Bullnose Forums

Ok, now I need some carb tuning advice (Holley 4160 600CFM)

Rembrant

Oh,...another question:

When you guys are setting up a carb...as in setting the idle mix screws and idle speed screw, do you do this with no air cleaner installed? I assume yes...because I can't reach any of that stuff with my air cleaner installed...

Yes, no filter housing.

I do have a Stub Stack though.

https://www.jegs.com/i/K%26N/599/85-0200/10002/-1?gclid=CjwKCAiA3OzvBRBXEiwALNKDP3Mdrl8Jk5blmTmcSbwqg_WdKFBdRTkTGpQUvwj-TCSmdg0w4CFpEBoC7hEQAvD_BwE

Smooths some of the turbulence as the flow breaks over the lip and choke horn.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh,...another question:

When you guys are setting up a carb...as in setting the idle mix screws and idle speed screw, do you do this with no air cleaner installed? I assume yes...because I can't reach any of that stuff with my air cleaner installed...

Ideally, tuning the idle mixture should be done with the air filter in place if possible but with a clean air filter should not make a huge difference. On my 300 six this is easily possible due to the off-set air filter housing my truck has and is how I tuned my idle air mixture.

Ideally, tuning the idle mixture should be done with the air filter in place if possible but with a clean air filter should not make a huge difference. On my 300 six this is easily possible due to the off-set air filter housing my truck has and is how I tuned my idle air mixture.

Absolutely true.

Someone has "borrowed" my flex shaft carburetor adjustment tool, and I've had to make do. 😡

Rembrant, I like that air filter spacer you have on your carb. Is it metal?

Hey Frank, yes sir it is aluminum. It is a nice little piece and has an o-ring seal on the bottom side. The only issue with it is that the ID is fairly snug and I had to grind a couple small spots where the choke plate rods move up and down. I've had it for a while, but I'm pretty this is it in the link below:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/trd-2011/overview/

I also have a 1" thick aluminum spacer under the carb too.

The reason I'm using the spacer was that I was running a fairly large air cleaner (14", I think) and it interfered with the plug wire boots on the distributor without the spacer.

IMG_6275.jpg.5ea86453dc42ef8e38e19dc79fbe40e6.jpg

Actually, with the open air cleaner I was running a plastic spacer, but when I switched over to the Foxbody dual snorkel air cleaner assembly, it was loose and sloppy on the plastic, so that is when I bought the aluminum one.

The reason I was asking is that I don't think I can reach any of the screws with the dual snorkel air cleaner on there. Maybe I'll stick the open element breather on there to get it set up...

IMG_8941.jpg.3f27e0062ca4e1e291d4dfde1d65c9dd.jpg

The reason I was asking is that I don't think I can reach any of the screws with the dual snorkel air cleaner on there. Maybe I'll stick the open element breather on there to get it set up...

Cory, just get a carb adjusting flex tool.

It's not hard to reach the base flange of a Holley -under the stock air cleaner- with one.

Mine was a hex handle that slid along a spring, with a slot bit on one end and a hex on the other.

It was also used for adjusting GM points distributors.

Iirc, I got it from one of those spinning racks of KD tools.

And posted a picture, back on FTE.

I'll see what I can find. Hoping to get her fired up tomorrow. I'm just gathering supplies to vent the dual exhaust outdoors so that I don't have the fire department here again (and a very angry Mrs. Rembrant)...LOL.

I didn't realize how expensive that garage exhaust hose stuff was until I went to buy some. Local shop sells them in 11' sections (3" hose) for $170 each (plus 15% tax of course). That was going to cost me $400, so that little plan got nixed quick. Anyway, brother in law had 20+ feet of an industrial 3" vent hose, so that should do the trick nicely. I even grabbed a couple rubber MJ couplings so that I can seal the tailpipes to the hose. Stay tuned...lol.

I'll see what I can find. Hoping to get her fired up tomorrow. I'm just gathering supplies to vent the dual exhaust outdoors so that I don't have the fire department here again (and a very angry Mrs. Rembrant)...LOL.

I didn't realize how expensive that garage exhaust hose stuff was until I went to buy some. Local shop sells them in 11' sections (3" hose) for $170 each (plus 15% tax of course). That was going to cost me $400, so that little plan got nixed quick. Anyway, brother in law had 20+ feet of an industrial 3" vent hose, so that should do the trick nicely. I even grabbed a couple rubber MJ couplings so that I can seal the tailpipes to the hose. Stay tuned...lol.

I think I mentioned how expensive that stuff was (Ray, said he was going to use dryer vent???)

But, yeah, it's not cheap.

I lied... 🙁

I found it in the back corner of the bottom drawer.

IMG_20191219_060836.thumb.jpg.b7b3517feaa39700b241cc6b744ff6cd.jpg