Bullnose Forums

What did I just see....

Danny G

Dang!

Slightly unrelated, but I saw a Ford Excursion the other day that either had a very, very unhealthy 5.4, an unhealthy V10, or a 300 I6. My vote was for 300 I6 because that thing sounded just like a 300.

Probably the V10, it has a very flat exhaust note like a 300.

On the EFI, I am extremely familiar with positive pressure MAP sensors, considering I ran 14 psi boost on my 1985 Lebaron konvertible and will be running 15 on it's replacement. GM used a 3 bar MAP sensor on the turbocharged 3.8L V6s, in particular the Buick Regal GNX.

The normal MAP sensor is a 1 BAR or 0 - 15 psi with 15 psi being atmospheric pressure at sea level (where I am) the 2 bar is a 0 - 30 psi, with 15 being mid scale and the 3 BAR, 15 is 1/3 scale. All these are 0 - 5V output, unlike Ford's which is a frequency output.

On my Chrysler system, the computer is set up for 2.5V to be atmospheric pressure, 0V to be a perfect vacuum and 5V to be 15 psi boost. A 3 BAR is going to be 1.67V at atmospheric pressure, 0V at a perfect vacuum and 3.33V at 15 psi boost, 5V at 30 psi boost.

Dang!

Slightly unrelated, but I saw a Ford Excursion the other day that either had a very, very unhealthy 5.4, an unhealthy V10, or a 300 I6. My vote was for 300 I6 because that thing sounded just like a 300.

Shaun, I saw an Excursion the other day with a very healthy 7.3 Powerstroke!

None of this coal rolling, culvert piped b.s..

Real power with (visibly) a Banks exhaust and a wicked tune.

For a family truckster it gave me a funny feeling, in my pants.

Shaun, I saw an Excursion the other day with a very healthy 7.3 Powerstroke!

None of this coal rolling, culvert piped b.s..

Real power with (visibly) a Banks exhaust and a wicked tune.

For a family truckster it gave me a funny feeling, in my pants.

Corey Marshall, the manager of 4wd Parts here in Tulsa has an Excursion with a Powerstroke that he overlands. Says he gets 20+ MPG on the highway.

That's cool!

But with EFI there's no reason that it has to get poor MPG. With the right MAP sensor it could be tuned to have 14.7 AFR when there's no boost and then start to enrichen things as the boost comes on.

Soooo what your saying is if you built out a 300 and slapped an aftermarket EFI system on it like a FiTech or Holly sniper etc you could tune it to ramp up fuel delivery only when needed thus saving some MPGs, but allowing you to be silly when you wanted to.