This afternoon I finally noticed that my choke has shipped!

I'm going to start looking for a carbureted 460 to mildly build and swap in.

Or just a pair of early heads that I don't have to do so much work on compared to D3VE's

Then I can use one of these efi engines that are being scrapped.

I was perusing Scott's site and he was recommending the XE256H cam that that I was looking at.

I'm going to need better springs and would like lightweight retainers and pushrods (just because it can never hurt)

I liked the XE256H I put in that 351W that we colluded on the valve swirling, head porting, etc. Would turn the tires from idle w/a C6 and 3.50's. But I don't know anything about it for a 460.

I liked the XE256H I put in that 351W that we colluded on the valve swirling, head porting, etc. Would turn the tires from idle w/a C6 and 3.50's. But I don't know anything about it for a 460.

And that engine ended up in Rusty, or Brownie? or where???

Scott also says that the XE-262-h can be used in a 460 and it is a blast to drive, but that you have to watch how much compression you have.

I've got a Torino/Cougar fanatic buddy who moved to Florida.

He probably has a few pair of regular 429-460 heads in addition to his

motherlode of PI/CJ/SCJ/SOC heads.

Have you ever seen the internals of a genuine Holman-Moody Talladega

engine? (Yeah, he's that nuts.....)

I would be real happy with any regular C8, C9, or D0VE-C heads to do a

little rubbing on.