Bullnose Forums

Ok, now I need some carb tuning advice (Holley 4160 600CFM)

Rembrant

...and wait for my distributor to get back...which will be a little while since it hasn't even arrived there yet.

Well after 5 weeks without, I finally got my new distributor. Since I was replacing my intake gaskets, I figured it was a good a time as any to send my stock distributor out to Scott at Parkland to have it properly set up and tested, etc. Turns out my old stock DSII unit had a bent shaft and a worn out upper bushing. He said that it wouldn't work 100% and he recommended a replacement, and here it is. I just stuck it back in the block last night. I put a little bit of engine assembly lube on the gear but I feel like I should put some more on it. He's got me set up for 15 deg initial, 17 mechanical, and 17 vacuum. I think that will be a nice combo. I was running the timing at 16 deg initial for a little while and it was running nicely there.

IMG_9492.jpg.4b25e304e13ef7accdc3b9f8834e90bf.jpg

Now, to pick up some exhaust hose today so I can start the truck and run it without setting off the CO2 sensors in the house and making the fire department arrive for a visit...lol.

Unfortunately it snowed last night, and my clean and dry roads are gone, at least for a few days anyway, so no test drives. Bugger.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and wait for my distributor to get back...which will be a little while since it hasn't even arrived there yet.

Well after 5 weeks without, I finally got my new distributor. Since I was replacing my intake gaskets, I figured it was a good a time as any to send my stock distributor out to Scott at Parkland to have it properly set up and tested, etc. Turns out my old stock DSII unit had a bent shaft and a worn out upper bushing. He said that it wouldn't work 100% and he recommended a replacement, and here it is. I just stuck it back in the block last night. I put a little bit of engine assembly lube on the gear but I feel like I should put some more on it. He's got me set up for 15 deg initial, 17 mechanical, and 17 vacuum. I think that will be a nice combo. I was running the timing at 16 deg initial for a little while and it was running nicely there.

Now, to pick up some exhaust hose today so I can start the truck and run it without setting off the CO2 sensors in the house and making the fire department arrive for a visit...lol.

Unfortunately it snowed last night, and my clean and dry roads are gone, at least for a few days anyway, so no test drives. Bugger.

17* mechanical? That's a pretty tight slot.

Scott seems to have it down, and if your reluctor was wobbling I can see a problem there.

I'm eagerly awaiting the road test (maybe not as much as you. :nabble_smiley_super:)

Ha, ya...the rotor button barely moves at all.

I guess when you know your stuff, you know your stuff! When I had the engine broken in and tested on the dyno, it made it's best power at 32 degrees. I didn't tell Scott that, but that is exactly where he set it...15+17=32. I was running it for a little while with 16 deg initial, and it was much better there than the 10-12 I was running it previously, so I think his selection is going to be bang on. I told him what heads and cam I had installed, and how I was using the truck, and he selected the timing set-up from there.

What I learned that I didn't know prior to this was that the mechanical curve is not linear. I thought that with careful set up and adjustment of the springs you could get a pretty linear curve, but he said no, not at all...it still ends up like a arc, no matter what. Still...I'm glad I sent the distributor to him. I wouldn't have known it was bad otherwise...not like I can watch it spin in the engine like he can on the Sun machine.

Ha, ya...the rotor button barely moves at all.

I guess when you know your stuff, you know your stuff! When I had the engine broken in and tested on the dyno, it made it's best power at 32 degrees. I didn't tell Scott that, but that is exactly where he set it...15+17=32. I was running it for a little while with 16 deg initial, and it was much better there than the 10-12 I was running it previously, so I think his selection is going to be bang on. I told him what heads and cam I had installed, and how I was using the truck, and he selected the timing set-up from there.

What I learned that I didn't know prior to this was that the mechanical curve is not linear. I thought that with careful set up and adjustment of the springs you could get a pretty linear curve, but he said no, not at all...it still ends up like a arc, no matter what. Still...I'm glad I sent the distributor to him. I wouldn't have known it was bad otherwise...not like I can watch it spin in the engine like he can on the Sun machine.

Yeah, the advance isn't linear because

A) the weights swing an arc that is not centered at the fixed end of the spring, and even if it was, action of the arm is like a crank and connecting rod.

Have a look at some graphs of applied torque, though the cylinder pressure varies too.

B) light spring and stiff spring, it's not summing or a simple average.

He obviously knows his stuff.

You COULD HAVE had a Sun machine, you chose not to.... :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Yeah, the advance isn't linear because

A) the weights swing an arc that is not centered at the fixed end of the spring, and even if it was, action of the arm is like a crank and connecting rod.

Have a look at some graphs of applied torque, though the cylinder pressure varies too.

B) light spring and stiff spring, it's not summing or a simple average.

He obviously knows his stuff.

You COULD HAVE had a Sun machine, you chose not to.... :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I looked back at the last page (for context) and realized I have .040" (and .024 + .032) safety wire in my drawer.

It's mil-spec so I'd assume that's accurate enough to set a choke plate.

I looked back at the last page (for context) and realized I have .040" (and .024 + .032) safety wire in my drawer.

I ended up using some stainless safety wire I have on the shelf. I believe it was .030" or .035", so that got me in the right range anyhow. So now I have my carb set-up a little better with the throttle plates in a good starting position (they were not closing far enough before). I have the idle mix screws out 1.5 turns each.

New carb spacer and carb gaskets (old one was warped and leaking). New Fel-Pro intake gaskets (Old ones were leaking), and new properly set-up distributor. I also have a new DSII module that I'm not going to install until after I test this set-up. I was seeing some ignition oddities that and figured I should have a new module on hand just in case.

I think she'll run much better now. Compression is good on all 8 cylinders and about 30 psi higher than the engine was stock.

The only other thing on my to-do/want list, and it probably won't be until spring now, is to swap out the 600CFM Holley for one of those Summit 500CFM carbs with the annual boosters. There seems to be a fairly general consensus that the little 302 will work better with that carb. It may not make as much peak power, but it will run better at the lower RPM's where it is 99% of the time.

I ended up using some stainless safety wire I have on the shelf. I believe it was .030" or .035", so that got me in the right range anyhow. So now I have my carb set-up a little better with the throttle plates in a good starting position (they were not closing far enough before). I have the idle mix screws out 1.5 turns each.

New carb spacer and carb gaskets (old one was warped and leaking). New Fel-Pro intake gaskets (Old ones were leaking), and new properly set-up distributor. I also have a new DSII module that I'm not going to install until after I test this set-up. I was seeing some ignition oddities that and figured I should have a new module on hand just in case.

I think she'll run much better now. Compression is good on all 8 cylinders and about 30 psi higher than the engine was stock.

The only other thing on my to-do/want list, and it probably won't be until spring now, is to swap out the 600CFM Holley for one of those Summit 500CFM carbs with the annual boosters. There seems to be a fairly general consensus that the little 302 will work better with that carb. It may not make as much peak power, but it will run better at the lower RPM's where it is 99% of the time.

It may not flow as much CFM, but "power" and Absolute Horse Power are not the same.

You should have better signal and metering with the smaller carb.

My '85 5.0 GT had a 4180 (600) and its factory tune was about perfect after I pulled the plugs and adjusted the idle mixture.

It may not flow as much CFM, but "power" and Absolute Horse Power are not the same.

My '85 5.0 GT had a 4180 (600) and its factory tune was about perfect after I pulled the plugs and adjusted the idle mixture.

Ya know, those carbed GT's worked SO well for what they were. I had quite a few buddies that had them in the late 1980's...and then many more of the EFI versions after. I never did have one myself...I was rocking a *cough* 1984 Z28 *cough* in those days, before slowing down and buying my first Bullnose with a 351 2bbl and NP435.

My truck only weighs about 50-75 lbs more than a fully loaded Foxbody Mustang (I'm talking the later GT's when the "old" GT style became the lighter LX). I'm only mentioning this because I know that the 302 is plenty engine for what I'm doing with the truck, and I'm hoping I can get it dialed in to get some good MPG as well.

I've read about lots of people getting 20+ MPG with the Foxbody Mustangs over the years, so hopefully I can get mine working well enough to at least hit 20, if not a little better with some extra effort. Now that I have an AFR gauge, that will certainly help in the fine tuning department.

Oh, I forgot to reply to this comment. This is exactly what my goal/point is with the 500CFM carb.

The peak HP is of little concern to me. While I did pay extra to have my freshly built 302 run up on the dyno, my main reasoning for that was a proper break in. I wanted the the thing to be turn-key for when I got it back home, with no leaks or hiccups of any kind.

Oh, I forgot to reply to this comment. This is exactly what my goal/point is with the 500CFM carb.

The peak HP is of little concern to me. While I did pay extra to have my freshly built 302 run up on the dyno, my main reasoning for that was a proper break in. I wanted the the thing to be turn-key for when I got it back home, with no leaks or hiccups of any kind.

Oh,...another question:

When you guys are setting up a carb...as in setting the idle mix screws and idle speed screw, do you do this with no air cleaner installed? I assume yes...because I can't reach any of that stuff with my air cleaner installed...